Thread: Blast from the past

Default Blast from the past

I was cleaning house and found some old photos.

This picture was taken out at Birchwood after a Chuck Taylor Submachinegun class when I was a firearms/ NFA salesman in the mid 1980s.

I sold that M-60 for $3,995. Today, that same M-60 would fetch $30,000 or so. Not a bad investment. I wasn't making enough money as a newlywed to buy one for myself then the depression of the mid 80's hit... followed by the NFA of 86 and the Knowles administration refusal to allow the CLEO to sign Form 1 & 4's.

Cheers,

David

No photo seen here on my computer.

Nope I take that back... It just needed to be re-booted...

Yeap the Gov Knowles days from 94 until 02 were pretty dim. One day I was an up and commer under Gov Wally then the rug was pulled out.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    No photo seen here on my computer.
    I can see it on mine, but here is the hot link,

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...scan0007-1.jpg

DT

From bottom right to left, all select fire, BAR, Valmet 78, M-60, Reisling 50, S&W 76, Sten, Uzi, MP-5, M-16, H&K 93, M-16, MP-5

Teague, that is a very cool "blast from the past," especially your numbers on the value of those guns, Wow interesting post

ps pic worked here
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Ah, the good old days. I remember a company out of Kalifornika offering dealer samples of 1927 Thompsons for $395.00, how much would one of those go for today? Or get this: water-cooled Browning .30 with pintle, tripod and brass cooling radiator complete in wooden packing crate for $695.00!!! They had a bunch of stuff, many different subguns available. The days of the $695.00 Micro-Uzi are long gone.

Don't you just hate demoncrats? They ruined it all for us all.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Teague, that is a very cool "blast from the past," especially your numbers on the value of those guns, Wow interesting post

ps pic worked here
    Glad you liked it.

Each of the M-16s? About $12,000 now. I was selling them for about $1100. The Valmet, ditto. The Valment was suppose to be mine...

well, it was mine. I owned it as a semi and I sent it off to be converted to select fire on the shop's Class III license.

I had the Form 4 signed by Chief Porter of APD and just before I mailed it off with my $200 tax, my wife got laid off from work and I couldn't justify the cash expenditure at the time. So I let my employer sell it, planing on buying something else later (an Uzi or MP 5).

Then:

the depression of the mid 80's hit... followed by the NFA of 86 and the Knowles administration refusal to allow the CLEO to sign Form 1 & 4's. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Never did get a buzz gun of my own. Now I'll just have to settle for a SBR. Sigh.

Cheers,

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Don't you just hate demoncrats? They ruined it all for us all.
    No, I'm still pissed with the NRA as they bargained machineguns away for the right to import old military rifles (remember he flood of M1's, M1carbines, SKS and others of that ilk that burst onto the market later in 86 and 87?).

I knew at the time that the NFA of 86 would be used as a stepping stone to attack self loading rifles and my concerns came true with the "Safe street act of 92".

I went around and around with W.A.R. at the time saying the NRA needed to kill that bill, but he disagreed. He said something about if a Ford dealer ordered in 100 trucks ans 3 were the wrong color you wouldn't send them back, would you? I said, yes if they were Chevys. He didn't get it. Sigh...

Now that I think about it, he always had a thing for old service rifles and 1911a1's.

What would you rather have now? A $700 M-1 carbine or $1200 select fire M-16 or Uzi ?

Cheers,

DT