Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Halibut Charter

Default Valdez Halibut Charter

Gonna be in Valdez in August and looking to do a halibut charter. I've heard good things about Orion, Otter Dodger and Halibut Grove, however, I think there will be 8 of us in my group and I'm pretty sure those outfits can only take 6 people at a time. Anyone have suggestions for a Valdez halibut charter that can take at least 8 people out?

Thanks.

There are only two certified boats in Valdez. One is the Misty Isle owner by Luck Of The Irish Charters and the other is the Lady Luck owned by Lady Luck Charters.

I have a question Can I still use The MWR charters in valdez for halibut or not?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

You would have to contact MWR to find out. My guess is they will not be doing Halibut because they did not qualify for a permit. MWR in Seward did.

Thanks. Anybody have experience with either the Misty Isle or the Lady Luck? I imagine they're fine but all charters are not created equal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    There are only two certified boats in Valdez. One is the Misty Isle owner by Luck Of The Irish Charters and the other is the Lady Luck owned by Lady Luck Charters.
    Wow, by certified I presume you mean they have a CHP? Only those two...I didn't realize getting the permit went back that far, I know there are lots of charters in Valdez that have been doing halibut trips for at least 8-10 years. Well, more butts for us private guys, I guess, but that is going to be the end of a lot of people in business there...people will still do silver charters, but few will want to go way out for ling and rockfish only, IMO.

To carry more than 6 passengers the boat must be inspected, and meet all the Coast Guard Requirements for a certified boat. Most inspected boats are larger and slower than the 6 pack boats. Misty Isle cruises at 22Knots and Lady Luck at 20Knots. Dan Orion, No Excuses, Harvester,Halibut Grove,Faithful and Otter Dodger all cruise at speeds between 28Knots to 30Knots.

Thanks, Captaindd, for taking time to explain this. I sorta knew that and forgot. Glad to see all those boats stay in business, I know of all of them and a few personally. But, I think No Excuses goes about 60 knots when it's calm!

No Excuses is powered by twin 42 series volvo diesels 246 hp cruise is 29 to 31 knotts top end is 38 to 39 knotts. Dan Orion is powered by twin D-6 Volvo Diesels he cruises at 30 Knots top end 42 Knots Harvester powered by twin 250hp Suzuki outboards cruise 31Knotts top speed is 47 Knots Halibut Grove powered by twin FMN 250hp Diesels cruise 30knots top speed 38Knots Otter Dodger twin D-6 310 Volvo Diesels cruise 30Knots top speed 37 knots, Orion powered by twin 250 Suzuki Out Boards cruise 32Knots top speed 50 knots, North Country powered by twin Mercurer 5.0 Bravo 3 260hp Cruise 30 knots top speed 50 Knots See Ron charter boat operators talk about the boat performance to see what works best. No Excuses, Dan Orion and Halibut Grove all get great speed combine with good fuel economy.

Wow, I guess you do share a lot of info! I just re a water taxi charter back to Valdez about 45 miles once on No Excuses and it just "thrummed" with power and took a little under an hour, or I thought it did, and was a really nice boat!

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    So Mr petre does these mean you will not be offering halibut charters this summer?

I have already started taking bookings for the 2011 season. I only can take 6 people as I am not certified. I do have a certified boat but it needs engines and it will not be used as it does not have a Halibut permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Wow, I guess you do share a lot of info! I just re a water taxi charter back to Valdez about 45 miles once on No Excuses and it just "thrummed" with power and took a little under an hour, or I thought it did, and was a really nice boat!
    I've been on this boat on several occasions for filming/hunting/fishing purposes and it...goes! Fast fast fast boat.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Where does the boat 'Dawn Treader' fit into all of this??

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Where does the boat 'Dawn Treader' fit into all of this??
    Dave, the new owner got a CHP for 4 anglers,,,I talked to the skipper the other day and he said he was running it again this year.

I knew that John had sold the boat years back, and that the new operator, Shark Tooth Charters, had been continuing with Mike (John's old skipper) still at the wheel most of the summer, but I'm not sure what a CHP is.

Does this mean they're still doing halibut, but cut back to 4 persons, or what?

If they're going to continue with halibut, but cut back to 4 persons, they'd have to up the rates to the point that I'd wager a lot of business would be lost.

They'd been doing some later summer shark charters as well, but I don't know if they're still doing those. I believe those were 4-person charters, if I recall correctly.

He used to tag along with a couple of different boats, going out to the Gulf on a fairly regular basis. How'd the others he fished near fare? (A lot of folks hesitate to go out that far with the charter boats without some one near by to depend on in case of emergencies, and understandably so.)

Sorry the CHP is the new Charter Halibut Permit, issued by NOAA. only charter boats that have them can fish for Halibut from now on. Dave had a smaller boat back in 2004/2005 he only took 4 people back then, those were the qualifying years, so the max number of clients you took fishing during one of those years is what you get qualified for. I don't no how he's going to make it work, you'd have to charge $450 per head with just four to make it pay.

To my knowledge all of us that fish the gulf got permits.

Sounds to me like there may be a lot of mid-size boats for sale in this State pretty soon, just based on some of what I'm reading. Good for buyers, bad for skipppers. And not so good for those folks who used to charter-fish for their annual halibut in their freezers.

Oh well; change seems inevitable, and as Alaska keeps growing, so do the changes.

Boats that are still business in Valdez. Harvester,Dan Orion,No Excuses, Faithful,Halibut Grove,Otter Dodger, Dawn Threader,Lady Luck,Alisa. Boats for sale with Limited Halibut Entry Permit El Gato, Misty Isle, Tango,Wild Iris and John GoodHands boat.
    Limited Entry Permits that where sold.....3
    Number of Boats that did not get permits 10

By "captaindd" post, I count about about 30 charter boats in Valdez. Now 10 didn't get permits. Are there only 20 or so charter boats with permits in Valdez now? Am I reading that right? I would have thought more, though I have zero experience over there. I'm a little curious (and a lot bored).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast