Thread: Muskeg Frost Diamonds

Default Muskeg Frost Diamonds

Imbolc Greetings,

Here are a few from the muskeg this weekend before the wind came up.

As always, suggestions and ideas to improve these or to set things up differently next time are appreciated.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

They are awesome Bruce! I appreciate your pictures of Sitka when I'm at work.

The DOF on the third one is impressively narrow. Do you have a version shot at a higher f-stop, with a DOF which shows more of the branch (twig?) in focus. I was wondering how that would look.

The overcast background on the last one takes a bit away from the image.

I only say these things because you asked!!! I think they are all great. The first one especially so.

Thanks again for bringing a bit of home to those of us not there right now. I should be home for the herring opener, and that's always a great photo opportunity!

I like the shallow DOF, but the backgrounds are still distracting on 2 & 4. The last 2 need more exposure, as they are dark. I'm sure you could do this after the fact in an image editor. Also #3 looks like it's too blue, and could stand some white balance correction.

None the less, I like these pictures. Makes me want to find my macro lens. I know it's around here someplace...

Wow. Thanks for the ideas and insight. Brian we are looking for the sea to wake up and the herring to come. Eagles are looking lean and mean. Hope you are safe. You both mentioned busy distracting backgrounds. I continue to struggle with having something in the background vs being too distracting. Agree on all accounts. You guys have any 'rule of thumb' insight for that balance? I need to keep that in mind before firing away.

Thank you both for taking time to help.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

No rule of thumb from me Bruce. Any of my pictures that look good are sheer luck.

I never seem to hit it right. Either too busy, too empty and nondescript, or too confusing. Thanks to both of you. I did play with the white balance on the third one to try to get the yellow of the grass to stand out more. In the process I added blue to the frost. It does look skewed. I appreciate the help. Now I just need to remember to compose them before I shoot.