Thread: Polaris help

Default Polaris help

I have a 1993 Indy 500. When you get to 6000 rpm the eng bogs out really bad. I Changed the plugs and the fuel filter. Anyone know what might be doing it?

A 93 is an EFI, yes? This bog is on the snow? Does it run up properly when the track is lifted off the snow? Look at your clutches.

yes it is a EFI. I have not tryed to run it up with the track lifted. I will have to try that.

Hey S,B, This is mine, Widetrak LX 488, Twin carb,The other weekend started right off even at -42. Run,s perfect, even with 1000lbs behind it,Trail, powder, Makes no difference,You would not know there is any thing wrong with it from zero to half throttle. than just past half you get the bogg. I did flip the choke lever, on the run and no change,Seems like running little fat, on the upper rpms, Clutches seem to be smooth up off the ground.,Plugs good burn, pulse line good,He,s checking needles now. see if they hour glass shape. I havn,t moved the little clips yet on the needles to see if that would change it. Does this have those reed valves people talk about cleaning? And read something about exshaust valves? I never have messed with any of that.. Just can,t fig this one out, other than that it,s 19 yrs old and has about +12,k miles on it, Maybe time for a set of rings.

If you have a widetrak it has neither reeds or exhaust valves. If it bogs at half throttle or more check your choke lever on the back side of it were it splits into two cables there is a small case that sometimes seperates and causes one carb to stay choked. Also check that your air box is free of obstructions, check the boot between the carb and the cylinder for cracking. These are the places i would look first. I have a 2001 same moter but different transmission. It is a excellent sled. Good luck.

No reeds or valves,Never thought of choke lever, Will i be able to see the seperation??But i did flip a couple times on the go,when it was bogging and no change,Checked all the easy stuff,Air box, Changed plugs,checked little tip end on plug is tight, wires seem to be ok,clutch smooth,boots seem to be good, no lean, old plugs looked nice, light brown. He is checking float bowls now have to see what turns up in there? Thing of it is starts right up, runs fine you would not know there is anything wrong with it,Until trying to catch up and demand little more of it, about 6200rpms right at half throttle, has been a good old machine, It always did what i asked of it..I just upgraded to a SWT, 2yr,s ago. My loaner now.

Have you checked for exhaust restriction?

Will add exhaust to list, Thanks

Bet you a dollar your clutches need rebuilding. You've run so many miles putting about you should check for a ridge formed in the primary. You prolly won't even be able to feel it...maybe. Check with a flashlight, but 12k definitely need them rebuilt and I would almost guarantee this to be your problem as at 6200 and 1/2 throttle should be around the shift point.

I forgot to add: when was the last time you aligned the clutches and/or replaced the belt? Might as well do these at same time as the rebuild. If you have the tools only takes an hour or so to do primary and secondary.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

At about 10k i went though the whole thing, Replaced everything that was worn.clutches rollers, ramps, tranny chains, bearings ect... Then when ahead bought a new machine, They seem to shift smooth no hang up,s They Look good, Short of pulling off and apart.I talked to a friend that has drove these for yr,s and has had trouble with.Ground to coil [crappy spot] key switch, Cdi box, Ha, the list keeps growing, It just feels like electical problem, We,ll keep digging,Thanks for the reply.