Thread: Moose calf call on a Foxpro

Default Moose calf call on a Foxpro

So I emailed Foxpro and asked them if they made a moose calf call. They said they did not. I informed them that they should since up to 60% of our moose calves up here in Alaska are killed by bears and wolves. It seems kind of funny to me that they make a moose grunt, cow call, bull thrashing, and moose urinating sounds, but they don't make a moose calf sound. And the irony is you can't even use the moose sounds to hunt moose. It is illegal to hunt moose with an electronic caller. I noticed some people talking on here about using calf distress calls to call in bears. So my question is which calls seem to work best or sound the most like a moose calf. Whitetail fawn distress, Mule deer fawn distress, Blacktail fawn distress? Antelope distress? Elk calf distress? I went on to Foxpro's website and listened to their sound previews. To me the fawn distress sounds are more similar to a moose calf than an elk calf is. Check out their website and tell me what you think. What sounds the most like a moose calf? http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpsounds/index.php

fawn distress will work well. Someone needs to get a digital recording of a calf crying. 20 seconds of that can turn into one hell of a looped sound!!!

Loren Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Reese Outdoors View Post
    fawn distress will work well. Someone needs to get a digital recording of a calf crying. 20 seconds of that can turn into one hell of a looped sound!!!

Loren Reese
    Hey thanks Loren. I actually tried to email you and ask you what you used on your bear hunt. I saw your video on your website. So that was actually a fawn in distress call huh? Any particular kind you favor? Whitetail, Blacktail, Mule deer? Thanks for your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEW-...EB3463FA78E3AC

I found this video and compared the sound this calf makes to the foxpro sounds and I think it was the blacktail fawn distress that sounded the closest to me. But at least this should give you an actual sound to compare to.

When I ordered my foxpro I got the bear cub in distress call, figuring that it might be an effective call for getting a boar's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEW-...EB3463FA78E3AC

I found this video and compared the sound this calf makes to the foxpro sounds and I think it was the blacktail fawn distress that sounded the closest to me. But at least this should give you an actual sound to compare to.
    Thanks Tony. Great video. Someone should sent that to Foxpro. Maybe they can figure a way to get that sound recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When I ordered my foxpro I got the bear cub in distress call, figuring that it might be an effective call for getting a boar's attention.
    Good tip Brian. Thanks.

Wasn't there a calf vs grizzly in Eagle River or adjacent area fairly recently and video of the kill? I thought they got footage of the calf and bear in the driveway next to the house and the calf was very vocal, but now I don't find the video. The killing went on for a very long time.
    As for electronic calls being illegal for moose hunting I do not find that in the regs. Don't get me wrong, I think it should be, but can't seem to find the verbage that supports it. Years back a well known local boat dealer was upriver from me and I heard the worst cacaphony of sound you can imagine. I ran to a tree and clambered up to witness several moose running from the area.
    Later I was upriver and stopped at their camp. To my surprise, I found that they were using their on board cassette/stereo system to "call" moose. YUCK!! I did go to AST to complain and found that at that point in time it was legal. DOUBLE YUCK!!
    If I know it is in fact illegal, I will run point in being sure people abide by the rule.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    As for electronic calls being illegal for moose hunting I do not find that in the regs. Don't get me wrong, I think it should be, but can't seem to find the verbage that supports it.
    ARR - Page 18 of the regs, in the middle of the second column under the section about radio communications, etc. It states specifically: "Electronic calls may be used for all game animals except moose."

If anyone is interested I have a mp3 similar to the youtube video. Without the human voices.

If you have any kind of moose vocals on your call and you happen to be out during moose season, even if your not using it or even hunting moose, brace yourself for a ticket.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    If you have any kind of moose vocals on your call and you happen to be out during moose season, even if your not using it or even hunting moose, brace yourself for a ticket.
    Do you have a referance for your quote??? I don't see it that way. Why can't I use a moose distress call to hunt bears in the fall?? The regs say this.
    -- Electronic calls may be used for all game animals except
    moose.

I don't think you are correct on this one Sir.

Now if you are calling for other animals and a moose comes and you shoot it, then you got trouble. But I don't see that having possession of moose vocals on your caller as an offense.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

This particular situation would be at the discretion of the Trooper at the scene. There is always their "interpretation" of the law in such predicaments and sometimes it doesn't go well for the hunter no matter how justifiable you'd make it sound. I'd be one to err on the side of caution and not have it in the field during moose season. Technically, it could and does make some sense, but ol' Trooper Bob might not see it that way. My .02...

Do you have a referance for your quote??? I don't see it that way. Why can't I use a moose distress call to hunt bears in the fall?? The regs say this.
    Yeah, I do. I had the sounds placed on my ecaller when it was legal. So when they changed the regs I went down to F&G myself and asked about it. I was advised that it would be better left at home unless I wanted to be explaining myself in a court room. The conversation was a little more then that but its pretty much as Donkey said. They'll just assume the intent is there. Akin to your girlfriends father finding a condom in your coat pocket as a young man, your done for regardless of the intent or explination. I asked and they were nice about it so I just leave that particular call at home during moose season.

You might be right, but I'm not the one making that call.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Yeah, I do. I had the sounds placed on my ecaller when it was legal. So when they changed the regs I went down to F&G myself and asked about it. I was advised that it would be better left at home unless I wanted to be explaining myself in a court room. The conversation was a little more then that but its pretty much as Donkey said. They'll just assume the intent is there. Akin to your girlfriends father finding a condom in your coat pocket as a young man, your done for regardless of the intent or explination. I asked and they were nice about it so I just leave that particular call at home during moose season.

You might be right, but I'm not the one making that call.
    Sounds like a question we should ask the Wildlife Trooper.

I can tell you that I would fight that charge with my last red cent. E-Calls are legal to hunt other animals and the regs do not state what sounds are legal and which are not.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Happy Days Brian! I looked past that line several times. Very cool and I for one agree w/ that rule.
    Waterwolf, I just blew soda through my nose thanks to your condom analogy! WAY TOO FUNNY, but quite accurate.
    Thanks guys,
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    -- Electronic calls may be used for all game animals except
    moose.

Now if you are calling for other animals and a moose comes and you shoot it, then you got trouble. But I don't see that having possession of moose vocals on your caller as an offense.

Steve

There is a legal concept known as constructive intent that feral agencies such as the waffen BATFEces uses to pick low-risk, low-hanging fruit. Not sure if the idea can apply to wildlife violations. But if you are out waterfowl hunting and have any lead in your possession regardless if you use it or not you're toast.

So I would imagine that you could possibly run into someone that was willing to make that stretch and end up having to defend yourself in court.
    Now what ?