Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best fire starter

Default The best fire starter

I was reading a story and it got me thinking about the need to keep a fire starter on a lanyard whenever I am out hunting. This is for those hypothetical situations when you could fall crossing a stream(and lose your pack), or strike an underwater object while in your boat etc and find yourself swimming to shore without any gear except that which you have on yourself. So lets hear it. What is the best single piece of fire starting equipment on the market which is small enough to keep around your neck?

Standard Bic lighter and some cotton balls soaked with vasoline in a old film canister.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Standard Bic lighter and some cotton balls soaked with vasoline in a old film canister.
    That's would be a funny looking necklace! funny funny!

Ranger Rick's Special Ops Survival Necklace is a good day-trip item to have on you and provides the outdoors-man with some basic (albeit minimal) survival necessities. I wouldn't rely on it as my primary fire starter or survival kit mind you (I have a more complete one in my day-pack) but if combined with cotton soaked balls like tyrex13 suggests and an emergency blanket it could prove to be a valuable tool.

Here are a few pictures for those interested.

"He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    You read my mind. I had my boy scout troop make a whole bunch of those once. Melt the petroleum jelly and dip the cotton balls in - super easy! We took one out to the parking lot and lit it so the boys could see how long it burned. After 12 minutes, they got borred and stomped it out. I like the film canister idea, but they are getting hard to find. We used snack size ziplock bags to store them in. Fits nicely in your pocket.

This reminds me of a military survival school I went to a few years back. We as students had nothing in the line of high-tech items. The instructor started discussing fire starting and said he was going to show us how a real man would start a fire. We,, we were thinking we would see some super sluth Ninja-style covert ops super secret military technique on fire starting...He pulled out a Bic lighter and used it to start the fire. He then said that if we thought everything had to be hard we were missing the point of survival. To me it's just as funny now as it was for us then.

My emergency fire recipe: One dozen or more cotton balls with Vaseline massaged into them, a Bic lighter, and a Blast Match sparking device. It's a small package, light, and simple to use. I use one of those vacuum sealer thingies for some of my survival things because it compacts things, but for this stuff I don't use one...I don't' want the vaccum to pull the fuel out of the lighter.

AJ

Magnesium and flint stick is the best single piece item.

Quote Originally Posted by DGW View Post
    You read my mind. I had my boy scout troop make a whole bunch of those once. Melt the petroleum jelly and dip the cotton balls in - super easy! We took one out to the parking lot and lit it so the boys could see how long it burned. After 12 minutes, they got borred and stomped it out. I like the film canister idea, but they are getting hard to find. We used snack size ziplock bags to store them in. Fits nicely in your pocket.
    I make my own wetfires by first rubbing petroleum jelly on the cotton balls and than dipping them into melted wax, as long as you leave the center dry they work great. In fact here is a pic of them floating in water burning away.

2011-01-23201852.jpg

As for the film canisters just go to your local film processing store and ask them for some.

Now to the topic at hand, I carry on my key chain a steel match. You can get them really cheap on ebay this was just a quick and I found this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Survival-Magnesi...item45f8849f31 I have bought four of them for a buck and free shipping if you find the right one.

For what it's worth, you can get double duty out of your vaseline soaked cotton balls if you use Neosporin or some other petroleum based antibiotic ointment. It could keep you from a nasty infection as we all know how easy it is to get a bad cut when you are way out up No-Tellum-Creek.

Thanks Kantill for the suggestion where to find film canisters. I have been wishing I had more lately as I need to make more fire starter kits.

Scott

5 gallons of regular unleaded and a lighter !

Duct tape and a magnesium fire starter with a flint. The duct tape and magnesium will light soaking wet. The tape burns for a good 3 minutes and can be used for other things. Cheap, easy and light weight. Usually not around my neck though.

I use dryer lint, onld candle wax and a egg carton. Fill each egg cell with lint, melt the wax and pour into the carton, cut to the size you want. I make up a batch every year or so, i have them in all my packs, even make some bigger ones that go in the car for the summer.

Haven't tried vasoline, how long will it burn?

I started adding a piece of aluminum foil (about 12" square) to my little fire starter kit in my pack. I use it as a base to start the fire on. Sure helps if the ground is cold and wet. I just fold it up small and vaccum seal it up with the rest of my fire starter. It dosent weigh much and it also works good to wrap meat up and cook in the fire coals if not needed for a fire base.

Also, Fritos are good fire starter. Man, the oil in those things burn like crazy as long as they are not dried out stale.

Yep Fritos and doritos both work great and don't underestimate good ol pine pich, that stuff works great.

I do the cottom balls and vaseline also. I also carry a 30 min road flare. Starts wet wood with no problem. When in camp and not having to carry anything in, mix tide powder with gas to make a paste. Burns very hot and long. A little goes a very long way.

Ain't nothing better than Trioxane compressed fuel bars,, they're lightweight,,they come in air/water tight package, a little spark will light em in about any weather condition wind snow rain don't matter they will burn,,and they burn hotter than the blazes of hell..

one trick i learned regarding the cotton balls (or small rolled up newspaper) dipped in wax... tie a small string around the cotton ball and dip the cotton ball in the wax hanging from the string. When the wax/cotton ball dries cut the string off leaving just a short 1/4" tale. That leaves a small "wick" to light the cotton ball and dipping the cotton ball in the wax with the string saves on trying to dig a cotton ball out of hot wax with the wifes cooking untencils. Yea, I learned it the hard way....

wax paper is the best. will always light....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Ain't nothing better than Trioxane compressed fuel bars,, they're lightweight,,they come in air/water tight package, a little spark will light em in about any weather condition wind snow rain don't matter they will burn,,and they burn hotter than the blazes of hell..
    +1 on the Trioxane. If you need a fire and you are very cold and clumsy. The fuel bars coupled with a BIC and weather proof matches are the way to go. Cotton balls, candles, birchbark, spruce branches all work well. But if you want something that will light wet wood in an emergency with no coaxing required. Go with the fuel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Magnesium and flint stick is the best single piece item.
    I have one too. Starts a wet log everytime without a match.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast