Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you use fuel additives?

Default How many of you use fuel additives?

I been watching a thread on the Hull Truth about fuel additives and am amazed at the number of boaters who use fuel additives. Most guys swear by them. I tried Stabilizer once in a ATV and upon finding a red residue in the gas tank the following spring never used it again.

Alaskans run there equipment hard when they have to. High revving jet outboard, long trips on the Yukon, etc. And to make matters worse most of our toys go into storage from about Sept to May.

I always carry a couple of containers of the red "Heet" just in case we pick up more water than the fuel separator can remove but other than that never used any additives and never noticed any problems with performance. Would rather spend our extra cash on gas and beer.

How about you?
    Tennessee

Default It's a Mystery

I'm pretty much of the same opinion Snowwolfe,
    hate even the thought of anything gunky anywhere near my fuel system.
    But there is one, I can't resist,

My Dad, a lifelong aircraft mechanic (retired now after a career started in USAF in 50's, and United Airlines for around 40yrs I think)
    was a believer in this stuff and I guess they used it on all service vehicles associated with United Airlines operations,(not sure about actually on the aircraft tho)

Marvel Mystery Oil, ........... I know, sounds goofy, but I have been adding it at Oil Changes, and now and then to Fuel system, I really believe it makes a difference ??

I send Oil Samples off to the Lab after all oil changes and those guys, Real Purists, don't have anything negative to say about Marvel, they might even use it on their rigs(?) and they seem to like my maintenance schedule, No sign of bad stuff through my fuel or oil.

Not Gunky, just a light oil, lubes up the entire system, keeps things flowing smoothly or, good for injectors, etc.
    I get good life out of both my Diesels and Gas engines, just retired an '84 Saab 900 that has 220,000 miles, (marvel at every chg, and about every third fuel fill, just a pint with ten gallons, that baby's still purring under the hood)

OR, maybe it's just a Psychosomatic thing ??
    I like the smell, like WD-40, it's just gotta be good for my engines, Anybody Else Use that stuff ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I use stabil for winter storage and never had any issues with it or it's results. I am not sure I would be comfortable without adding some kind of fuel stabilizer nowadays for winter storage. Also use Stabil in my snowmachimes for the summer.
    I also put in a can of Seafoam in my gas once or twice a season.
    This is on my Mercruiser inboard.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I use stabil because I apparently leave all my vehicles in storage for years at a time. So far no stuck floats and everything seems to start and run when I finally unpickled it. My boat needed a new throttle cable but that was it after 2 years, my sled fired right up. I sure hope this proves true for our cars when I get back this summer!

I don't use any additives on my toys and have had no issues despite some of my vehicles being stored for prolonged periods of time. Always carry some red heat like Snowwolf does just in case. I do normally fog my cylinders on my jetboat just because I think it can't hurt anything having a good protective coating on the clyinder walls while it sits for so long.

kodiakrain I have heard a lot of good things about Marvel Mystery Oil but have yet to use it.

I just started using Rev-X oil additive in my Ford Diesel and have to say it does not make as much noise on cold starts anymore. Then again I switched over from Ford Motorcraft oil to Amsoil at the same time so that might have made the difference.
    http://revxoil.com/applications.asp?...Truck&B=Diesel

Marvel is great stuff. I haven't used it on a regular basis for years, but it's the first thing I grab if there is a suspected problem and/or bad noises. Works incredible on a stuck lifter. I would like to get an air freshener for the truck that smells like Marvel!

Gas has so much additive and crap in it these days that I don't waste the money on fuel stabilizer anymore.

I second Marvels Mystery Oil. Before my Dad passed, he was a lifelong car mechanic. He always told me that if a car would come in running crappy, they would put some in the fuel tank and take her for a ride around town. If that didn't fix her up, then they would search out other problems. He said it solved it most of the time. I've used it for years and love it.

[QUOTE=Snowwolfe;881768]I been watching a thread on the Hull Truth about fuel additives and am amazed at the number of boaters who use fuel additives. Most guys swear by them. I tried Stabilizer once in a ATV and upon finding a red residue in the gas tank the following spring never used it again.

I/QUOTE]

Stabil is red and that is why you had the red film in your tank. I swear by this stuff and have never had a fuel problem with it.

Marvel Mystery oil makes a great cold weather hydraulic oil. We use it in our pallet jacks here and they will pump easily down to -30F.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The fuel additive I seem to use the most of these days is Cash.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I've been using sea foam or stabil for storage, doesn't cost too much, really don't know if it does anything but haven't had a single problem. I also have been using yamaha's ring free for my f90, same thing, don't know if it does anything, but??

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    The fuel additive I seem to use the most of these days is Cash.
    Yukoner,
    Tried to answer your last pm but your inbox is full. Clean it up dude
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Yukoner,
    Tried to answer your last pm but your inbox is full. Clean it up dude
    Doh! You should see my desk!
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Some of the boat owners on here with twin outboard and twin fuel tanks should start running experiments. Put the stabilizer in one side but not the other for a few years, and see if you see any difference. I have the same problem as others here. I use them on and off, but it is tough to tell if they are solving any problems, or if you would have been problem free without them anyways.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have been a professional mechanic for 22+ years, in that time I can say that the only additive which has a positive affect on a regular basis is fuel injection cleaner. Other products are either prolematical or a waste of funds. As for fuel storage I only add isopropyl (red Heet) or nothing, I tried Sta-Bil once, it actualy created a problem and residue as well. Regular maintenance is by far the best course of action in caring for any machine, there are no magic bullets.

Pretty much agree with 338, been wrenching on autos, equipment, rec toys and mostly aircraft for 40 years. Red Heet (Isopropyl Alchol) takes care of the moisture, run a tank of Chevron with Techron now and again or just buy a bottle of Techron and add it to any fuel injected rig. Howes is hard to beat in any diesel, marine or otherwise, and Marvel is outstanding in most anything, even aircraft engines, although you might want to rethink adding it to an ULSD truck or a direct injected oil injected 2 stroke in the fuel. They can be a bit temperamental with unwanted additives. If you want an air freshener that smells like Marvel, what you are smelling is WINTERGREEN OIL and yep, it does smell pretty good.

I top off the tanks for winter storage, which really is not a problem because we always top off the tanks after each trip. In the spring I put two cans of Sea Foam in each tank than change the oil after that first trip; the Sea Foam seems to dirty up the oil as it does itís thing. I also change the twist-on fuel filter after that first trip. Will add a can our two of Sea Foam during the year. Over 600 hours on outboard, about 200 hours per season with no fuel problems....slap that slab of wood!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I use Marvel Mystery oil in my Yanmar diesel because ULSD is pretty dry. An ex NC Cat mechanic that works for me made the recommendation.

I've never bad a problem with gasoline varnishing in AK and have never used any additive, except for the occasional Isopropyl alcohol for water problems. I used to haul fuel in all regions of the county and have taken fuel samples in all. I believe the refining process is different, the grade of crude is different, and additives for each refinery is different. You can tell the way fuel smells and how much clearer it is in AK as apposed to the other regions. I think fuel stabilizers in AK is a waist of money.

Chain saw, lawn mower, Honda outboards, truck, car - haven't used any additives in the last 10 years and have had no problems with any of the sorts of things that additives are supposed to help with.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast