Thread: Thinking of getting a German Shorthaired Pointer...Any advice?

Default Thinking of getting a German Shorthaired Pointer...Any advice?

After seeing a friend of mine with his GSP, and working a little with him to observe how well he acts and listens, as well as hearing stories about how well he does in the field, im really considering a commitment to one of these wonderful dogs. Ive been looking around a bit trying to find a good all around outdoors dog for a companion. Can anyone give me advice on this breed and tell me anything I really need to know? Thanks

Release Lake Trout

I had a GSP, well actually I got him when stationed in Germany so pointer was left off. He was a great dog, pointed, retreived, coursed hares, blood trailed. He was a great companion. Shorthairs can be stubborn at times and patience will be needed but that can be said of any breed. They are strong dogs. I have seen some from US breeders that seem to be very high strung and hyper. Research you breeder before you commit. Get dogs with anchestry that shows success at Versitale Gun Dog trials.

I'm currently fostering a German Shorthair that is one year old. I took him out yesterday and we didn't get any birds but he was really working. He is available for adoption thru Alaska adopt a dog. He is high strung outside but inside he calms down. If I didn't already have two dogs I would keep him. He needs some work being a year old and not being able to get a lot of attention.

I have had two German shorthaired pointers, both females. I trained them both and the second was better because I learned alot on the first and read some good books on training. They were both pretty high strung for two years then settled down. My second minded real well and hunted close. I never like to talk or yell commands when hunting, and she watched and responded with a soft whistle, lip whistle.

I liked Larry Mueller's book which even helps you pick a dog from a litter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811723046/...linkCode%3Dasn

Good luck and happy hunting. Both of mine are gone now and may get another soon. Mark

Russ: his name wasnt Dexter was it? I emailed them about a GSP named Dexter, filled out the app form, one lady said I was a good match, the other said they already had someone lookin at him.......not sure what happened but they havent emailed me back yet.....I am outside ALOT, doin everything I can to keep busy and active, so having a dog that will benefit from that and even help me find birds is a plus to me.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Russ: his name wasnt Dexter was it? I emailed them about a GSP named Dexter, filled out the app form, one lady said I was a good match, the other said they already had someone lookin at him.......not sure what happened but they havent emailed me back yet.....I am outside ALOT, doin everything I can to keep busy and active, so having a dog that will benefit from that and even help me find birds is a plus to me.
    Yeah he was Dexter. He got adopted tonight. Yeah German Shorthairs are good dogs. Good luck

Are you talking puppy or trained dog? My Setter is with a trainer in Minnesota right now that also breeds and trains short hairs. You can look at their websiteÖ. Google: Willow Creek Kennels. Their dogs seem like awesome dogs, and they can give you references and everything. I believe they just had a litter. The pups are more than likely spoken for, but who knows. They are also very good trainers. Every GSP Iíve hunted over was an awesome hunting dog. Lots of energy, and drive. I have never had one in my house, but have owned two Weimaraners (Iím told very similar personalities). One was good on birds, but about the highest strung nut job in the world. The other (which is old and still with us), is the sweetest dog I have to date (no where near high strung).

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Yeah he was Dexter. He got adopted tonight. Yeah German Shorthairs are good dogs. Good luck
    is Dexter for sure adopted because this post today says otherwise?

Maybe things didn't work out?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pet/2198664265.html

i'll be going at 3pm to check and see, I will be happy to let the forum know if he is still up for adoption.

Dexter was adopted the ad was wrong. =) congrats to whomever got him.

Thanks rhubarb I talked to the agency thru emails and filled out the adoption form and everything, and was next on the list for Dexter but.....hopefully things will work out well for him....

Release Lake Trout