Thread: arrow weight for blackies

Default arrow weight for blackies

what weight arrows do you all use on blackies i am just getting ready to order some g5 montecs and am wondering if i should go with the 100grn. i have been shooting or go to a 125grn my current arrow weight with the 100's is 405grn im sure it would be fine but would you guys go with the extra weight or extra speed with the 100's im getting just under 300fps witch is giving me about 79-80lbs ke and from what i have found i would be around 280fps with the 125's and about 77lbs ke what are your thoughts.

For blackies you'll be fine either way. Shoot whichever you wish for black bears.

ok well i will go with 125's then and just use that set up for everything i just was not sure because what i found said the 100gr. would give me more ke but i would guss the 125 would carry more momentum.

You are correct about more momentum coming from the 125's. You can streamline your setup and just shoot them for everything.

Good luck

At 20yds or less, either will work great. I use 100gr NAP Nitrons for everything Alaskan. My total weight is around 405gr, and at 70#, it does just fine. Just find a quality broadhead that shoots straight (which most do) and go for it.

well i just moved my sights down a little and got it all sighted in and found my buddy has a crono so i shot them through that its shooting 295 with the 100's and and 285 +/- 1 fps with the 125's so thats fine with me total arrow weight is 430grn. and from what i have found i am getting 78lbs of KE just went and picked up some g5 montecs so will see how those shoot i have heard nothing but good about them bill at np archery said a guy last year brought in a moose scapula that they shot right through and got the guy his moose so that sound pretty good to me, i also relly like how the are one solid pice no blades to come off and stick you while cleaning, thanks for the help guys.