Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Lingcod only charter from Homer

  1. #1
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default Lingcod only charter from Homer

    Anyone here done a Lingcod only charter from Homer? Looking for an outfit to hit that someone can give a recommendation on. I know we've beat alot of this to death but I'm not interested in a combo charter just the Lings.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  2. #2
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    are you just looking for a short day?
    considering the run time to dependable "big ling country" and the fact that once you are on 'em it generally doesn't take very long to get a limit it seems odd to not chase a few halibut or salmon.
    i don't know anyone who does a "ling only" charter, but i am sure that several dead presidents (per person, of course ) would find someone who would.
    you would almost certainly need to book the whole boat as well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Anyone here done a Lingcod only charter from Homer? Looking for an outfit to hit that someone can give a recommendation on. I know we've beat alot of this to death but I'm not interested in a combo charter just the Lings.
    I don't get your question. I wouldn't refuse to just go out and fish for lings if someone asked me to and I just can't imagine any charter operator saying, "Sorry, I'll ONLY take you out if you're willing to fish for fish you don't want to fish for." That's an odd question to me. Or am I missing something here.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  4. #4
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Must....


    ...Resist.....

    ....The Urge.....

    To.....

    ...Answer that .....

    Last...

    .

    .......Question....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    you would almost certainly need to book the whole boat as well.
    Well, I know of at least one charter operator that works on a "book the whole boat" basis with a pricing structure to fit the number of people that are fishing with him. Not everyone down here just books 6 people to fill up their boat no matter what. Some guys down here like those "take one, or two, or 3 people charters. I find then refreshing.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  6. #6
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Hippie
    Hang in there ............you can do it

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Hippie
    Hang in there ............you can do it

    There HAS to be a support group for this kinda thing...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  8. #8
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default Support or not


    I never heard of "Blaster's Anonymous"
    Does such a group exist ?
    Sure did get a grin outa me...........

  9. #9
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    You may see some this summer as many boats will not be allowed to fish halibut because of no limited entry permit.

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    If the rule limiting halibut charters goes into effect this year, I imagine you'll see more charters offering ling-only trips. Since they won't legally be allowed to target halibut, lings, rockfish, and salmon will be the order of the day.

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    ah...capt'dd beat me to it by a second.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If the rule limiting halibut charters goes into effect this year, I imagine you'll see more charters offering ling-only trips. Since they won't legally be allowed to target halibut, lings, rockfish, and salmon will be the order of the day.
    It's already in effect,,,the lawsuit against it will go nowhere....

  13. #13
    Member Kotton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anchorage ak
    Posts
    652

    Default lingcod only charters

    Give Daniels Personalized Guide Service a call they do ling only charters.It is a buy the whole boat trip but for 1881.25 split with six guys it is not to bad for a 140 mile r/t.He will put you on fish,he's a top notch guy.Check his web site out.Hear is a pic of last 4th of july,Notice all the little lings on the ground,my brother followed in his boat and just couldn't figure them out like 'ol Daniel.



  14. #14
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    It's already in effect,,,the lawsuit against it will go nowhere....
    Fair enough. I guess today was the last day, eh?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Give Daniels Personalized Guide Service a call they do ling only charters.It is a buy the whole boat trip but for 1881.25 split with six guys it is not to bad for a 140 mile r/t.He will put you on fish,he's a top notch guy.Check his web site out.Hear is a pic of last 4th of july,Notice all the little lings on the ground,my brother followed in his boat and just couldn't figure them out like 'ol Daniel.


    At first glance I thought the sign said "Butt Packers". I don't know about you guys, but that name sounds like something to avoid.....Just curious, how much does one tip them?????

  16. #16
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    At first glance I thought the sign said "Butt Packers". I don't know about you guys, but that name sounds like something to avoid.....Just curious, how much does one tip them?????
    Based on the price and the size of that impressive haul, I'd wager somewhere in the 3 to 4 Benjamins range...As a starting point...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  17. #17
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    You may see some this summer as many boats will not be allowed to fish halibut because of no limited entry permit.
    i would expect MUCH more restrictive ling and rockfish limits are in store when charters begin to target them.... pretty much guarantee it, as a matter of fact, fish and game is already concerned.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  18. #18
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Thanks for the info. It's not that I wouldn't want to fish Halibut or Rockfish too, I just wouldn't want to waste a ton of time chasing those particular fish. I know some people get bummed out on combo charters because they usually bring home ''less desirable'' halibut.

    I'm looking into the combo deals and Ling only.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  19. #19
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    804

    Default Very Concerned

    If things go the way they have in SE there will be many CHP for sale before to long, very cheaply. If the halibut stocks are not rebuilt then we could see the same restrictions here before too long. One halibut less than 37 inches. That will put a ton of pressure on other fish stocks. Hope it does not come to that in SC.

  20. #20
    Member Albradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,Alaska
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    At first glance I thought the sign said "Butt Packers". I don't know about you guys, but that name sounds like something to avoid.....Just curious, how much does one tip them?????
    LFMAO that is what i saw too and shot coffee out my nose...burned a little
    There's a fine line between fishing....

    and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •