Thread: boots for stocking foot waders?

Default boots for stocking foot waders?

i bought a pair ofcabelas stocking foot waders trying to find ideas for a boot ? to wear over them for caribou and moose hunting.any thoughts...............

Default regular boots...

go to an REI return shelf or cabelas bargain bin type place (with your waders) and try on various boots to get the best fit, then either get a pair there or order what you want. typical wader boots rarely have the combination of lug sole and support you need to walk on tundra or carry #90 loads.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

How much walking are you planning on doing in the waders? Any bob sole boot for stocking foot waders should be fine for moderate walking.

If you have to do a lot of walking in stocking foot waders then I would stay away from regular hunting boots. Any good boot is going to fill up quickly with water, not drain well, and get very heavy. If you have to do a lot of walking in stocking foot waders then I would buy a pair of cheapo tennis shoes. Running shoes usually have a lot of mesh to breath well, will let the water out as well, and provide more foot support than bob wader shoes. However, running shoes won't have any ankle support.

If you are going to hike a lot as part of your hunting but will also need to cross deeper areas of water I would buy an oversock like Wiggy's Glacier Socks or, if you need something sturdier, Neos hip length over boots. With these you can have your hiking boot for support but be able to quickly throw on the equivalent of hip waders for wet areas. My partner has the socks and I have the Neos. The Neos are a bit heavy for packing but can be worn for extended periods without fear of damaging the bottoms on something sharp.

Wink

I have the same system, I"ve been using Cabelas air bob nylon wading boot, lace up model. I"ve found that the laces have to be replaced, to short and order one size larger than reg. boot size to fit the bulkey neoprene bottom. They don"t pull off, in the marshes and, they take up less space to pack than rubber hip boots. As a matter of fact they have outlasted all the rubber, they crack, types that I have owned. I would bring some duck tape for emergency repair even though I"'ve never needed this, for the nylon tops. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Goodwill Boots

Take your waders down to Goodwill or Salvation Army and try on boots till you find a couple of pairs you think may work for you. $1.50 and you have 2 sets of wading boots. I learned this trick from the Kruegers. Never paid 60 bucks for a set of wading boots, never will.

Default Korkers

Good morning to you.

I had a similar question and got a recommendation for Korkers wading shoes. You can change out from felt soles to lugged sole for moderate hiking. I just ordered a pair from Sierra Trading Post.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/3...ing-Shoes.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

yhc

Default Boots

Many people go with a boot size one size larger than normal when wearing over neoprene booties in waders. If a long trip is planned, you may consider a thin liner sock on your feet (under booties) and applying some gold bond powder each day to take care of your feet. Take a repair kit for the neoprene. When you get your boots and all, put the waders and boots on and wear them for several hours to be sure they fit. What feels good in the store may feel very uncomfortable after a few hours if it is even slightly too tight. Also, tight fitting boots of any kind will make for cold feet due to reduced blood flow. Consider all this at home before you rely on these items in the field.