Thread: Reloading for Beginners - How to start

Default Reloading for Beginners - How to start

My friend and I have debated on getting into reloading for somethig to do in the winter as well as get our reloading buddies off our asses. Anyway we have some pretty normal rifles and pistols we would like to reload for. Is there somewhere like a reloading for dummies buying guide so we know what we need to purchase to get started. This won't be mass production.

Also is there some sort of like 'cookbook' for loads for specific rifles?

Thanks for any info!

Gooch and Corn
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I like to cruise the reviews at cheaperthandirt.com. When I bought a press I was able to find all the other bits folks found they needed or were helpful right in the given press review. I went with a Lee turret press and have an older reloading book with all the basic loads for most calibers and bullet weights. I see alot of older books cheap at the gunshows and i have a loads website that i don't think i can post here but can PM if ya like.

First off read this post. There is some VERY good info here. It will help you out a lot:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Where-to-start

There is a Hand-loading Forum just a few links below this one.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I've got the Speer reloading manual #13 the first 70 pages are a how to and what you need.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Also on loading books I have seen quite a few at Wave Books in Anchorage. All used, but don't think much has changed.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

The ABCs of Reloading is probably about as good as it gets for showing how to in book form. Of course with that they show the necessary equiptment. Which brand or type of any particular reloading item that you choose will depend a lot on your way of wanting to do something and your budget. SW has individual cartridge loading pamphlets that give fairly in depth info on one specific cartridge. If I recall, they are around $7/$8 each. I have a standing offer to help new loaders getting started. If you want to bring your friend and visit me in the man cave, I have several types of loading equiptment set up from a hand held Lee to a Dillon 550 and will show you the advantages of the different goodies before you put out your hard earned cash on something that may not be right for you. SW also has reloading clinics on occasion that should be worthwhile. Call me if interested Buck 688-3849

Ditto on Shoedawg's post. Follow the link to the reloading thread, tons of good sound advice there. Great hobby!

I use rcbs which costs a bit more but there are lots more dies at local stores for rcbs.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I use rcbs which costs a bit more but there are lots more dies at local stores for rcbs.
    Lee & Hornady presses will work with RCBS dies, in fact dies seem to be threaded to a common industry standard. I have a mixture of different company's dies.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The ABCs of Reloading is probably about as good as it gets for showing how to in book form.
    +1

I was going to recommend that book if no one else had already. Get it and read it. I believe it's available at Barnes & Noble. Also find some people knowledgable about reloading and have them walk you through it. Good luck!!!

Brett

PS. It's also easier to ask and clarify something you don't understand 10 times than it is to reattach fingers once.......................

Default reloading

Ditto pretty much everything here so far. For inexpensive starting equipment, I would look at the Lee line of products. You can get started pretty reasonably and with good stuff. Much can be found online if you don't find it locally. If you can't find the ABC's, I also like the Lyman manual. It is pretty basic and thorough, too. Don't forget to ask around: You may be surprise who else reloads around your area.
    Good luck and have fun!

I think Hornady also has a CD out if you still are not comfortable with what you read - I don't know anything about it but I imagine its well done and gives you good visuals to learn by....
    Just type in Hornady and you will get their website...
    If in doubt call someone as it can be fun but there are dangers also that need to be avoided!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks a bunch guys I appreciate all the info. I will head out this weekend to purchase a few books and get reading. I appreciate the offer for a personal demonstration, Corn and I will probably take you up on it!

Also sorry I missed the reloading forum.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

This link shows how to use a Lee Loader. Pretty much the most basic reloading setup you will find. I started with one around 40 years ago and I still use one on occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Since there are 2 of you, each of you should buy a different manual to read and then switch. Consider used equipment if it is in good shape. Single stage press is plenty, RCBS is a very good brand with a great warranty. Several web sites have thread to introduce people to reloading, read them as well. Sniper's Hide probably has one of the best.