Thread: Cabelas Big Horn 3 vs Cabelas XWT: Opinions

Default Cabelas Big Horn 3 vs Cabelas XWT: Opinions

I have been trying to decide which of these two tents I should get and thought I would poll some of your guys opinions. Both are rated extremely well, so in reality I probably wont go wrong with either. Im leaning slightly more toward big horn 3 because it looks like it would give me more versatility in many different situations from family outings to longer hunting trips. People that own these tents, can you please give me your opinions and experiences with them? Pictures would also be greatly appreciated
    -Matt

Single wall vs. double wall so consider condensation. Stove jack or not. I really think this is an apples to oranges comparison.

I agree. Pretty different tents to compare. I recently picked up the bighorn. Its a Huge tent. Both broken down for transport and set up. I have concerns about finding spots to set it up in. But when I do set it up it will be worth it. I had it set up in my yard and man is it huge! Best of all its that way all throughout the interior. Not just the middle like most tents.

It looks well built and sturdy too.

Im a little nervous about the condensation issue. But I also plan on having my diesel stove running inside it during hunting season so maybe that will take care of it. Also Looks like I could rig a drop cloth of sorts across the ceiling to maybe catch the moisture in the air.

Hopefully my 2 cents were worth it to ya.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes I agree these are 2 completely different styles of tents so an accurate comparison may not be possible.
    I have heard of some issues with condensation with the big horn, but I have also read there are several vents on it as well. Some people have issues while other reviews I've read do not... If anyone has some experience with condensation in the big horn, please let me know.

as far as condensation goes I think there are alot of factors that contribute to that.
    Reletive Humidity
    number of occupants (and how wet they are when entering the tent)
    Night time temp vs daytime
    Using a stove inside the tent

The bighorn has alot of vents, but just like any other nylon tent its going to get condensation in it from time to time. It being a huge tent it just gathers alot of it and is more of a bother

I have used the bighorn 2 for years, I bought all the accessories, to include a wood stove. I still really like it. With the stove, I see almost no condensation, whether my clothes are wet or not. I live in it for 3 weeks straight every moose season, so by now I am familiar with about everything it has to offer or not. I also use a 40x60 blue tarp over my entire camp, which helps with everything, it's just a PITA to set-up.

XWT hands down
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sports Authority has the North Face VE 25 on sale for $399.99 right now.

I'm only interested in the Big Horn 3 and the XWT

Jake and I always agree when the XWT is compared to another tent of equal cost. I love my 10x10. They are heavy with provided stakes but can be lightened with something other than steel stakes. For years I used guide models and have several damaged from heavy winds, but not the XWT. It stays dry in the worst wind and rain it can dish out.