Thread: Traditional FOB

Default Traditional FOB

DSCF1316.jpg DSCF1318.jpg

"F"inished "O"sage "B"ow. Ha! Meet my new friend. 60" 58# Sinew backed osage with diamondback skins.

DSCF1326.jpg String keeper so you don't lose it when carrying unstrung. DSCF1327.jpg High tech leather arrow shelf.

Thumbs up

You do very nice work, it;s beautiful. How does it shoot?

She sinks an 800 grain hickory shaft deep into the foam and fairly flat out to about 25 yards. Sounds like a walnut hitting soft ground when the string is loosed. About 1/2" set. Perfect hunting bow. Course, I'm a little bias.

Outstanding! Love the string keeper, might have to pirate that idea. The last snakeskin backed bow I made I gave away as a give. I've always second-guessed that decision a little as it was probably the prettiest bow I've made. I think you've inspired me to make another!

Jeff

Beautiful!

Pardon my ignorance, but do skins offer any function, or are they purely aesthetic?

Their real purpose is to protect the sinew from moisture but they do add to the "wow" factor. Fish skins would work too but not as much wow and you would need to piece them together unless you catch a 30" plus king.

Very Nice Dave but you need to post some pics of the dark beauties you have. The silk backing would be of interest to many here I am sure!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Will do Rick. Poly needs to dry a day or two before wrapping the handles. Finally sprayed them down yesterday. Been home with flu stricken daughter#3. Figured I get a little work done in the garage. No sense burn'n daylight.

Ohhh hope she heals fast! Gun had some bug that was short lived but intense!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Very nice job on the bow. Can we see the tiller?

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Outstanding! Love the string keeper, might have to pirate that idea.
    (BTW, string keeper holes have been around at least as long as the longbow that my dad passed on to me, in other words, since 1943 when it was made for him. And yes, it's a shooter, not just a looker.)

Wow, that looks really nice. Any chance of sharing your osage source?

I brought a private little stash with me when I moved up. I had the tools and the wood but could only bring one or the other. It took me a while but I finally bought new tools. Had to convince the Canadians it wasn't firewood on the way up. That was fun. They never seen yellar wood.

Shameless.

Gotta trick a man into looking at this thread...

Congrat's on your new bow! Maybe we'll be hunting goats with that thing this year! (cross your fingers)

Taylor

CONGRATS! That bow has a "soul" that wheel bows will NEVER have. Best of luck with that work of art!

Aaah...come on...admit it Marc. You have feather envy. I'm fletch'n up some special goat arras right now. They just might have enough mojo to get us drawn.

Looks great Nice work

Very nice. Gorgeous bow like that needs a real name...