Thread: proper target rifle

Default proper target rifle

i am new to shooting. i would like to hit a quarter at 100 yards. i was given a savage model 187 which i have learned is not the gun for this goal. i would like any ideas of what type of gun, scope and ammo would be good for this. it would be strictly for target shooting as i am not interested in hunting

Quote Originally Posted by ronrocco12 View Post
    i am new to shooting. i would like to hit a quarter at 100 yards. i was given a savage model 187 which i have learned is not the gun for this goal. i would like any ideas of what type of gun, scope and ammo would be good for this. it would be strictly for target shooting as i am not interested in hunting
    Welcome to the forum!

It'll be tough to improve upon a rifle designed for precision work in .308 Winchester (i.e. a rifle like this, or this, or even this). There are numerous target loads (here, here, etc.) available for the .308 and the recoil is such that in a gun of modest weight it is very pleasant to shoot. There are numerous scopes that will work for target shooting, but you could do a lot worse than this variable or perhaps you prefer a fixed power scope. In truth there are lots of combinations that will work, but the items I linked are known entities that are durable and capable of consistent performance. Let us know what you decide.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

.223 Rem/5.56 nato round.

Any of the 22 centerfire calibers and practice, practice, and oh yeah... practice and have fun doing it

Hi there and GOOD FOR YOU! Shooting is a blast! This is one man's opinion, but starting out by blasting a pile of cheap brass and getting to know the gun you have is a great start. Is it the finest piece for accuracy? No. You can spend a pile of cash looking for that one. CCI and Remington both have inexpensive ammo to use and if you start relatively close with the open sites you can become a very good shot. My grandfather had a rack with swinging targets for us to learn with: sucked for an 8 y.o. but I did learn to aim carefully.
    As 1Cor15:19 says: "Let us know"

A good target rifle will hit a quarter at 300 yds. I'd say your best bet is a quality heavy barreled bolt action in .223. The .223 has very mild recoil in a heavy rifle, so is excellent for learning how to shoot accurately, ammunition is reasonably priced, and the .223 is an accurate round. As to scopes, there are plenty of good ones out there, I'd consider a 10x target scope, but spend some $ as the cheap ones generally have optics that are less than steller and the target image will be blurry. I'm partial to Leupold, but there are other good options out there. Weaver target scopes are highly regarded. Don't go crazy on magnification, you'll have issues with mirage at longer ranges.

It's pretty tough to find a .22 LR rifle that will hit a quarter at 100 yards without spending a ton of money.

However, I have shot a couple .223 and .243 Savage rifles that will do it no problem. My daughter's Ruger Model 77 in .243 will do it even with a light weight barrel.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ronrocco12 View Post
    As you are finding... the Savage rim-fire auto-loader w/ tube feed falls short on consistency when pokin' $Quarters$ consistently at the 100 yard mark. This isn't to say it's un-achievable when having a stellar outing some day at the range under perfect conditions, given a solid rest, provided a good clear sight picture, and keep from a happy trigger finger. When well cared for and tho' not a 100 yard performer, your old Savage 'plinker' is probably more accurate than you've experienced so far.

Looking for a designated 100 yard target rifle:

First you need to make some decisions on how you plan to shoot targets such as off a bench rest (sand bags, mechanical rests, bi-pods, etc.), prone position or prone with aids to improve your game, sitting position or sitting with aids, standing offhand or offhand with sling, and so on. In this case of toppling $change$ --- I suggest bench-rest being the good mode to start for success at your particular venture. What I'm getting at here is Tools... how you plan to shoot should outline the rifle, sight picture, and accessories to best suit the task.

To coin a catch phrase if you will, I'll give you one decent example of many for the 100 yard target rifle that will drive ya home to "E PLURIBUS UNUM"

Here's the set-up:

Rimfire Rifle - Savage Model 93R17BSEV 17HMR here's the link

Scope - Weaver GrandSlam 6-20x40 F/C DOT here's the link

Rings - Warne here's the link

Rest - BenchMaster here's the link

Ammunition - 17 grain V-Max at 2550 fps here's the link also from several sources, but eventually stick with one brand.

You do not need a center-fire rifle to achieve your objective at 100 Yards, yet if/when ya decided to go that route I'll have more suggestions for you.

thanks for everyones help and advice. i am going to start checking out the local dealers for that savage rifle, so far though, they only have 93r17 btv. what is the difference between the two? most of my shooting would be with a bench rest and without. the ranges here don't allow shooting most other ways.