Thread: trail entrance going to Alexander Lake area by Luces

Default trail entrance going to Alexander Lake area by Luces

We've never had a need to use this trail before and are not exactly sure where the entrance is, however because of all the overflow near our cabin we would like to find this back way in. We've got a good guess as to where the entrance is but don't want to be trespassing onto someone's property either. Can someone please send me some info on where this is exactly? Above Luces, below Luces.....?

Can you take a small load of freight (i.e small sled with gear/gas) down this trail? Has anyone been on it yet this year?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    We've never had a need to use this trail before and are not exactly sure where the entrance is, however because of all the overflow near our cabin we would like to find this back way in. We've got a good guess as to where the entrance is but don't want to be trespassing onto someone's property either. Can someone please send me some info on where this is exactly? Above Luces, below Luces.....?

Can you take a small load of freight (i.e small sled with gear/gas) down this trail? Has anyone been on it yet this year?
    Real easy to find I attached a map to help and Dave Luce will direct you if needed. Freighting a light sled will be no big deal on the trail....off trail I would run to pack in a track 1st. The trail off the river thru the woods is a single track with areas for passing, but this is a short track thru the woods. We rode in from the Skwentna last weekend and the trail is in pretty good shape. Snow off trail could be bottomless as we found out in some places. Be cautious of any creek crossing you may encounter off trail as some we found were very wet with snow over the top the unfrozen water. Run a GPS as it is very easy to get turned around out there.

Attachment 45222

Two guys from ASC were heading up there today I will try to get a report if they come back in before I leave. I'm not sure how much grooming and trail marking has been done coming down from the Tal to Luce's.

Big snow up north since Monday night.
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Ran the trail this weekend upto 8 mile lake and all was well. If you are going all the way to the Tal make sure to stay right when you get to the first very large swamp. If you go left it will take you to Alexander lake. came back yesterday and there was around 10 inches of new snow and still coming down. The only real markings on the trail that I saw were the tripods made of spruce poles that have been around for years. There was a fair amount of traffic out there this weekend so the main trail should not be hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by marbs View Post
    Ran the trail this weekend upto 8 mile lake and all was well. If you are going all the way to the Tal make sure to stay right when you get to the first very large swamp. If you go left it will take you to Alexander lake. came back yesterday and there was around 10 inches of new snow and still coming down. The only real markings on the trail that I saw were the tripods made of spruce poles that have been around for years. There was a fair amount of traffic out there this weekend so the main trail should not be hard to follow.

Do you have a place on 8 mile lake? Do you know the condition of the 5,000ft airstrip in the summer?
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by Deshka Landing View Post
    Two guys from ASC were heading up there today I will try to get a report if they come back in before I leave. I'm not sure how much grooming and trail marking has been done coming down from the Tal to Luce's.

Big snow up north since Monday night.

That would be great, besides all the overflow on our slough, we ran into bottomless snow on top of that overflow as well as back in the trees. I'm sure the new snow just made it that more fun. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Do you have a place on 8 mile lake? Do you know the condition of the 5,000ft airstrip in the summer?
    I flew over the strip a couple of times and there always planes there. I believe the gentleman's name is Kenny and he keeps it in good shape both summer and winter.

As far as grooming the Overland trail to Tal the answer is no.

8 Mile strip has a big dip that effectively cuts in in half. It does get regular use from small planes and there's room but the days of Hercs landing there are over.

Did you make it to the lake? Riding in that area is nothing short of spectacular if you like to play in flatland powder. Watch for overflow on the lake itself. It's there. A 185 was stuck in it yesterday but finally got out. The snow is crusty between the Su and the lake and also between the Yentna and the lake but once you're there the riding is really good. I wish I had had the time and gas to head towards the Tal and Shell Lake. Riding should be really, really good up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I wish I had had the time and gas to head towards the Tal and Shell Lake. Riding should be really, really good up there.
    You have no idea!!!!!!!!!!what you are missing. Let me know when you want to make a trip would love to hook up.

Was up this weekend trail and ride was great, trail is marked and well traveled, GPS for the trailhead MGRS 05V PJ 22832 43809. A ways in on the trail it Y's, stay left to Alexander. Found no overflow but can change overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by madtrapper104 View Post
    Was up this weekend trail and ride was great, trail is marked and well traveled, GPS for the trailhead MGRS 05V PJ 22832 43809. A ways in on the trail it Y's, stay left to Alexander. Found no overflow but can change overnight.
    Can't get that on my gps...do you have a different set of coordinates?

Try this one

N 61 42 27.6
    W 150 40 36.3