Thread: Fishing in Alaska

Default Fishing in Alaska

What brand of rain gear should I buy for my trip to alaska?
    I've heard that good rain gear is important. I've never bought or owned rain gear. I'm considering waders for fishing in the river, how often is it that I will need to wade fishing in the kenai or russain?
    Can the wader take place of the pnats for rain gear?

I went to West Marine in California and they have rain pants and sale for 72 and rain jacket for 87 so about 170 for a set, is that a good deal or expensive?

I spent about $190 on my rain gear, and the top was on sale. I got them both at REI. The top is Marmot and the pants are REI brand. Both are lightweight and breathable, and compact very nicely. Don't be scared to lay down some dough on some good gear. You could also look at a Frogg Togg suit, much cheaper and still pretty good. REI should have a comparison sheet, as they do with most gear they sell. I couldn't be happier with my gear.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Wink waders

Before I moved here I came up 3 different times and always ended up buying hip waders when I arrived. This past summer I purchase breathable chest waders with wading boots and I couldn't believe the difference. I kicked myself for suffering with hip waders and limiting the area's I could wade in.
    I fished all throught the down pours in August with my chest waders and a good Columbia Rain coat without any problems. The waders are a must if your going to fish the Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Before I moved here I came up 3 different times and always ended up buying hip waders when I arrived. This past summer I purchase breathable chest waders with wading boots and I couldn't believe the difference. I kicked myself for suffering with hip waders and limiting the area's I could wade in.
    I fished all throught the down pours in August with my chest waders and a good Columbia Rain coat without any problems. The waders are a must if your going to fish the Russian!
    What brand wader did you buy?
    Are the chest wader the type that looks like a bib?
    How much roughly?

Talking Rain gear

Greatdane

You're post has many answer from Gortex to PVC etc.. Depending on you're budget and the amount of time you plan onf fishing in Alaska should be the determining factor on how much you decide to spend. You can look at a mid line PVC type of rain gear top and bottom for ranging from $65.00 to $200.00 depending on you're likes or dis-likes i.e. stiffness etc.... No neeed for Gortex or other breathable materials, or for that fact any high end field gear if you're plans are local fishing 3-4 days. If you plan on spending 30-40 days in the field you may want to look at higher end rain gear with a little more comfort and durability. Cabela's, Sam's CLub, Sportmans Warehouse are a few places to look.

Concerning the needs for waders verse Hip Boots etc.... Again depending on you're needs such as the Russain and or Kenai I would say Waders are the way to go and breathable are nice. Hodgeman sells a nice wader for about $90.00 again Cabela's with a felt sole wading boot ranging from $35-$60.00 bucks. Once in a while if you hit Sam's club you can find Caddis or similar brands of waders for about $80.00 again you will have to purchase some form of boot or shoe (Felt sole in my opinion is the best option) others have a different opinion.

Bottom line consider you're trip i.e. length of time and how much fishing you plan on accomplishing as well as the type of fishing and location prior to making a large investment into high end gear when mid line or less expensive may do you just fine.

Search the web in Cabela's ( I am not a huge Fan) however they do offer decent material at retail plus shipping, Orvis, Serria trading post and you will find good options with a varity of prices.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default Waders

What is the preference for stocking foot verus boot waders. Stocking foot seem much easier to deal with?

Default Re: Waders

If you get boot foot breathable waders - make sure you get a pair that has a good seal between the boot and the breathable wader. Many leak!

If you are dead set on the convienence of boot foot, cablelas sells a pair of breathable waders for $99 that does not leak.

Default Gear

Like it was already mentioned, consider how much you are going to use the equipement but don't buy something cheap and end up being limited or miserable your entire trip!
    I ended up with Columbia breathable (bib) waders ($125) with felt bottom wading boots ($35) and a Columbia Rain Jacket Shell ($40). I think one of the key things to look for is light weight so it will fit into your backpack/ luggage and FAST drying. They have very good selections and advice at the local stores so don't worry if you don't get it purchased ahead of time!

Default Difference

Quote Originally Posted by rgobell View Post
    What is the preference for stocking foot verus boot waders. Stocking foot seem much easier to deal with?
    IDKings makes a good point and in the past it was more of a problem then with today's equipment in the mid price range.

In my opinion there are three reason for stockting foot verses boot foot for fishing.

1- Weight boot foot tend to be completely rubber and heavy / bulky
    2- Boot foot waders normally do not fit you're feet exact to inlcude you're ankle so walking support is not as good
    3- Try walking in them great distances it is darn painful depending on the terrain.

:-)

Who knows you could wet wade in a t shirt and shorts! I like stocking foot for fishing boot foot for duck hunting. As for raingear, what do you do when it rains where you live? Chances are you can do the same here.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I don;t fish if it's raining where I live... or even if there's a chance of rain..

Chances are if i'm paying 300 for a trip and it rains.. captain will most likely go out.. so i have no choice to go.. better be prepared lol

Talking

Don't fish in the rain, LOL. Yep, you better be prepared cause the boats not going to stop for some rain.