Thread: Judging Halibut

Question Judging Halibut

OK, time to get edumicated on being able to Judge a 37" or less Halibut...don't want to be That Guy holding up a 37 1/2" one with a gaff!!! It would be like standing over a Bull Moose with 49 1/2" antlers in a 50" area...WHOOPSIDAISY!!!

Anyone got an good video or pics of a 37"er? Does ADF&G intend to put out a video? What is the Distance between the eyes of a Halibut under 37"? Width of Tail? What indicators do you guys/gals use to determine the Legal Halibut? Does the size of the bait influence the size of the fish caught? How does one get that Circle Hook out of a 60"er?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Res,

I would think anything around the 37" mark could just come over the rail and onto a measuring table, no gaff required.

Good point though.

I have measured hash marks for measuring fish by boatside.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

At the beginning of the day I'm letting a 37" Halibut go. Maybe. If I can say in certainty he'll hit 25# then I'll keep him. Book says 37" *should* be 22.9#.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Luckily an "eater class" halibut is small enough where you can reach down, grab the leader and lift it aboard for measuring, without risk of back injury..(grin)

I'm thinking the charters in SE should start using Snoopy Rods for halibut, to make it more sporting.. I might find some good deals on some broomstick rods!

How about a couple tape marks along the gaff handle. Just lay it in the water next to the fish before hauling it it. Marks on a boat pole would work as well.

Won't be any tougher then measuring lings, been doing that for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    OK, time to get edumicated on being able to Judge a 37" or less Halibut...don't want to be That Guy holding up a 37 1/2" one with a gaff!!! It would be like standing over a Bull Moose with 49 1/2" antlers in a 50" area...WHOOPSIDAISY!!!

Anyone got an good video or pics of a 37"er? Does ADF&G intend to put out a video? What is the Distance between the eyes of a Halibut under 37"? Width of Tail? What indicators do you guys/gals use to determine the Legal Halibut? Does the size of the bait influence the size of the fish caught? How does one get that Circle Hook out of a 60"er?
    Whats up with the 37"? sounds like I have missed something?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Whats up with the 37"? sounds like I have missed something?
    New size limit in southeast. http://www.adn.com/2011/01/29/167465...-harvests.html

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Size limit for Charters only....

Yep, mark the gaff handle with tape, makes for an easy way to measure fish. With a 2" wide strip of tape you'll have 35" mark for lingcod, and 37" for buts.

that article says sport charters....is the limit different for individuals fishing by themselves?