Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 351W Motor Rebuild / Stroked

Default 351W Motor Rebuild / Stroked

Finally made the decision and pulled the motor. Time for another face lift and a little more power from the old Ford 351W. Going to stroke it this time around to gain a little power to compensate for some of the weight I have added over the years. Going to be a fun project and I cant wait to see the outcome - High hopes for the old tub. Haven't finalized all the specifics yet but going at it with these parameters, Significant HP increase, Needs to run on 87 octane fuel, Power band 3200 to 4200 RPM, weight loss where possible.

You have to love what the old salt water will do to equipment after a few years -

Wow the salt did takes its toll on your engines paint and provided a bit of corrosion as well.

You might want to look at the edelbrock performer rpm intake or the weind stealth one, both of those give outstanding midrange power which is perfect for boats.

RR, Neat project, keep us updated & photos as you make progress...............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

[QUOTE=rambling raven;883007]Finally made the decision and pulled the motor. Time for another face lift and a little more power from the old Ford 351W. Going to stroke it this time around to gain a little power to compensate for some of the weight I have added over the years. Going to be a fun project and I cant wait to see the outcome - High hopes for the old tub. Haven't finalized all the specifics yet but going at it with these parameters, Significant HP increase, Needs to run on 87 octane fuel, Power band 3200 to 4200 RPM, weight loss where possible.

You have to love what the old salt water will do to equipment after a few years -

look on the meanchicken.net for imvaill he did the 351 to 408 stroker and has a bunch of good information. motor is in a 21' Heliarc/berkely
    seems to work really good for him

Twisted Wedge heads !

Fortunately I don't have to do it by myself - Mechanic is one of the things on my list of things I don't want to be when I grow up. I can find my way around the basics but have no desire to tackle something like this alone. My mechanic is also my bow boy for hunting and fishing each year so he has a vested interest. Another buddy runs a machine shop so the basics are covered. In the diagnostic process now putting together the parts list package to assure the desired results in horse power at the right RPM's while keeping the compression down to run regular fuel. Next question is going to be on the exhaust manifolds as they are exposed to the salt water for cooling and in need of some work on the drain plugs. If they can not be plugged to seal correctly I will be after new exhaust manifolds and they are hard to come by for the Fords unless you want to go with cast iron which is not an option. What I need is time - this working for a living really gets in my way!

I would be interested to hear what you find out about exhaust manifolds. I have a 351W in my boat also and desire to loose the cast iron manifolds from it. All I have been able to find otherwise is custom stainless version for several thousand $$.... not gonna happen in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I would be interested to hear what you find out about exhaust manifolds. I have a 351W in my boat also and desire to loose the cast iron manifolds from it. All I have been able to find otherwise is custom stainless version for several thousand $$.... not gonna happen in my world.
    The ones I have now are aluminum but as far as I can find aluminum replacements are no longer available. The stainless version from Australia is $2000 and not a great option for that reason. Hopefully we can drill and plug the drains on the current manifolds and preserve them for another go round. Won't know till we try. It is tougher because Ford doesn't play in the marine market anymore so no one is making parts.

Everyone needs to enjoy all the side benefits of running in salt water for most of the summer for years! Hard to believe that this thing still ran so well. Mechanically sound looks like crap.

The manifolds in question -

have you considered running coolant through the ex manifolds instead of raw water? after you get them fixed of course

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    have you considered running coolant through the ex manifolds instead of raw water? after you get them fixed of course
    They make a kit to convert the Chevy Manifolds to that system but I have never found one for a Ford - Do you know of one?

would just take a little fab, and some longer manifold to riser studs. plumb coolant into manifold, coolant flows out top of manifold, here is were your friendly local welding shop of your choice comes in, bottom plate of newly fabed adapter has holes that match the manifold riser water exits, fabricated ring matches exhaust od, one more plate welds on top with no holes for coolant. one more piece wraps between the two plates, with a nipple in it for coolant out. raw water is now plumbed to the riser

Now that is not a pretty sight. Makes me want to pull mine out of storage and clean her up.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Now that is not a pretty sight. Makes me want to pull mine out of storage and clean her up.
    Gravelpumper has me thinking now - When you take that rig out to clean it up take a couple pictures of your manifold plumbing for me - I know that boat of your has the conversion to antifreeze in the manifolds.

I also have a 351w in my boat that I overhauled (with the edelbrock rpm performer) installed last summer along with new manifolds and risers that came from a supplier in Seattle that have the for mentioned holes and connections for cooling (anti-freeze)I can post pictures if you like manifolds about $800 and the edelbrock rpm kit come with new cam,intake manifold,and heads was very pleased with the performance and punch out to get on step not sure on cost for the edelbrock kit took it off my old eng block but you can check edelbrocks web site

Quote Originally Posted by archeryarm View Post
    I also have a 351w in my boat that I overhauled (with the edelbrock rpm performer) installed last summer along with new manifolds and risers that came from a supplier in Seattle that have the for mentioned holes and connections for cooling (anti-freeze)I can post pictures if you like manifolds about $800 and the edelbrock rpm kit come with new cam,intake manifold,and heads was very pleased with the performance and punch out to get on step not sure on cost for the edelbrock kit took it off my old eng block but you can check edelbrocks web site
    Thanks for the reply - I would like to see some pictures of the exhaust manifolds and the name of the supplier if you remember who it was. Are your new manifolds aluminum? My buddy at the machine shop is putting together the parts package and I have not seen it yet so I don't know which way we are going for the manifold yet. Fortunately he can do all the diagnostics and come up with a complete package that will provide the desired power band. When you rebuilt the motor did you make any jet changes and what is your maximum RPM now?

You might want to post some questions about parts(used and new) on http://www.meanchicken.net I have seen lots of good information and parts exchanged on there.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    You might want to post some questions about parts(used and new) on http://www.meanchicken.net I have seen lots of good information and parts exchanged on there.
    I have read most of the posts over there at mean chicken over the years and gathered information over the last couple years. I fought with the options of stroking the Ford or going with a new Chevy for a long time. I am confident that the gentleman preparing the build for me will prepare the best package for the need. He does this work for a living and has for a long time and has the boating experience as well. My understanding is that he has the ability to put the part specs together in a computer program and run diagnostics to assure the desired outcome is met. He has a vested interest in the performance and reliability of the build since he will be in the boat on the Copper river come dip netting season.

Raven,

Whats your best guesstimate as to how much hp and torque you will pick up? What type of pump are you running? Any thoughts of changing it out? Staying with a carb or going to fuel injection?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Raven,

Whats your best guesstimate as to how much hp and torque you will pick up? What type of pump are you running? Any thoughts of changing it out? Staying with a carb or going to fuel injection?
    The original motor was rated at 235 HP and I ran it 16 years. Upgraded in 96 to a new motor rated at 285 HP. Not sure where we will land for HP in the RPM power band the boats run at while still burning low octane fuel. I would be satisfied with 350+ but the more the better as long as we don't start to sacrifice the reliability. Sticking with the carb for now.

The jet is a 3 stage Kodiak and it will have to stay for now as well. I rebuilt it last year with great results, I expect to repitch the impellers once I get the motor in. The current motor will only turn the rebuilt jet at 3900 RPMs so I have some room for more power as is. Ideally I will repitch the impellers to hold the motor back and push the same amount of water at a lower RPM. Can't wait to test the theory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast