Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising hunting partners

Default Raising hunting partners

In the last few years I have been taking my boys on longer and harder hunts. This fall will be the first year I take my oldest 2 boys to sheep camp one will be 9 and my oldest will be 10 years old. Its really hard to find good gear for my boys but in the last year they have grown into woman size boots and clothing which is much better quality then kids clothing. They will be riding into camp on 50+ year old saddles on horses they helped raise. They both learned to hunt the same way most farm boys do with sling shots and BB guns. They have caught grayling, parka squirrels and rabbits by hand and ate them for supper. They know how to butcher hogs, chickens and game and how much work is involved growing a big garden. They also know how much dry firewood you need to get through an Alaskan winter.
    Last fall while hunting caribou my 8 year old son and his 9 year old brother walked 12 miles across open tundra never stopping one day and the next day they walked 8 miles when they finally got tired they would run ahead and climb a rock so they could jump on the pack horses I was leading as they went by. I am very carefully about keeping them safe and letting them have fun at their own pace and Iím looking forward to having home grown hunting partners the rest of my life and can't wait until their younger brother can go on bigger trips too.
    Last edited by horse; 02-02-2011 at 01:55. Reason: spelling

My partners
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome, I've very envious of your time spent outdoors with your boys. Nice horses too

Default raising pards

DSCN0383.jpgGreat call name by the way.

You've got a fine bunch of boys there my friend. It's a family I'd be proud to show off a bit too. I'm sure you invest huge amounts of time and money outfitting and keeping after them. Good work!

As the father of three daughters. I'll say that someday if your boys are raised right there are young ladies also being raised with an appreciation for hunting and the outdoors. My girls get exposed to the labors of an outdoor lifestyle in between studies and household chores. My 11 yr old did a few hunts with me this year. Enough so that I had to take her into the hospital for a seperation and inflammed patellar tendon. I think I hiked her a little too hard. They know how to break down a deer and that what we're shooting is food and that we've got a responsiblility when were out there killing.

This is a photo from last weekend, we hiked 8 miles on a Sunday afternoon. I didn't get boys and I'm not trying. The way I figure is someday, after I'm slowing down some, the girls will bring em too me. I hope they find nice strong, skilled, and active young men like your raising. Keep up the good work.

Way to go Dad! Two thumbs up!

Outstanding! I wish my dad had A; Stayed in Alaska after WWII, and even failing that B; would have raised me to hunt. He was too busy being a businessman, but fortunately I had an uncle who DID mentor me as an outdoorsman. Because of him I grew up with a bow & various guns in my hands. He died when I was in my teens and I can't thank him enough for the gift of hunting & fishing he gave me.

BTW, you never can tell where those outdoor skills might come in handy down the road for your cubs. I raised my boy outdoors with a bow and gun in his hands, and now at 31 and on his third combat tour in Dirka-Dirkastan, he's putting those lessons to very good use. Someday, God willing, that fight will be over and we'll hunt together again.

Congrats and be sure to give those kids a hug everyday. They are very lucky to have a dad like you. As the song says, a country boy can survive...

I kept my boys along, homeschooling and hunting were one and the same.

Both boys are men now Hunting/fishing/trapping them selfs, and are two of my best trading partners when I go to their villages

Your doing them boys of yours a world of Good.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Always wonderful to see parents passing on the ways of the Alaska outdoors to their children. Great pics btw, from both "horses" <grin>.

My son is only 19 months old, so he has a ways to got yet before he packs his own gun. That said, my wife and I have made every effort to make him completely comfortable in the outdoors, even for his young age. He has been snowmachining, moose hunting, canoeing, berry picking, camping, hiking and even traveled in an assortment of bushplanes. He goes outside almost every day that's it's above -10 F. Consequently, he considers all these activities to be completely normal things to do (which they are in our family). I expect him to be a good partner and am looking forward to raising him in the outdoors.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    In the last few years I have been taking my boys on longer and harder hunts. This fall will be the first year I take my oldest 2 boys to sheep camp one will be 9 and my oldest will be 10 years old. Its really hard to find good gear for my boys but in the last year they have grown into woman size boots and clothing which is much better quality then kids clothing. They will be riding into camp on 50+ year old saddles on horses they helped raise. They both learned to hunt the same way most farm boys do with sling shots and BB guns. They have caught grayling, parka squirrels and rabbits by hand and ate them for supper. They know how to butcher hogs, chickens and game and how much work is involved growing a big garden. They also know how much dry firewood you need to get through an Alaskan winter.
    Last fall while hunting caribou my 8 year old son and his 9 year old brother walked 12 miles across open tundra never stopping one day and the next day they walked 8 miles when they finally got tired they would run ahead and climb a rock so they could jump on the pack horses I was leading as they went by. I am very carefully about keeping them safe and letting them have fun at their own pace and Iím looking forward to having home grown hunting partners the rest of my life and can't wait until their younger brother can go on bigger trips too.

Horse
    I assure you, You will never ever regret taking your young son's hunting... Years ago, I got a little upset with a "hunting pard" came home and told the wife I was going to take my young boys hunting with me and they could grow up to be my hunting pards.... Well one son took off to live in TX (every family has at least one black sheep) but the other son stayed reasonably close... and now he has a 16 yr old son who hunts with us... As fun and exciting as it is watching your kid score on a hunt, it's doubly exciting to see a grand kid score...

They grow up waaaaaay tooooooo fast!

Seems just it was yesterday.

You and they are lucky to have each other.The world looks a lot different after you have children .Times 3 when you have grand kids.
    Bought the grandson a new rifle an TC encore 308win. He turns 2 in march .

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    You and they are lucky to have each other.The world looks a lot different after you have children .Times 3 when you have grand kids.
    Bought the grandson a new rifle an TC encore 308win. He turns 2 in march .
    My youngest Grandson turns 4 in March.. He was born on my Birthday, and was named after me... The first Gun show after he was born, I bought him a youth sized 22Lr... Dau-in-law wasn't impressed, but my Son thought it an excellent idea... When he's ready, he can have his turn with my old Rem 788 in 308 like his Uncle John, his Dad and a couple other grandkids...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    My youngest Grandson turns 4 in March.. He was born on my Birthday, and was named after me... The first Gun show after he was born, I bought him a youth sized 22Lr... Dau-in-law wasn't impressed, but my Son thought it an excellent idea... When he's ready, he can have his turn with my old Rem 788 in 308 like his Uncle John, his Dad and a couple other grandkids...
    What is the appropriate age to teach kiddos how to safely handle and shoot guns? My little guy turns four in April...

My boys and I spend a good deal of time in the outdoors. I don't water it down one bit, and the more difficult and uncomfortable it is for them, the more they learn. They make long hikes up big mountains, they spend a lot of time camping, and they experience coming home empty handed on a regular basis. It takes a lot of time and effort to get them schooled up, but the results are starting to speak for themselves. My goal in 2011 is to put both the boys on Booner Sitkas.
    landa.jpganthony bear 012.jpg

My 6yr old has been duck hunting with me since he has been 3. We take his BB gun ( he got it for his 3rd b-day) and he practices with it when there are no birds flying. Not so much the marksmanship part but more how to handle a gun and how to hand someone a gun. He also take it with him when we trap to get used to carring it in the woods.

My 1 1/2yr old already knows guns aren't toys and to tell an adult if he see one.

Hey all
    well im not from Alaska but will be coming up there for a week stay- i have a 6 year old who loves to go out and shoot, the 3.5 year old runs away as its to loud for her, i am not a hunter but the husband is, he only does deer hunting when he gets the chance to take time off work for it, we have raised are kids to be around guns and bring them out trap shooting to start them off, it makes me smile that my son can shoot a bigger gun then his mom and makes me sad, we are teaching them about the safety of guns and how to handle them and to teach him between real and fake but still to never point one at a person, so far we are doing a great job and cant wait till he is big enough to go out deer hunting with his dad and uncles. this is a great place to get some really good info thank you all.

My two boys have been hunting with me since they were 6, now they are 30 and 27. They are the best hunting partners a fellow could ask for. (They also make good pack horses)

Default one for big horse

Thats what I'm talking about! What a great looking animal,he's magnificent.

270Ti, can I be your kid next year too. I'll be happy with a B&C black bear I promise.

My personal experience has been that proper firearm usage comes with a measure of strength. Expecially for off hand applications using a high powered rifle. My oldest daughter just started to show some success at the age of 11 with her 243. My girls don't really get fired up about shooting yet. It's just a little awkward still. Some colored water in gallon jugs gets em going real quick though. I don't have a .22 for em so thats probably my problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast