Thread: Flying in Chugach

Default Flying in Chugach

I have noticed a lot of stories published on the Internet and on guide's websites about landing supercubs in the Chugach for sheep hunting. According to the DNR's website, "Aircraft landings are limited to the "Bold" Airstrip, located at the up-valley end of Eklutna Lake. Be aware that the gravel airstrip is not maintained. 11 AAC 20.020". Is this a new rule, or are people just ignoring it?

the chugachs go all the way over to the east by thomspon pass and valdez...those are chugachs as well, i think your refering to the state park part of the chugach. which is just basicly most of 14C
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Aircraft in CSP

As I recall, you can only land in Chugach State Park at Eklutna Lake (on floats) or at Bold Strip (head of Eklutna Lake)....call 345-5014 for current info. I'd bet that the references to landing in Chugach are for the Chugach Range....the park is only a small part of the range. There used to be a cub strip at the headwaters of Friday Creek and Metal Creek as well as other areas in the Chugach Range that are accessible by air. Gary Bishop out of Palmer might be still be flying into the Chugach.

i think everyone is flyig into the chugach now. BAT, Grasshopper ,Weidiker (spelling) Ak air taxi, meekins, Bishop, Stevenson and a few other guys who don't do transport.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Amenities

Last time I was there I found a new Coke machine at the end of the runway.

and a microwave......mmmmm