Thread: MatSu Ice Fishing

Default MatSu Ice Fishing

I have just moved up to Palmer and was hoping for some suggestions on where the best fishing is... what are the best lakes for different fish? Pike? trout? char? I am from Michigan so I am used to fishing for pike and trout but am also curious on the best way to fish for char? depth, bait, etc. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morenci Matt View Post
    I have just moved up to Palmer and was hoping for some suggestions on where the best fishing is... what are the best lakes for different fish? Pike? trout? char? I am from Michigan so I am used to fishing for pike and trout but am also curious on the best way to fish for char? depth, bait, etc. Thanks

any lakes in the matsu the russians already fished out the first week of ice fishing season, even some of the harder to get to lakes, best bet is to get a snowmachine and try to get to redshirt, thats all i can think of now.
    Semper Fi!

Ya got kids? Ya cant fish (For the kids only) but show up at Knik Lake this saturday and meat a bunch of us and get some of that good info and a hot dog or two.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Ya got kids? Ya cant fish (For the kids only) but show up at Knik Lake this saturday and meat a bunch of us and get some of that good info and a hot dog or two.

them hot dogs free?
    Semper Fi!

What kind of fishing are you looking to do. F&G has a list of stocked lakes. any of them should be good spots for catching numerous mostly small fish.
    Finger lake might be an option for trout and char. If you are solely interested in big fish I would try for some char on big lake. In the last 3 years of fishing there I have only caught 3 char there under 20". Just take note it will probably take hours of fishing with nothing before you catch one. I think I average about 1.5 hours per fish.

Catching char is pretty similar to trout in most places. I do think char like spoons better than trout. In most places I would drop a piece of shrimp down. I have also had some luck with cutting strips of hooligan and putting it on a jig head.
    In no bait areas I use gummy jigs and spoons.

char in palmer try irene you will also catch some rainbows. for rainbows try canoe lake, finger is also a pretty good lake. for pike localy try prator, memory, and the little pond behind the church at the big lake cut off. but like greythorn said fishing in the valley for pike is slow unless you get out too figure 8. also try some lakes in willow like shirley, rainbow, nancy, to name a few for pike. as for char fishing in lakes that u can use bait on try shrimp or balls of fire on a medium sized spoon color depending on water clarity. remeber on big lake there is no bait or trebel hooks allowed.

Do you have a power auger first and foremost because if you are planning on using a hand auger the ice is 3 feet thick right now. If this is the case i reccomend you hit matanuska lake or finger lake there are always people out on the lake and they will be happy to sink a few holes for you or you can usually find a few holes from someone else. If your interested in tagging along one weekend let me know I am in Palmer and usually spend at least one day a week on the ice.

you can get ahold of me too i try to get out atleast every sunday. some people go to church i fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    you can get ahold of me too i try to get out atleast every sunday. some people go to church i fish.

ya cant catch nothing but "zZzzzzzZZzz's" at church.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks guys... I'll check back with you on the weekend fishing, won't be this weekend, got a super bowl to watch...

if youd rather sit inside and watch the game..... then maybe you should just quit fishin and find a different hobby, like golf......You can always watch it later, where as the fish wont always be there........besides you should already know that the steelers are gonna win because of their crooked refs.

Release Lake Trout

Hey Matt, are you from Montmorency county? I'm from Atlanta Mich. Long lake is a good lake to fish, mile 84 glenn hwy, lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by fish on View Post
    Hey Matt, are you from Montmorency county? I'm from Atlanta Mich. Long lake is a good lake to fish, mile 84 glenn hwy, lakers.

and if you somehow manage to unglue yourself from the couch and the TV, and you do manage to drag yourself out to Long Lake.....Be a true sportsman and do your best to release the lakers and burbot since they are wild and are not stocked by ADFG......Southcentral Alaska will think very highly of you and Thank you, and youll be helping to save this local laker and burbot fishery (the only one in the local area mind you) for the future. There are plenty of big char to be had as well, and lots of stockers for the kids, both of which are stocker by ADFG 2+ times a year.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    Do you have a power auger first and foremost because if you are planning on using a hand auger the ice is 3 feet thick right now.
    You sure on the ice being 3 feet thick? Here in the Fairbanks area the ice is 30 inches thick. I know we get much colder than you guys do down there. I am still drilling holes without an extension on the auger as of yet

Quote Originally Posted by Morenci Matt View Post
    Hey Matt, click on this link below. It should get you started..

Fish On!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...MatSuLakes.pdf
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/