Thread: June anywhere in Alaska

Default June anywhere in Alaska

I finalized my second divorce today (I guess it must be me... I can laugh about it now) I'm thinking about making two AK trips this year. If any of you could go anywhere in AK fishing in June-where would you go and why? I'm not going to do combat fishing-so I've heard the Russian is out.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Overnight trip with Crackerjack out of Seward. PM AKCapt on this forum. Jurassic-Big halibut and potential for lotsa kings.

Or, mooching kings out of Craig/Klawock with Prince of Wales Sportfishing. Potential for lotsa big kings.

Or, 3-4 day trip with Murphy Sportfishing in Kyuquot, BC. Good king fishing out on the "highway" (50 fathom line).

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    I finalized my second divorce today (I guess it must be me... I can laugh about it now) I'm thinking about making two AK trips this year. If any of you could go anywhere in AK fishing in June-where would you go and why? I'm not going to do combat fishing-so I've heard the Russian is out.
    I fish the Deshka River and the Little Susitna in June for Kings... Traditionally the last week of June the Kings and Reds are running in the Gulkana..

I would fish for kings and rainbows on the Nushagak and surrounding drainages. My second choice would be a saltwater/freshwater combo out of Cordova or somewhere in Southeast where I could troll for saltwater kings and fish the rivers for cutthroat or other local species.

I'd look at Kodiak for offshore fishing.

Last week of June for kings in SE.. Sitka is usually red hot, as usually POW is too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would fish for kings and rainbows on the Nushagak and surrounding drainages. My second choice would be a saltwater/freshwater combo out of Cordova or somewhere in Southeast where I could troll for saltwater kings and fish the rivers for cutthroat or other local species.
    With Brian on this one. LOVE LOVE LOVE PWS!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'd go to Russia
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd go to Russia
    do you promise?
    <edit> aw I shouldn't be that way....where in Russia and what kind of fish do they have?
    Last edited by fullbush; 02-07-2011 at 11:59. Reason: I felt bad for giving the monkey a hard time

1st Choice ~ Old Harbor for the hog kings. John Peterson with Kodiak Combos has a real good reputation.
    2nd Choice ~ Sitka with Big Blue for what is usually red hot king action.
    3rd Choice ~ Something out of Craig. I fish there every year but do so out of lodges.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am