Thread: Cordova in June

Default Cordova in June

I'm planning a little journey to Cordova June 17 - 20. I would think that there would be some fish there during this time. Was wondering if anyone has fished that area during June? Any other cool info on Cordova would be appreciated. I think it'll be a fun trip....

Cooper river salmon start in the system starting in May. Kings and Reds both start showing up as high as the Gulkana by Mem Weekend on some years. Cordova has a nice little lagoon which has planted Kings. You should have some Salmon to chase by that time and you will have most of the fishing you wish if you wish. The Eyak also has a nice run of Reds as well some Cutt fishing. I went there around the 4th of July last time and everything was in full swing and the Kings were blushed. I also have fun tossing into the salt by the Lagoon all kinds of neat things to catch.

Take the hike up Power Creek Trail "watch for bears" Reds will be working into the system on Power Creek "No Fishing for Salmon" You also have McDonald Lake to fish as well as a couple of side sloughs and additional creeks. Take the time to drive up to the Million Dollar Bridge and watch the Glacier fall into the Copper! Stay on the platform eh! You will know what I mean when you get there.
    There is also places to stay that rent boats as part of the deal on the Eyak always a fun time.

Have Fun Enjoy! Bring Rain Gear!

The Eyak has the earliest sockeye run I know of, people start seeing jumpers in the river in early April, it also has one of the latest running into September. If you drive out the Copper river highway you'll run into Alaganik slough at about 18 mi. I have seen people slaying socks at the bridge on Solstice day. Theres cutthroats in all the beaver dams and ponds on the delta along the road. If you drive out to 52mi where the glacier is you can pick socks and kings off the beach every time the glacier calves cause the waves wash them on shore. The kings that BlueMoose refers to at the "lagoon" or "hippy cove" are gone they quit releasing them about 7 years ago.

Eyak River Red, caught by the weir. Fly only area, bring heavy flies and sinking line.

From the protected zone.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hippy Cove is dead! Dang I really need to get back there! Thanks for the update Fullblush! That's it I am old! Dang it!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The Eyak has the earliest sockeye run I know of, people start seeing jumpers in the river in early April, it also has one of the latest running into September. If you drive out the Copper river highway you'll run into Alaganik slough at about 18 mi. I have seen people slaying socks at the bridge on Solstice day. Theres cutthroats in all the beaver dams and ponds on the delta along the road. If you drive out to 52mi where the glacier is you can pick socks and kings off the beach every time the glacier calves cause the waves wash them on shore. The kings that BlueMoose refers to at the "lagoon" or "hippy cove" are gone they quit releasing them about 7 years ago.
    ADF&G still stocks kings at hippy cove

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...cSearchResults
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

INSTRUCTIONS: Sort your results by clicking on the column headers. Clicking again reverses the sort. Clicking date, then species will sort by species first, then by date.
    Fish Stocked in Fleming Spit, Cordova in the PWS Area

Chinook Salmon Jun 14, 1999 49,773 4.3 Diploid Chinook Salmon May 25, 2000 45,000 4.5 Diploid Chinook Salmon May 31, 2001 94,812 4.2 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 10, 2002 109,656 4.1 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 21, 2003 109,757 4.2 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 01, 2004 58,000 4.4 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 17, 2005 87,591 4.2 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 07, 2006 113,576 4.1 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 06, 2007 119,860 3.8 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 08, 2008 114,627 3.9 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 10, 2009 68,173 3.5 Diploid Chinook Salmon Jun 09, 2010 111,383 3.9 Diploid

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    ADF&G still stocks kings at hippy cove

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/State...cSearchResults
    Uh ADF&G has nothing to do w/ stocking Fleming Spit other than issuing permits to do so, its PWSAC's baby. PWSAC stocks Cordova, (Tatitlek I think) , Chenega and Whittier as part of community relations. There hasn't been one king salmon that I know of that has returned for about 5 years. When I was on the PWSAC board of directors in 05-07 they were done w/ kings. Something may haver changed though I doubt it. If it did I hope they used a different strain of kings, the deshka king brood stock produced some goofy kings they were actually pathetic. I'm not disputing they may have restarted the program. When I click on the state link you provided it showed an error. I'll call Dave Regianni w/ PWSAC and get the actual skinny

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Uh ADF&G has nothing to do w/ stocking Fleming Spit other than issuing permits to do so, its PWSAC's baby. PWSAC stocks Cordova, (Tatitlek I think) , Chenega and Whittier as part of community relations. There hasn't been one king salmon that I know of that has returned for about 5 years. When I was on the PWSAC board of directors in 05-07 they were done w/ kings. Something may haver changed though I doubt it. If it did I hope they used a different strain of kings, the deshka king brood stock produced some goofy kings they were actually pathetic. I'm not disputing they may have restarted the program. When I click on the state link you provided it showed an error. I'll call Dave Regianni w/ PWSAC and get the actual skinny
    PWSAC stocks the coho, ADF&G stocks the kngs. I was there two years ago when ADF&G brought their stocking truck with chinook smolt on the barge. My last post #7, is the stocking list for kings at Fleming Spit. This is straight from the ADF&G stocking website. June 9, 2010 (111,383) diploid chinook were stocked.

To find the link go the home page http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/ place the pointer on the fishing tab,go to hatcheries, then stocking and release. Now do your search by area (PWS), choose location (Fleming Spit, Cordova) and voila.

Default Dawg gone it!

This is like the 4th time in 2 days I've fully inserted my foot in my mouth!
    Good job tuning me up w/o making me look like a total moron, I'll take the liberty of doing that myself!
    On a side note I'm gonna be vigilant at the cove this summer waiting for your handiwork to arrive

I got one two years ago at hippy cove on the flyrod.

were you fishing in the pond or the other side? Whats your gut feeling on how many are coming back this year, fishable numbers?

Right on the other side. Was fishing the incoming tide and noticed a school a few hundred yards down the beach. Ran down the shoreline and started casting as the school followed the shoreline. I was using a herring/sandlance pattern. Went last year twice and only saw one caught.

Default It's nice

Cordova's pretty sweet in June - I had a good time there last year (worked there all month).

Eyak Weir - I took the opposite route from Steve. Fished nymphs dead drifted below a indicabobber with floating line. Fished early (5am - 7am) when no one had bothered them.

I had a good time with Pipeline cuts.

Go see the glacier and bridge.

Never caught any kings (or saw any caught) at Hippie Cove, but I did really well out there a few times on searun dollies.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm getting excited about going. Sounds like I'll be there at a decent time. I'll try to post pics when I get back.