Thread: Sleeping Indian Designs Wool Clothing

Default Sleeping Indian Designs Wool Clothing

Im going to order some SI clothing here pretty soon and was wondering what people thought of it? Yes I know it's extremely expensive, and I know there are other good wool makers out there, so I would ask to only here opinions specifically about this manufacturer.
    I know if anyone has actually spoken to Ted at SI, you will know he's a little.... well lets just say he is a wool-nut... but definitely a good guy.

From all of the measurements he required, I almost felt violated... lol Is it really as warm as he says? i was wanting to get a shirt / pants setup, and a pair of standmaster bibs and extreme parka but he almost doesnt want to sell the extreme parka unless i'm going to the arctic circle... Anyone own the extreme parka? How is it?
    -Matt

I have the hooded vest. I like it overall, however it has a one way zipper, and it needs a two way zipper. When I sit with it on, I instinctively reach down to open the bottom of the zipper, but can't.

i have just about everything Sleeping Indian has to offer----EXTREMELY high quality,fit warmth etc,etc---only negative is weight---some of the items are heavy compared to synthetics---feel free to PM if you want more info

Matt;

My wife and I each have two full sets of S.I. Wool (pants & highline shirt) as well as their outfitter jacket, snow line vest, hats, & mittens. We've used it exclusively for a North Slope caribou hunt and two moose hunts on the south slope. And with our experience wearing S.I., I have no hesitation saying that it rocks! Ted isn't lying about it's warmth. I've only worn my jacket on maybe three mornings as the high line shirt is like a jacket by itself. Additionally, it's amazing how clean and odor free the wool stays. Lastly, our wool has been tough...no rips, loose seams, nothing. It's great stuff. A couple of pics...

WhiteFish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the great reviews... I'm curious about the coat / bib sizing. For example if I wear XL shirt, would an XL coat be sufficient or should I get a 2XL to allow for extra layering?

Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite1 View Post
    Thank you all for the great reviews... I'm curious about the coat / bib sizing. For example if I wear XL shirt, would an XL coat be sufficient or should I get a 2XL to allow for extra layering?
    I generally wear a XXL in T-shirts, shirts, and jackets, and my S.I. Outfitter coat, vest, and shirts are all XXL. But I'd discuss sizing with Tim and go with his information and suggestions. I can tell you that S.I. wool does shrink when it is washed (my wife and I hand wash ours) despite our best efforts to stretch it while its still wet.

WhiteFish

Whitefish, what are your thoughts on the SI vest? I dont usually wear a vest while hunting, but I could see how it could be useful on a more strenuous hunt or on a cool morning before it would warm up. Is the Jacket cut to allow you to wear shirt and vest under it, or just shirt? Very interesting about it shrinking, thanks for info (What detergent do you use?)

Quote Originally Posted by mrwhite1 View Post
    Whitefish, what are your thoughts on the SI vest? I dont usually wear a vest while hunting, but I could see how it could be useful on a more strenuous hunt or on a cool morning before it would warm up. Is the Jacket cut to allow you to wear shirt and vest under it, or just shirt? Very interesting about it shrinking, thanks for info (What detergent do you use?)
    I hate to say it but I haven't hardly worn my vest...one morning on the North Slope is all. I love the fit and it's heavy weight, but I haven't personally found a big requirement for it. My wife and I enjoy float hunting, and I thought the vests would be great to wear while oaring. But we've opted for the jackets until it warms enough where just the S.I. Shirt is required.

I'm certainly not a fitting expert, but I do know that the S.I. Jackets are sized to fit over the similar size shirt (my shirt and outfitter jacket are both size XXL). With the jacket on I've got plenty of unrestricted movement for oaring, camp chores, even taking a kill shot on a bull moose as I did this past fall.

We've noticed the wool shrinkage mostly in the pants despite us stretching them while they are dripping wet and throughout the hanging drying process. We have also learned that after a half or full day of wearing the pants they seem to stretch back out to the size they should be. So not a big deal to us... We hand wash all of our S.I. Wool at the end of each season. We use a big tub, water hose, and liquid Tide detergent. It takes a while as the thick wool generally takes three fresh water rinses to flush all of the soap out. I've long wished that I lived next to a nice clean flowing stream for the washing and rinsing.

WhiteFish

I have the Outfitter jacket and was considering buyint the Mountain Hunter Jacket. Any thoughts on either jacket?

Thanks,
    Brian

I have had the Extreme Parka, pants and Highline Shirt for almost 20 years. Still look new but must confess much of the wear has been in a treestand. However late elk hunts in western US prove a good backdrop for the clothing. The Extreme Parka is too warm for any sustained hiking/climbing. It wears like iron and will last forever I guess if you take care of it. Good luck.

Mr White,
    I have the Sheep Mtn shirt/jacket, got it quite some time ago and a pair of their pants that I cannot recall the name of. Whatever you get you will not be disappointed. They really are as warm as they say. When it's windy or rainy I wear a very thin gore-tex shell over it to cut the wind and when it gets really cold I just throw on a poly-pro underneath it. With a thin baselayer, the sheep jacket and a shell I feel very comfortable in single digit temps even when not moving around. The Extreme parka is made for extreme temps. I'm sure you would sweat your nuts off if you had it on in anything above 0.
    I'd try one of the shirt/jacks first to see just how warm they really are.

I am looking to buy Sleeping Indian wool camo clothing in both brown and grey.

Specifically I am looking for Mountain Hunter Extreme Parka in both Brown and Grey Camo XL.

Also Outfitter jacket in Brown Camo XL.

Finally, other Sleeping Indian accessories in both Brown and Grey Camo. I have several pieces of SI but need these outlined here. I love this stuff and do some pretty brutal cold winter hunting way up north.

Thank you.

Just was looking at their website and it said they are no longer taking orders or doing repairs due to the passing of the owner.

For the best high quality wool check out http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php now that S.I. is closed.

I really like the Sleeping Indian stuff. So if anyone is selling their used SI clothing now that the owner Ted Ranck has passed, please let me know via my email address: herbette@exploria.net