Thread: Vanguard 308 vs Winchester Extreme Weather 308

Default Vanguard 308 vs Winchester Extreme Weather 308

I've been bouncing back and forth between a couple of rifles that I have aquired over the winter. The first is a the fancy FN made SS Winchester with the full length aluminum bedding block...cost $800. The second is a Weatherby Vanguard carbine with a 20 inch barrel and a tupperware stock....cost $375....both are 308s.

The Winchester is a thing of beauty with it's 24 in ss fluted barrel, control round feed and swing safety. The Vanguard is the typical plain jane dull blue finish with black synthetic stock bargain gun. However even though it isn't an eye catcher, I can't find a thing wrong with the quality it possesses.

The Winchester is one of the straightest stocked guns that I have ever shouldered...more so than my walnut stocked Featherweight in 243. I have to smash my cheek into the stock to aquire a sight picture when shouldering the gun. The Vanguard on the other hand feels real good. I have the scope on the Weatherby mounted low and it fits perfectly.

I got this coyote killing season started off using a Weatherby just like this 308 only in 243. I gave up on it in short order because I was missing every coyote that I was shooting at. I mentioned on another thread a while back that I was having much better luck hitting those running shots with a gun that didn't fit me right and didn't even feel good just because that is what I was used to shooting for the last 30 years. Naturally I was thinking the same in regards to this 308. However a trip to the range yesterday changed all of that. I was shooting the same load in both guns. That load was the 168 grain Hornady National Match bullet on top of a good charge of Varget powder. The Winchester was up first (both guns were lazer bore sighted prior to going to the range) and after a couple of fouling shots I shot a 3 shot group that went just over 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. Then it was the Weatherby's turn and after a couple of fouling shots it sent 3 bullets down range. A dime covered all three of those holes. I spent the the next two hours shouldering that Weatherby and learning to shoot it off hand and plan to go at it again as soon as this blizzard lets up.

Maybe it's not to late to teach an old dog new tricks!

I have been looking at buying a Vanguard carbine in .308, so I am intersted in hearing how you come out with yours after another range session or two. I wish they made that carbine with a stainless barrel though... I think I'll call the weatherby custom shop and ask if, and how much, to install one...

EKC, if'n ya had your glasses on ya dern fool, ya woulda seen that was a QUARTER and not a DIME ya was using to cover dem holes!

Don't tell me that cause I been lookin at them weatherbys for a spell now and trying to figure out why I don't need one - I like the way they dressed up the SUB MOA Vanguards and may have to just get one to get them outa my system! So, 243 or 308 Hmmm???
    Since I came home from work at noon due to weather I loaded up about 40 280 rounds to shoot when this nasty storm lifts - wow its NASTY tonight! 11in so far, 3 - 4 ft drifts and more coming!!! Them critters is gonna suffer from this one - especially the small birds - they will be out looking for food and hawks will be knocking em off right and left!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC, if'n ya had your glasses on ya dern fool, ya woulda seen that was a QUARTER and not a DIME ya was using to cover dem holes!

Don't tell me that cause I been lookin at them weatherbys for a spell now and trying to figure out why I don't need one - I like the way they dressed up the SUB MOA Vanguards and may have to just get one to get them outa my system! So, 243 or 308 Hmmm???
    Since I came home from work at noon due to weather I loaded up about 40 280 rounds to shoot when this nasty storm lifts - wow its NASTY tonight! 11in so far, 3 - 4 ft drifts and more coming!!! Them critters is gonna suffer from this one - especially the small birds - they will be out looking for food and hawks will be knocking em off right and left!
    Ya know Smokey it really makes me wonder what all of the Weatherby sub MOA hype is. This one that I have is just the standard Vanguard that is suppose to be able to shoot into an inch and a half yet it shoots more like a half inch. Ya reckon I just got lucky?

I have seen a lot of guns come and go in my day but one that shoots like this one probably has a home for life.

I might point out that even though the Howa's and Vanguards are spose to be the same gun, the triggers on the Vanguards are better from the factory than the Howas...by a good margin.

Go ahead and git one Smokey, you ain't gettin no younger ya know!

If you are interested in the Vanguards, I would ask to see the proof target that comes with the rifle. I have seen several that were closer to 1/2in than the 1 1/2in that they guarantee.

Make sure to get a Timney trigger if you go the Vanguard route. They're decent rifles but the factory trigger is a joke.

Alright! Another chance to give MO ... I hear alot of talk about these Vanguards being great and the Howa is well made (same gun) but as long as I am not "stealing" from the kids' college fund I will take a model 70, especially the new FN ones) any day and all day - On a bench with a 308 and 168's, for me, the difference in "proofing" loads at 100 yds of +/- 1/4" will most likely shake out as you shoot more anyway but all the same, I'll take the Winchester - It was unfortunate that FN abandoned the original model 70 trigger design but I imagine the new design will be just fine - Now, if you are on that strict of a budget don't overlook the Tikka T-3 and if not "budget challenged" don't overlook the Kimber Montana 308 either, there is one on gunbroker that can be had for $900 now

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Ya know Smokey it really makes me wonder what all of the Weatherby sub MOA hype is. This one that I have is just the standard Vanguard that is suppose to be able to shoot into an inch and a half yet it shoots more like a half inch. Ya reckon I just got lucky?

I have seen a lot of guns come and go in my day but one that shoots like this one probably has a home for life.

I might point out that even though the Howa's and Vanguards are spose to be the same gun, the triggers on the Vanguards are better from the factory than the Howas...by a good margin.

Go ahead and git one Smokey, you ain't gettin no younger ya know!
    EKC, I am not sure the SUB MOA are really a ton better - but like Igall posted i think they have 1/2 in potential and they did dress up the stock and bedding from what I read....
    Man, spent 7 1/2 hrs on loader tractor today diggin folks out - this snow was about as packed as I have seen in a long time - knee is shot from working clutch!
    I musta did good though as one elderly couple gave me some sugar cookies!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

EKC, I am not sure the SUB MOA are really a ton better - but like Igall posted i think they have 1/2 in potential and they did dress up the stock and bedding from what I read....
    Man, spent 7 1/2 hrs on loader tractor today diggin folks out - this snow was about as packed as I have seen in a long time - knee is shot from working clutch!
    I musta did good though as one elderly couple gave me some sugar cookies!
    Me too on the snow thing. I think we only got 11 inches but we had about 7 inches of powder already on the ground from a few of those little northwesters that came through last week. I have a 550 Grizzly with a blade on it and after today I know that I'm gettin to old for that crap. I piled snow 8 feet high with that thig today. I did 5 driveways and a grade school parking lot/sidewalks. I crawled on it at 8 this morning and got off it just now...still shivering! Still got ice in my mustache!

Back to the Vanguard stuff. back country there is no budget to consider I already own both rifles and I agree the model 70 is a sweet gun but I am now of the opinion that even though the Vanguard isn't as pretty it is still a heck of a gun for the money. I bought the Winchester brand new for 799 so it was a bargain. I just wish they had put a little drop in the stock ! Since I am a practical man and am not much into pretty.... if I financially needed to part with one of the two tomorrow the Vanguard would stay. I really thought about buying a different stock for it but with 1/2 inch groups I'm not screwing with it!

As far as the trigger goes. It breaks clean at 3 and 1/2 pounds....I ain't screwing with it either!

Vanguard is a great rifle....but man the Winchester Extreme weather sure gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Place a krieger barrel on an extreme weather and you have a rifle that custom builder sell for 3-4 k.

EKC, I think you shoot with low mounts - my guess is if you went to a medium you might really like the Wby stock - perhaps your just tryin to hard to snuggle down on that puppy and for the way you use it on coyotes you want fast sight picture recognition - face up a little may do the trick???

100_2691.jpg100_2693.jpg

EKC, I think you shoot with low mounts - my guess is if you went to a medium you might really like the Wby stock - perhaps your just tryin to hard to snuggle down on that puppy and for the way you use it on coyotes you want fast sight picture recognition - face up a little may do the trick???

100_2691.jpg100_2693.jpg

The Weatherby fits me goood! It's the gish dern Winchester Extreme joby that I caint get my head down low enough on.

Snows to deep to chase coyotes now! Gonna have to go act likea dying raggit and shoot the dumb hungry ones from here out....less we get a thaw!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smokey:
    Why is there so little snow on top of the house? Wind?
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey:
    Why is there so little snow on top of the house? Wind?
    Smitty of the North
    Yup, had winds over 54 mph for about 8 - 10 hours - about 2 plus hours was sleet - the term Blizzard truly applied... That wind packed the snow very hard as well - it was not much fun to deal with....
    It was soooo windy I lost 6 hours off my watch cause it blew time backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Winchestershooter View Post
    Vanguard is a great rifle....but man the Winchester Extreme weather sure gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Place a krieger barrel on an extreme weather and you have a rifle that custom builder sell for 3-4 k.
    After spending over a $1000.00 on it already? No Way. It should come with a good barrel.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

After spending over a $1000.00 on it already? No Way. It should come with a good barrel.

Smitty of the North
    What Smitty said. +1
    NRA Life Member since 1974

What I meant is a lot of custom rifle makers take a winchester action, good barrel fluted, good trigger, customer aluminum stock and call it a custom and sell it for 4k....The extreme weather comes with all that for less than 1k as a factory rifle.

Yup, had winds over 54 mph for about 8 - 10 hours - about 2 plus hours was sleet - the term Blizzard truly applied... That wind packed the snow very hard as well - it was not much fun to deal with....
    It was soooo windy I lost 6 hours off my watch cause it blew time backwards!
    Watta Bummer. We had that happen in Missouri one time.

The 4th of July ended up on the 16th.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Watta Bummer. We had that happen in Missouri one time.

The 4th of July ended up on the 16th.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty the next time your in the midwest I want to know! I'm gonna round up Smokey and were gonna do an all day coffee/shoot the fat deal. If I'm guessing right I might not have to say a word! The way I got it figured, I bet a feller could have the time of his life by just listening! You guys are a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty the next time your in the midwest I want to know! I'm gonna round up Smokey and were gonna do an all day coffee/shoot the fat deal. If I'm guessing right I might not have to say a word! The way I got it figured, I bet a feller could have the time of his life by just listening! You guys are a hoot!
    I would truly enjoy that - I bet we'd be like 3 Amish girls itch-en to get their first chance to churn butter!