Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical vehicles for Alaska?

Default Practical vehicles for Alaska?

If I were to move to Alaska, would a conversion van be impractical? I would hate to sell it as it only has 20,000 miles, I don't want to take the loss on it. I don't drive it often becouse I prefer my 4x4 3/4 ton. Also I don't think I'd have much use for a 18' Eb w/sun deck and swim platform? I'm guessing not to much waterskiing and tube pulling up there.

bet more times than not you would get more use out of your 3/4 ton

Lots of tubeing and party boats on big lake just never gets above 65 degrees
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

You guys wearing wetsuits or what?!

We get a water craft season most years, no wet suit most days. There are a couple lakes near Fairbanks that have lakes that you can run prop ski boats on.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by del la rey View Post
    bet more times than not you would get more use out of your 3/4 ton
    I wouldn't mind trading the van for a truck with under 35,000 mi on it. But who would want a conversion van istead of a pick-up? Not me.
    Now I'm kicking myself for buying the **** thing!

stid2677
    Nice to know that! I really don't want to sell all my stuff. If I can use it I'd just rather keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
    I wouldn't mind trading the van for a truck with under 35,000 mi on it. But who would want a conversion van istead of a pick-up? Not me.
    Now I'm kicking myself for buying the **** thing!
    Van would be ok during salmon season. haul your stuff, camp in it, but if your planning on driving its gonna put a decent amount of wear and tear on your vehicle. You would definately get a better sale price down there than trying to sell it here. As for the boat there are alot of lakes in the valley you could kick it on. As far as the temperature all I can say is you get used to it pretty quick you wont need a wet suit to tube on the lakes.

Camping was the main reason I got the van, I just wanted a window van I could pull a seat out of but couldn't find one here. Nice to know I'd have use for the boat! I'm also surprised you guys have jet skis up there, looks like fun, always wanted to try one but most places I go there not allowed.

Camping was the main reason I got the van, I just wanted a window van I could pull a seat out of but couldn't find one here. Nice to know I'd have use for the boat! I'm also surprised you guys have jet skis up there, looks like fun, always wanted to try one but most places I go there not allowed.
    You'd be surprised what people are doing with jetskis up here. There are people, completely nuts in my opinion, who go out deer hunting on remote islands out in Prince William Sound. As with many things, what are toys to people in most other areas tend to become tools up here. There is a lot of thoughts along the lines of: "I wonder if I could use this (insert toy here) to do that (insert activity here)."

Just wondering how long does it take to get from Big Lake to Anchorage? Also, this valley people talk about is that mat-su?

Big lake is about an hour from anchorage it's the motor head capital of south central Ak. Every kids got a motor bike or a 4 wheeler and a snowmachine. Love the smell of two stroke oil in the morning.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Big lake is about an hour from anchorage it's the motor head capital of south central Ak. Every kids got a motor bike or a 4 wheeler and a snowmachine. Love the smell of two stroke oil in the morning.
    Sounds like the folks from Big Lake have their priorities in order! BTW snowmachine sounds so much cooler than snowmobile!

if your a hot chick jut sell everything, some guy up here will take you in and buy you everything you need.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    if your a hot chick jut sell everything, some guy up here will take you in and buy you everything you need.
    Is that how its done up there? You guys still get mail order brides too? I like to buy my own stuff! Or better yet I'd get me some "hot guy"(preferably bearded) to do all the cleaning, cooking, baby raising and everything else-Then I can buy him what I think he needs! LOL

Is that how its done up there? You guys still get mail order brides too? I like to buy my own stuff! Or better yet I'd get me some "hot guy"(preferably bearded) to do all the cleaning, cooking, baby raising and everything else-Then I can buy him what I think he needs! LOL
    So beards are a plus for you but what is your position on mullets?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    So beards are a plus for you but what is your position on mullets?
    Although I did find the movie "Joe Dirt" funny, I got to say no to the mullet. Why, are there MORE mullets out there?

Although I did find the movie "Joe Dirt" funny, I got to say no to the mullet. Why, are there MORE mullets out there?

most mullets per capita in the USA
    Semper Fi!

I thought mullets were mostly worn by older ladies in bingo parlors! I wouldn't have known this about Alaska, see this is just the information I was looking for!
    BTW Leland from Dog the Bounty Hunter- his hair was pretty cool-does that count as a mullet?

Sorry, this just plain ain't true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast