Thread: .20 Practical Question

Default .20 Practical Question

I know this is not exactly an AK cartridge but thought I would ask anyway....I have a 26" Savage SS Fluted barrel in .204 and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to just cut back the barrel enough to get a 20 Practical reamer to clean up what is left of the the .204 chamber? I have too many .204's already.

Another thought is using the .204 shoulder and throat for the new chartridge and just shortening the chamber to use the .223 case necked to .204 which is the .20 Practical.

Just thinking out loud....anyone hear me?

Answered the question on another forum. Using a Savage barrel on a Stevens action there is plenty of thread left to cut back the barrel and ream to a 20 Practical....I'm off to give it a try.

Update if anyone cares.....I cut 0.10" off a 204 Ruger resizing die and made a 20 Tactical case then cut back the .204 barrel until I had proper headspace based upon the case I made and now I have a 20 Tactical. The shoulder set up on the 30 degree chamber just fine and I fired 3 test rounds and they came out looking like fired factory round. Very simple conversion on the Savage with the barrel nut...wish it was that easy with the AR. I made 100 cases and am going to start with IMR 4198 and 32 gr V-Max using Lake City brass for now.

Now on to accuracy testing.