Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well do you eat when out on the water?

Default How well do you eat when out on the water?

I don't know about you guys, but I treat myself each and every trip out on the Sound. Why rough it when you can smoooooth it? We are fortunate to have an oven on board as well as a stove and grill. We use all three on a regular basis.

You have to start with horsdoeuvre if you really want to live right. We like to start with some bugs.

Fresh shrimp sushi.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Costco has been carrying prime cut beef for several months. There is no comparison in my opinion. How about some prime rib served medium rare?

It is even better shared with great friends.

Pete,
    I'll bring some nice NY steaks and the beer and gas money

We do not cook that often on our Sea Sport as most of the trips only last a day and no built in range. But on our boating hunting trips........well, lets just say we usually gain weight, lol.
    Tennessee

The wallas oven will hold five game hens. Food always seems to taste better out on the boat, even brussels sprouts.

Shrimp dipped in butter for lunch.

I didn't know that you could still buy jiffy pop pop corn. We rediscovered it this year.

Life is good, winter is long, so let's see your meals on the water.

Hot dogs, pancakes, and sandwiches. You guys need to stay away from my wife and kids otherwise my boat will be so overloaded with food and drinks that I will not be able to bring along the hunting and fishing gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Pete,
    I'll bring some nice NY steaks and the beer and gas money

We do not cook that often on our Sea Sport as most of the trips only last a day and no built in range. But on our boating hunting trips........well, lets just say we usually gain weight, lol.
    Sounds like a plan! Shore lunches count, too, so post 'em up.

We bring the grill to shore when tending to hides in the spring.

Last spring a few of us went bear hunting and I dragged along the turkey fryer. Nothing like buffalo wings out in PWS...

Love PWS and cooking, always make the most of fresh fish and shrimp.

Rick fish that was swimming less than an hour before cooking.

Pineapple upside down cake in the dutch oven.

Fresh apple with a crumb topping.

Porterhouse Steak and Shrimp.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What's breakfast without biscuits??

Porterhouse Steaks and bear backstrap.

What a great location.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Love PWS and cooking, always make the most of fresh fish and shrimp.

Rick fish that was swimming less than an hour before cooking.

Awesome beach setup stid, but one question. How do you plan on getting back to your boat with the dingy still tied up to it?

You guys are killing me with these photos. Now my wife is going to expect so much more of me. I normally just try and stick to whatever I can throw on the grill, kabobs, steaks, burgers, shrimp, fresh catch of the day, etc. That baking is introducing an whole new element.

Best way is to raft up with a few friends. When I was going out with my dad every weekend years ago, we would routinely raft up with 3-5 other boats and have pot-luck meals. Didn't hurt when the other boats felt sorry for us "batch'n" it for the weekend and often had meals ready when we got back from loading up on salmon up in Long Bay Lagoon. Nothing like anchoring up alone, only to find 5 boats haning off your hook when you get back.

Patrick,

I use 2 anchor buddy's tied together (which is a big rubber band in nylon rope) and a share anchor to make a mooring. They allow me to pull the boat to shore and the bungees pull the boat back into deep water. I snap the raft to the bow to keep it out the sharp rocks. I use the raft to get up shallow river, not so much to get to the moored boat.

Steve
    Founding Member

I was hoping you would post some pics, Steve. I cannot believe how much you you pack into that Wooly!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Best way is to raft up with a few friends. When I was going out with my dad every weekend years ago, we would routinely raft up with 3-5 other boats and have pot-luck meals. Didn't hurt when the other boats felt sorry for us "batch'n" it for the weekend and often had meals ready when we got back from loading up on salmon up in Long Bay Lagoon. Nothing like anchoring up alone, only to find 5 boats haning off your hook when you get back.
    We raft up with others more often than not. Some of the best times out there are had while at anchor.

Default Awwwww, Maaannnnn

Well, while reading the OP, I was thinking, "until I ran into Stid's post on here, I thought I was doin' ok, keeping it pretty simple, boat food comes from cans and cardboard boxes...."

But, Spoiled One, that is simply Awesome what you are doing there, thanks for the pics, I guess.
    And Yes, I expected Stidham to chime in quickly, Very Nice Guys, INSPIRING to put it mildly

I actually started trying to do some semblance of cooking on board this summer, after near 30 yrs out there, where eating was just an inconvenience, always work to do instead,...

You guys are getting it right, I'm trying to catch up now, somewhat anyway,

I gotta come up to the Sound for that Shrimping deal, "Dipped in Butter" Awwww Maaaannn

Here's my best so far, Black Bear Bkfst Sausage, Eggs, Fresh Ground Espresso

and that's my Wheatgrass Juicer on the counter there, Hmmmmm Healthy.....

Yes, I do actually grow Grass on board in the summer when fishing Out West
    and also Ye, I don't have the "Dining Photos" down so well yet, working on it tho,......

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiakrain, that's certainly a breakfast to be proud of. Anyone who has a grinder on board is doing well in my book.

Stid, I thought I had you there for a minute. Guess I should have known better than to give you a hard time about what appeared to be a funny picture. Guess I'm just use the the moves I pull on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many pictures my wife has of me with a grin on my face thinking everything's fine, only to have a problem in the background. It makes for a good laugh amongst my friends though.

I'm gonna have to get some lunch after seeing all these pics.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Kodiakrain, that's certainly a breakfast to be proud of. Anyone who has a grinder on board is doing well in my book.

Stid, I thought I had you there for a minute. Guess I should have known better than to give you a hard time about what appeared to be a funny picture. Guess I'm just use the the moves I pull on a regular basis. I can't tell you how many pictures my wife has of me with a grin on my face thinking everything's fine, only to have a problem in the background. It makes for a good laugh amongst my friends though.

I'm gonna have to get some lunch after seeing all these pics.
    OH, I have had my share of waiting for the tide to come back in. Those big tides will get you everytime when you start trying to do shore stalks.

Steve
    Founding Member

Smile Hunt for Spoiled one

Well Pete,
    We always bring a general assortment of dead animals, then hunt or catch more dead animals to throw in the mix. But, looking at all those pictures tells me we need to just hunt for you and food will be nearby.

Send us your location lat/long, time each meal is served, and which side port or starboard you prefer us to raft up to you on.

Default Eatin' well on shore...

Can't compete with Spoiled On, Stid and others on the boat, we have a cabin on shore so it's Trio Bars (nuts, seeds, fruit), wheat thins, cheese, pretzels etc. on the boat....AFTER bacon eggs grits and biscuits for a cabin breakfast; now and then a fresh face full of silver salmon eggs or a bit of shrimp/fish sushi on the boat.

With a stove, grill and oven at the cabin we eat well. But, my family has thought it was funny that I took food pictures (now they are drooling over some of yours!) so I have just a few...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Calling all bears...

We've had a few bears check out what's for dinner at the cabin, especially when the "bear call" (grill) is left outside for awhile before we clean it! Somewhere I have a picture of a pink salmon roasting on rocks in a shore fire....got marooned for 12 hours when we were checking out the cabin property and stayed too long!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast