Thread: Charter question for no halibut charters

Default Charter question for no halibut charters

We go out on a ling-rockfish charter not fishing for butt`s ,but catch one can it be kept ?
    As there`s going to be more ling-rockfish charters now with the new rules .And with the future size limits coming, does that mean no more Homer Derby for butt`s.

Good questions. I asked that one about the halibut last year and no one had an answer, just a lot of guesses. If a person is a customer and catches a halibut, how can anyone legally prevent him from keeping it? Who gets in trouble, the captain or the customer? Will the captain be wrestling the customer on the deck of the boat trying to pry it out of his hands???
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I am sure it will be treated just like an undersized lingcod or a lingcod out of season. Not able to be kept. Charter captain sure is not going to want to have it on his or her boat.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    We go out on a ling-rockfish charter not fishing for butt`s ,but catch one can it be kept ?
    As there`s going to be more ling-rockfish charters now with the new rules .And with the future size limits coming, does that mean no more Homer Derby for butt`s.
    Your out Moose hunting and caribou season is closed,a nice bull caribou walks right in front of you,can you shoot it???? What do you think?????

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Your out Moose hunting and caribou season is closed,a nice bull caribou walks right in front of you,can you shoot it???? What do you think?????
    The problem is that Halibut season would be open and the client has a valid license that allows 2 halibut to be kept in South Central.
    It is only the guide that is under restriction.
    I would still believe you would have to release the fish as the guide cannot have it on his boat.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If I were in that situation, I'd crank up the motor, and head back to the dock. I'll have the troopers on the cell phone, requesting that they meet me at the dock to "handle" the defiant client, who was not willing to follow the rules. Would I get into an altercation over it with the client? No. I'd let the troopers handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Wrong. That is what they want you to believe. As soon as you step foot on a charter boat, YOU are under restriction based on what the charter fisherman can or cannot do based on the permit the boat has. YOUR limits are cut, and YOUR rights as a sport fishermen become different from other anglers who paid the exact same amount for a fishing license.

Charters don't keep the fish. You do. You are under restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The problem is that Halibut season would be open and the client has a valid license that allows 2 halibut to be kept in South Central.
    I would still believe you would have to release the fish as the guide cannot have it on his boat.
    The point is, it's against the law to keep Halibut on a charter boat without a CHP...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    The point is, it's against the law to keep Halibut on a charter boat without a CHP...
    I figured that you couldn't keep a halibut in the scenario .
    I didn't realize that the client was under the restriction because of the new rules just that the guide couldn't have halibut on the boat.
    Either way you aren't going to be allowed to keep any halibut in the scenario posted.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

this was a straight up question ,as there no real answer in the rules . Got nothing to do with moose and bou ,i can pull the trigger or not can`t see whats biteing in 200 plus feet of water

I see your point Captian T, but the season is not closed for the fisherman with a license to catch and keep halibut, only the Charter Boat Captain. (arguably) I just see a big conflict and I'll be interested to see how things play out legally in the next season with violations, and who gets fined, the fisherman or the captian, or both.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I think there is not really a conflict. Keeping halibut on a charter vessel without a valad CHP is a violation of federal law. You will be fined a ton of money and likely so will the captain that allows this. I am sure enforcement is going to be in all their glory this summer, taking charter guides off of boats in hand cuffs for keeping halibut on their "free fishing trips" and time share trips and whatever other smoke and mirrors those brave souls try where you pay 800 per day of lodging and meals and the "halibut fishing is free". Thats what happened when IFQ's were implemented...Lots of fines and stuff for non compliance. Good luck out there!

There are a couple of lodges out in PWS....some that have self-guided fishing, they provide the boat gear bait, clients go out alone, are they able to keep halibut?? The lodge folks also have guide licenses and do guided fishing, I presume on those boats, halibut can only be kept if the guide has a CHP....what if an employee of the guide that runs the lodge goes out with lodge clients, that is also considered a charter?

No smoke and mirrors intended here, AKCAPT, just wondering because I know some folks that run a lodge and don't know if they are aware of all this, they work abroad during the off season. They might have a CHP so these would be mute questions.

Raven Craft Lodge has 1 halibut permit. In Sanity has 1 halibut permit. If you have a fishing guide LC you must have a halibut permit to fish halibut in order to keep them.