Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha 700 Grizzly

Default Yamaha 700 Grizzly

What differences, if any, are there between a 2007 Yamaha 700 Grizzly vs. 09 and newer? If I'm not mistaken, I believe 2007 was the first year the 700 was introduced and had EFI and EPS. I'm comparing a couple of machines and my hesitation on buying a product in its first year of production where maybe all the kinks hadn't been worked out in later models is causing me some questions. Any information would be appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference. I have an '07, my sweetie rides an '08 and my friends ride an '09. With the engine, the only issue I can think of is they all have a tendency to stall, although I will say mine probably does it just a little more than the two newer models. They also have a weakness in the axles- if you get stuck and start spinning them and then catch traction you can twist the axles right off. My Sweetie took one axle out that way last year on one side, my friend took both the front and rear axles out last year on the right side only and had to limp out in 1WD. I've never done that, but I don't fight the mud quite as hard, either. The bodies have a tendency to pop the plastic rivets and get loose. Those are about the only issues I can think of. I still think they're the best ATV made. They have a great power to weigh ratio, the 4WD drive system is bomb proof, they get good mileage, the seat is quite comfortable, lots of room on front and rear racks for stuff, engine braking is good. Perhaps my only gripe about the design on the Grizzlies would be that they put the oil filter in a tight spot to reach and the radiator could be easier to get to for cleaning.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

09 went to a different spark plug to help with the stalling, I have to burp the throttle a bunch when sitting still to Make it stall, never had a problem riding.

If you are considering EPS then there is a difference. 2007 and 2008 models have a vent hose for the EPS. This hose is known to leak or come off and allow water - mud - etc. into the EPS. Yamaha WILL NOT warrante the EPS if you get water or mud inside claiming is is owner abuse. They changed the EPS in 09 or 10, not sure which year but the 2010 and newer does not have the vent. If you are buying an older model check the vent hose and then BUYER BEWARE.

I have an '08 with over 3200 miles of VERY hard riding. It has NEVER broken down. Buy one in any model year and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I have an '08 with over 3200 miles of VERY hard riding. It has NEVER broken down. Buy one in any model year and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
    I agree, though mine has fewer miles of easier running than that. Yesterday went to plow the driveway for the first time this year. It hasn't been run in like 4 months and it lives outdoors. It started up immediately and idled perfectly immediately. Best ATV I've ever driven, let alone owned.

Mine is the brushed silver special edition; love it; it doesn't show scratches with that finish.

Define hard riding??? I have spent alot of time riding this past year did the 51 mile loop at petersville, rode Eureka, did the swede lake trail to 12 mile with Bronco and majority of the wheelere we saw were 1 of 3 Honda, Polaris and Artic Cat oh and Argos did not see the other brand out in full force.. If you all want to go for a hard ride to test your machines let me know I know where to take you!

Default Hard riding

Most of my riding is easy, but the hardest I did in my Grizzly was dragging a dead Can Am 4wheeler plus its rider/steerer up a 30 to 40 degree slope.

I was in diff lock and got a good start up the approx. 100 foot vertical hill. We got goin' slower, and slower with my front end rising up, front tires landing on left side of trail, back up, land on right side of trail, back and forth like that, and me with my face glued to the front rack.

Finally we come to a dead halt, though I'm still spinning all 4 ITP mudlites on dry trail, and the smoke from all 4 tires is wafting up the hill ahead of me.

I considered stopping, and winching the rest of the way up but for some reason kept my thumb in it. Then I started moving again, and eventually made it to the top.

Who knew a can am was that darned heavy.

Thought I was going to flip that day. Sat at the top for 15 minutes with a cold barley pop, contemplating my luck.

I think a good test of any machine is to ride Pinochle right after hunting season.

Our Grizzlies have tackled Eureka, Pinochle, Beringer, Puritan, Kings River, Permanente, KRPUA, various Hatchers Pass trails etc. and some stuff where there were no trails. There's never been anything we couldn't do that another ATV could have. I'm not knocking other rides- most of the big names put out decent ATV's- but I've never regretted my choice of the Grizz 700.

I also have the brushed silver limited edition. It does do a good job hiding scratches.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    ... but I've never regretted my choice of the Grizz 700.

I also have the brushed silver limited edition. It does do a good job hiding scratches.
    That makes 3 on here; one of the mods has the same machine we do. They're rare though; never seen another one while afield.

Got mine kinda decked out with the largest back seat (& BOX) I could find, a "Big Wes"; it even has an extra taillight at its top, so that puts it about shoulder height to me (I'm over 6' tall). The box is so big there's a special compartment made to stash a 2 gallon jerrycan, which I keep full. And I love my hand and thumb warmers when I'm plowing. Nice GPS holder too.

Did you know you could diddle with the bottons on the console, which would change the fuel injection rate, and up your HP by about 30%. True. I'm not doing it though; it uses enough gas as is, and has plenty of power now. Too much power for the kids; I got them a smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That makes 3 on here; one of the mods has the same machine we do. They're rare though; never seen another one while afield.

Got mine kinda decked out with the largest back seat (& BOX) I could find, a "Big Wes"; it even has an extra taillight at its top, so that puts it about shoulder height to me (I'm over 6' tall). The box is so big there's a special compartment made to stash a 2 gallon jerrycan, which I keep full. And I love my hand and thumb warmers when I'm plowing. Nice GPS holder too.

Did you know you could diddle with the bottons on the console, which would change the fuel injection rate, and up your HP by about 30%. True. I'm not doing it though; it uses enough gas as is, and has plenty of power now. Too much power for the kids; I got them a smaller one.
    I've seen a couple Silver ones but never stopped to chat. Maybe next time I will- it could be someone from the forum.

Mine has a Yamaha box on the front, custom shifter and brake fluid covers, ITP 589's on aftermarket aluminum rims and if we're going for distance I have another wooden box for the back that holds gas cans and extras. Oh, and mine does have handwarmers as well. Those are nice. On low-snow years we ride the ATV's all winter too. I also have a GPS holder, mounted to the handlebars. I bought a holster mount, also, but haven't yet put it on.

I do know you can adjust the computer and have the instructions to do so...I've heard it might solve my stalling issue but the stalling issue hasn't been a big deal and so far I haven't messed with it. It runs pretty good. About the only thing I've considered is putting a clutch kit on it to give it a little more oomph with those heavier 589 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Define hard riding???
    Let's go for a ride sometime, I'll show ya how to ride hard. ;-)

Family man - you can bump that count to four. AKmuddy has one. He doesn't post here much though. Mine is the black limited edition from '08. The "midnight armor".

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default shifter

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    custom shifter
    Yeah, I've thought about 589s, and went with mud lites.

Did you redo the shifter due to the infamous shifter problem? Mine had that too, but as advertised the cure is a put a few hundred miles on it and it fixed itself.

Yeah, I've thought about 589s, and went with mud lites.

Did you redo the shifter due to the infamous shifter problem? Mine had that too, but as advertised the cure is a put a few hundred miles on it and it fixed itself.
    Sorry- I should have been more specific. My sweetie bought me a custom shift knob and custom plates to replace the tops of the brake fluid reservoirs. Some guy on one of the other forums makes custom ones that he'll put your name or a short quote or a picture or whatever on.

The rest of the shifting mechanism is stock.

Sorry for the confusion.

So how does this diddling work to increase HP?? Where are the instructions and are there any drawbacks other than increased fuel consumption?? Is it included in the owners manual??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    So how does this diddling work to increase HP?? Where are the instructions and are there any drawbacks other than increased fuel consumption?? Is it included in the owners manual??
    Thanks
    It increases the fuel supply by making adjustments to the efi. No, Yammie doesn't endorse it, instructions are on the internet.

It increases the fuel rate on the bottom 25% of the rpm range. Don't think you'll get 30% increase. Slight increase on the bottom end. Probably only feel the difference if you are used to the machine.
    It will help cold starting IF you had a little trouble before. You can get it too rich, just need to read the spark plug.
    Easy mod to do. I did it to my '09 and a couple of '07's.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Let's go for a ride sometime, I'll show ya how to ride hard. ;-)

Family man - you can bump that count to four. AKmuddy has one. He doesn't post here much though. Mine is the black limited edition from '08. The "midnight armor".
    sure I can take you to petersville we can do the 51 mile loop nice country. We can do the 1st 16 miles of hell or do it last. Your call

Go to http://grizzlycentral.com for any info needed for your grizzly . you'll find instructions on how to do the modpod , quick shim mod for your clutch (25% lower gear ratio ?) for like $9 and many more helpfull tips .

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    Go to http://grizzlycentral.com for any info needed for your grizzly . you'll find instructions on how to do the modpod , quick shim mod for your clutch (25% lower gear ratio ?) for like $9 and many more helpfull tips .
    Such a very amazing link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast