Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maud Rd hunting

Default Maud Rd hunting

Anyone ever hunt up at the end of maud road by jim lake??? Can you get back there in the winter with a truck?? Looking for bunnies, ptarmigan and maybe some yotes if they're around..

just wasn't sure if that road was plowed or not? Don't worry, I'm Not looking for your hunting spot

Really just wondering if I can drive back there without a snow machine.

Thanks guys!

its not plowed.....you can ride a sled back there if you can find enough snow, but an atv is probably more ideal.... After the end of the road, its gets pretty rocky and rough and you may encounter some deep mud puddles and mud holes, a fun ride....not much game up there anymore.....gets hunted hard every year....not sure how the hare population is doing back there right now, but the grouse have been practically non-existent the last couple years. the ptarmies are wayyyy back, or you mite have to go up high to find them, a hike up to the top of Lazy Mountain might be more worth your time....which there isnt very easy access to the high country out there because its mostly cliffs.... if you do go back there try to respect other recreational users and be very cautious and aware of whats downrange of you when you shoot..... Im sure you know there are lots of houses just across the river and usually quite a few fellow hunters and riders in that area on any given day, and an accident is a very real possibility, as my truck was accidently hit by a bullet out there a couple years back.......Thanks and Good Luck

Jake

Release Lake Trout

I hunted Maud Rd in 09 and have been up there in June of last year. Not much to hunt from what I saw. Had to travel a long ways from the trail head to get away from the crowds. Did see a cow, and lots of sign. Did not see any bunnies or grouse. The trails are pretty muddy, lots of rocky terrain, can be fun though. Getting to the higher areas of the area can be tricky. The ATV trails can be steep and tight in some areas, and mud is on the trail. Did make it up to some beautiful views of the river below. Its pretty dry and rocky on the top. Don't plan to hunt there again. Ran into too many hunters. But if you want a fun days ride, I would recommend it. But just like Jake said, be careful of others up there shooting. Oh and I would definitely use a quad. I think a sled would be kind of hard to maneuver for the type of terrain and the lack of snow in some places.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

hunting there is no good, AGREED. way to overhunted in years prior

You also have to be aware that much of the area is owned by Eklutna Native Corp. Many of the signs have been removed by the slightly less intelligent population but the fact remains they, the natives, own it. Stay on the trails for a while and you should be fine. Please don't ruin it for those of us that access other hunting through their property. (Mud Lake and the other sloughs)

This area wouldn't be my first choice or even in my top 5 choices for bunnies. I've seen a handful grouse over the last few years, but not enough to warrant any attention. I would go east of Palmer & try different areas or down to the Kenai Penninsula.
    "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I live off of Maud Rd. I go back to the lakes all the time. I go there a lot because I don't have to trailer my machines to go for a ride plus I can be home in only a couple hours. I have yet to connect with any critters out there, ever, and I have lived here ten years. I was out on Jim Lk until nearly 2am last night, calling predator and came home empty handed again. I would have stayed longer and done more sets but, I had to get home to do my Arctic Oven overnight test. Like it has been stated that area has tons of traffic and little game. But don't be discouraged from coming out this way, just be prepared to have lots of company on the weekends or evenings. You may even get lucky and connect it beats watching TV.

That place has always caused me to scratch my head.

I duck hunt out there a lot and spend the mornings prior to shooting time listening to the coyotes and wolves. The coyotes sit between Jim Lake and Friday Creek and yap. The wolves sit between Friday creek and Metal Creek and howl. While hunting Leaf Lake one afternoon I watched a wolf make a move on some of the goats feeding on the mountain side above the swamp. The last time I hunted Jim Lake before ice up this fall I left around noon and while loading up the truck the coyotes were all over the hillside above the lake and to the east. Yapping up a big party it sounded like. There were three yapping above us at the lake and then two more to the east. All up on the mountain side.

So the animals are out there in the fall even with all our shooting in the swamps. However, come winter time and nothing according to the guys that put in the effort to hunt them. A serious head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    You also have to be aware that much of the area is owned by Eklutna Native Corp. Many of the signs have been removed by the slightly less intelligent population but the fact remains they, the natives, own it. Stay on the trails for a while and you should be fine. Please don't ruin it for those of us that access other hunting through their property. (Mud Lake and the other sloughs)
    Actually Eklutna only owns what amounts to a narrow north-south strip of property from the end of the paved part of Maud to just after the boat launch at Mud Lake. The boat launch is a permanent easement to the State that was part of the conveynce of the land. The majority of the land out there is state land. The little island of high ground where Jim Creek, Swan and Leaf lakes all meet up is the only privately owned land for miles around.

The ATV trails from McRoberts creek (end of paved road) out to the glacier are all under easements as part of the Knik Public Use Area. The issue is that with the land from the end of the paved road out to the boat launch being privately owned and also having several recreation trails on it is where folks can have an issue. You are tresspassing once you go off the trail.

Decent property maps that show general land ownership can be found on the Knik Public Use Area website at DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    The little island of high ground where Jim Creek, Swan and Leaf lakes all meet up is the only privately owned land for miles around.

and it's for sale!

Can you reach the Friday creek airstrip from the rippy trail in the summer? It has been years since I was on the rippy.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    and it's for sale!
    Do you have the listing info?

Thanks for all the info guys, I might mosey on up there just to take a look one of these days. I don't have a sled so it might have to wait until the snow clears.

and it's for sale!
    One of the owners of the cabin on that property goes by skybust on here. I wonder if he knows.

I believe I was referring to a different property. It doesn't quite match the description you gave.

False alarm.

Between Gull Lake and the mouth of Jim Creek is where I was referring to, just a mile or two E of there.

I believe I was referring to a different property. It doesn't quite match the description you gave.

False alarm.

Between Gull Lake and the mouth of Jim Creek is where I was referring to, just a mile or two E of there.
    Yea, the peninsula or commonly referred to as the finger. I've been there, camped there and would be interested in knowing more about a possible sale. Skybust?

This listing from Alaska List is for a strip of land between Gull lake and Jim Creek or the Knik river. It is not the parcel where skybusts cabin is located near Swan/Leaf Lakes.

The photos in the link did not open up into larger sizes when clicked in my browser. Your experience may be different.

Looking at the land status map from the KPUA website it would be the small dark brown rectangle between Gull Lake and the Knik. The skybust cabin site is the square to the east of Swan lake on the land status map.

If you look at page 20 the administrative ruling for the new rifle range up Maud Road you will see a better view of the property on a figure overlane with recent aerial photography. It appears that a little less than half the acreage is in Gull Lake.

Can you say duck club? Too bad you can not "own" the lake and make it exclusive.

be a good business id expect....you could probably make a good bear bait station or two around there as well, as there are an abundance of black bears in the area.....last year in 2 days of sitting at the old rifle range on maud road, glassing the mountainsides above, i counted 9 sows all with sets of 2 and 3 cubs, i really dont think they were the same ones either, because they were headin different ways, but i could be wrong.....no one really targets them cuz they can be hard to get to....strange tihng i only saw 2 boars....and they werent very big...i also saw 1 BIG grizzly at the very top digging up ground squirrells or maybe moths....saw him both days...then later that fall, right after the first real snow on the riverbottom, my buddy and i were drivin around past friday creek and saw what i believe to be his tracks, coming down from the direction of jim lake (i suspect he was feeding on the last of the silvers on the upper jim creek) and he was headed up towards knik glacier to find his denning spot....we just missed him that morning by maybe an hour or two, judging by the tracks in the fresh snow....followed his tracks for about 2 miles ( he was just strollin down the different trails, always generally headed for the glacier) until we hit a brushy overgrown trail we couldnt fit the yota onto.......ill be watchin for him....

Release Lake Trout

Does anyone know of anytrails heading up the mountain side out there. Or if there arent any would it just be bushwackn till i get above tree line. trying for a black bear out there this spring. Any suggestions would be great.

The trails I have found that go up turn into goat trails. Once up it can be very difficult to get an ATV turned around without rolling it down the mountain. Of course I've always been by myself, having a friend along would make it a lot easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast