Thread: What Gun/Caliber to get?

Default What Gun/Caliber to get?

I am looking at getting a new gun. I currently have my Grandfather's Win Model 70 in .338 blued/wood, and would like to get something else to fill my hunting needs. I am looking at getting the Tikka T3 lite SS/Synthetic in either .270 or 30.06 or a Remmington 700 wood/blued in 35 whelen. I have alway's wanted a 35 whelen, but it seems that it would be too much like the .338. If i get the Tikka say in .270 it would be good for everything except maybe the big bears and would be a good sheep gun if I ever got the opportunity to go. My scope choice is a Leopold VX2 2-7x33 for either gun. It would cost about $300 more for the whelen, and I could use that money to upgrade the scope on my Grandfathers gun. So many choices, any input would be great. Thank you. Luke

Something different from 338 would be built on a 308case or fire a 40 +cal of some size
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you already have a 338 I'd go with a light weight 270 or 270wsm. Brown Bear and moose use the 338 and use the 270 for everything else. imo

You didnt mention what your " hunting needs" are but IMO&E if your looking for one gun to do it all in Alaska dont get away from a 338. Buy a stainless synthetic .338 and scope it with the VXII you like, and go hunting. (thats what I did many years ago) You will be covered from deer on the coast, to sheep on the mountians, to bears in the interior..... But your model 70 is a great gun, you could always put a scope on it and take care of it and use it, or (what I would do is) keep it and pass it along to your next generation....

Stick with stainless/synthetic what ever you do. I'm thinking a .300 win mag is pretty hard to beat for all around use. I'd look at a Remington 700 SPS SS, Winchester 70 Extreme Weather SS, or Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 win mag. 2-7 is a great magnification range. If you want to "upgrade" look at a Leupold Euro 2-7 or VX3 2.5-8.

Brett

I would look for a used Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" Featherweight, in 30-06 of course. Those with the wonderful old Winchester trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I would look for a used Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" Featherweight, in 30-06 of course. Those with the wonderful old Winchester trigger.
    Solid advise. The safety is the same as the rifle you already have.......what you're used to.

Or, a new Mod. 70 Featherweight in either 270 or 30-06. Lean toward what you want, a 270 and 338 is a great combo.

Go big or go home I say: buy a CZ-550, have WWG rebarrel to .500 A-Square. Now load 37.5 grains XMR-5744 behind a cast 575 grain bullet to approximate a shotgun slug (but with lots more penetration).

Now you work up past the putrid .270, the limp-wristed .30'06, the panty-waist .338, the slow .375 and into MAN territory to the hairy-chested thunder-slaps at the top of the mountain. Scream your primal energy to the heavens and leave the masses of everybody-else behind.

You can have it all grasshoppa, choose well...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

i say stick with what you have. what is cooler than using your grandpa's rifle? i have used the 338 in a blued wood combo for everything in alaska for over 20 years and it is great medicine for everything from sitka blacktails, sheep, caribou, moose and bear. maybe upgrade to a nice quality scope like the leupold and your set. if you want an other gun because you want a new gun then by all means go for it! don't worry so much about caliber within reason, they all work. picking a gun/caliber for every animal sounds great but a lot can be said for finding one gun that you are comfortable with and use it for everything that YOU hunt. it keeps it simpler. good luck!

You can hardly go wrong with a 338 win mag - It is a grand cartridge with balance and nearly as good a choice of bullets as a .30 these days - It is my understanding that you can find ammo pretty much anywhere in the "north country" you need some which is pretty important too - I think "my" first choice would be a Kimber Montana ... second a model 70

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Go big or go home I say: buy a CZ-550, have WWG rebarrel to .500 A-Square. Now load 37.5 grains XMR-5744 behind a cast 575 grain bullet to approximate a shotgun slug (but with lots more penetration).

Now you work up past the putrid .270, the limp-wristed .30'06, the panty-waist .338, the slow .375 and into MAN territory to the hairy-chested thunder-slaps at the top of the mountain. Scream your primal energy to the heavens and leave the masses of everybody-else behind.

You can have it all grasshoppa, choose well...
    Truely a classic post! +1 for Nitroman.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I uh....meant it to be humorous? If one is dead set on the .270 or '06, then go with the larger and use 220 to 250 grain slugs.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman: "I uh....meant it to be humorous?"

Aw, man...you destroyed the illusion!! In my minds' eye I pictured you standing atop a mountain, furrowed brow, arm raised, clutching a lightningbolt, the hero that Bonnie Tyler was holding out for!!!

And then you typed 7 little words and the whole image dissipated...

Quote Originally Posted by NATTY BUMPO View Post
    Nitroman: "I uh....meant it to be humorous?"

Aw, man...you destroyed the illusion!! In my minds' eye I pictured you standing atop a mountain, furrowed brow, arm raised, clutching a lightningbolt, the hero that Bonnie Tyler was holding out for!!!

And then you typed 7 little words and the whole image dissipated...
    Come back Nitroman........... Come back
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

The 338 is good for the bear and/or moose. Get something light with a good selection of bullets like a 7mm-08 in a compact configuration.