Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gangion Leader Question?

Default Gangion Leader Question?

I have read the "Halibut Leader" posts where people talk about using gangion leaders......but no one mentions the size - #48, #60 or #72?

I am looking to use 2/0 swivels with a 16/0 hook on a gangion leader........thinking #48.. Any issues with grabbing that at the boat?

I Appreciate It, P-geek

I don't recall what the number size I buy is I went with 200# test though. Also bought some rated at 300# test.
    This I believe was listed as tuna cord or something like that.
    48 sounds familiar though.
    If I were you I would buy whatever is recommended at the Gear Shed (Redden Marine)in Homer when you get here. They have all the right stuff in stock.
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 02-01-2011 at 18:16. Reason: spelling
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

#250 is what I use. Don't know about those numbers..
    I make them a two foot leader so I can left the halibut into the boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I use 250 lb. too. I just tie and overhand loop in each end. One end with the hook and the other end is connected to a big swivel on the end on my line.

I called Redden Marine yesterday (seen they had a Homer location, good to know it is the Gear Shed) #48 I believe is ~250lb and #72 is up around 400lb or so. #48 is .103" and #71 is .125".

I have seen the Tuna Cord......is it the same as gangion? It reads like it is but I have not seen it in a 1lb roll and what I have found usually starts at 300lbs and goes up?

Thanks, P-geek

https://www.mercersmarine.com/sagro/...l&product=3633

I'm also trying to get set up for halibut and found this after some searching.
    I was told 300# and 4/0 swivel with corkscrews, and 16/0 or 18/0 circle hook.

I've tried to view video's of how to tie these rigs but haven't found any yet. Both Whaler's Cove Lodge and Prince of Whales on Sprotsman's Channel have show some great segments and I continue to watch every show hoping for more details.

I think the "gangion" you guys are talking about is a hard braided nylon(like a thin braided rope) and the stuff rated in pounds is Mono. If i were making up halibut gear i would use mono and either knot(snell) it to the hook or use the crimp on sleeves. But what do i know i'm only the shrimp pot guy!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default But what do I know, I'm only a Relative Motion guy......;-)

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think the "gangion" you guys are talking about is a hard braided nylon(like a thin braided rope) and the stuff rated in pounds is Mono. If i were making up halibut gear i would use mono and either knot(snell) it to the hook or use the crimp on sleeves. But what do i know i'm only the shrimp pot guy!!
    You are correct Potbuilder......I am talking about the "thin rope" stuff. It appears to have a "tinsle strength" rating in pounds associated with it as well. That is the stuff I want to build my Halibut leaders with. I have found it as gangion, gangion twine, gangion cordage, gangen, gangen and beckets, and tuna cord. I do not fully know what most of those are but other than Tuna Cord it appears to be mostly associated with Longlining, nets and seines........and potbuilding of course. I have only fished with it one time so I will defer of course to someone with more knowledge than I about it.

Thanks, P-geek

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    https://www.mercersmarine.com/sagro/...l&product=3633

I'm also trying to get set up for halibut and found this after some searching.
    I was told 300# and 4/0 swivel with corkscrews, and 16/0 or 18/0 circle hook.

I've tried to view video's of how to tie these rigs but haven't found any yet. Both Whaler's Cove Lodge and Prince of Whales on Sprotsman's Channel have show some great segments and I continue to watch every show hoping for more details.
    That picture in your link is exactly what I am currently using.
    It is rated in pounds on the side of the cardboard spool and is definetly not mono.

150lb mono works great for me. Easy to find and rig up.

If connecting 80# spectra, that many of us fish with on the reel, to gangion or heavy mono, do you use an inline swivel, fancy bimini twist etc. knots, or something more simple? I can figure out how to tie to the hook or terminal swivel but not to that skinny spectra!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    If connecting 80# spectra, that many of us fish with on the reel, to gangion or heavy mono, do you use an inline swivel, fancy bimini twist etc. knots, or something more simple? I can figure out how to tie to the hook or terminal swivel but not to that skinny spectra!
    I use a swivel. I buy them from the Gear Shed in Homer as they have a good selection of quality large size ones.I tie the hook on with a gaignon knot and same thing for the swivel at the other end.
    Lately I have been using spreader bars and they seem to work good. Either way plain gaignon or with the spreader bar I tie a corkscrew swivel to the end of my line( I use Tuffline XP ) and it is easy to switch from a hook and bait setup to a jig just takes a few seconds.
    I have also been using those jumbo Spin-N-Glo's with good success lately. I am guessing but I think the extra commotion they make while spinning is a good attractor.

All of the precut gangion at the marine store here in Kodiak is #72 and that is what I use when making my double hook setups. I use 6/0 swivels and crimp the gangions. The lighter stuff will work but it might tangle up more if you are letting your line drop fast as it is not as stiff as the #72. Good luck

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by Physiksgeek View Post
    You are correct Potbuilder......I am talking about the "thin rope" stuff. It appears to have a "tinsle strength" rating in pounds associated with it as well. That is the stuff I want to build my Halibut leaders with. I have found it as gangion, gangion twine, gangion cordage, gangen, gangen and beckets, and tuna cord. I do not fully know what most of those are but other than Tuna Cord it appears to be mostly associated with Longlining, nets and seines........and potbuilding of course. I have only fished with it one time so I will defer of course to someone with more knowledge than I about it.

Thanks, P-geek
    I personally don't like the stuff, don't use any in my gear, it might be fine for longline leaders and such but in my opinion the heavy mono is easier to work with and maybe it fishes a bit better although i don't think halibut are very fussy about anything. If its in front of them they most likely will try to eat it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That picture in your link is exactly what I am currently using.
    It is rated in pounds on the side of the cardboard spool and is definetly not mono.
    Chris,
    On lot of that braided twine the numbers like 750,550,400 tell you how many feet are in 1lb of it not the breaking strength.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Alot of guys have gone back to 72 gangion from mono. The main advantage is to do not have to worry about the line breaking at the crimp and it cost less. Halibut are not the smartest of fish. Two years ago one of the boats harponed one and lost it and two hours later they caught the same fish.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Alot of guys have gone back to 72 gangion from mono. The main advantage is to do not have to worry about the line breaking at the crimp and it cost less. Halibut are not the smartest of fish. Two years ago one of the boats harponed one and lost it and two hours later they caught the same fish.
    Yep, caught a 100 pounder with three other hooks in its mouth, one nearly rusted out with about a foot of gangion trailing, and one a rig broke off of my son's rod about 30 minutes earlier! I had a two-hook rig on and had him in the mouth and tail, he broke the mouth hook and thought I had a real barndoor bringing him up by the tail!

I'm going to try the gangion just to do something different and that blue colored tuna twine is purdy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Roe View Post
    All of the precut gangion at the marine store here in Kodiak is #72 and that is what I use when making my double hook setups. I use 6/0 swivels and crimp the gangions. The lighter stuff will work but it might tangle up more if you are letting your line drop fast as it is not as stiff as the #72. Good luck

Mel
    Good info......just looking at the break strength of #48 would do the job on the vast majority of fish caught. What I did not know was if it would be stiff enough to prevent what you describe.

Thanks, P-geek

Mercer's is sold out of the blue gangion...

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Chris,
    On lot of that braided twine the numbers like 750,550,400 tell you how many feet are in 1lb of it not the breaking strength.
    I fully understand that Steve. I have bought and used a few different types of twine over the years. Most of it comes wound up on itself and is sold by a one pound spool like you said. It usually listed by a size like #48 or #72 and states how many feet you get in a pound.
    The stuff in the link provided by ALLUVR95's is the stuff I am currently using.
    It does have the poundage rating on the side of the spool. Not a size number but a pound rating.I believe it also tells you how many feet you get on a 1 pound spool. When I get off the slope I will try to get a picture of it if I can find the spool on my boat.
    I have some in a 300 pound rating but prefer the 200 pound stuff as it is easier to work with and tie knots. It is a bit stiff witch I prefer as it prevents tangles on the way down.

I used to use those crimped mono rigs from the store and Now I hate them. I have had a few pull out of the crimp. One was 80 Pounds and pulled out after we got it in the boat. Had a few chickens thrashing on the surface pull out of a crimp as well.
    Never had gaignon twine break or a properly tied knot come out on it. A gaignon knot works real good on this stiff tuna cord.
    I find it much easier to work with the the mono leaders and easily allows me to customize the length or add attractors on the line such as the Jumbo spin-n-glo or a B2 squid.
    I also didn't have to buy a set of crimpers and crimps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast