Thread: In a bit of a dilemma, Have a question

Default In a bit of a dilemma, Have a question

Ok, heres my situation so bear with me . I been a guest here on the forums for several months and everything here has been very helpful . Due to unseen circumstances my house is going in foreclosure, have had trouble finding steady work, this is all in Florida by the way and I have no family left .

I'm 38 years old and only work I've really had was in the automotive industry as a shopforman/ quality control mostly for my father but that is no longer an option . I was planning on moving to Alaska when the time is right but since I have no longer anything here and no one left, I was thinking of just going ahead with it.

What kind of chances do I have and any suggestions ? keep in mind my situation is dire

Thanks for any input

well if you have a strong work ethic and a very bad sense of smell, you can make it up in time for fish processing, (great money, just not as easy as it sounds). This may / may not lead you to find winter work.

Just a start..

if your flying $600$
    if your driving $1000+(not sleeping in vehicle)

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The dealerships in the automotive work are always looking for mechanics.Anchorage ,Fairbanks, Wasilla, Kenai. Good Luck

If you have $5000 grand saved up you can afford the basics for a couple of months up here for job searching. You will still need a couple of grand to pay for the drive up.

Most mechanic jobs require certification, and you have to bring your own tools. There are a lot of mechanics up here, and there are still a lot of job openings based on a quick look at Craigslist.

As you say most your work is as the supervisor of your dad's body shop business. That might work out up here, but will probably put you onto the broom and body filler sanding projects with the 18 year olds with their GEDs.

Due to the current winter weather a couple of days to the north and west of you there should be a pretty high demand for body work for the next several months as the winter continues. There is no shortage of it up here in the winter thanks to all the folks that forget that ice is slippery. Then a month goes by and they have forgotten that snow on ice is also slippery.

If you are serious then start review craigslist and alaskahelpwanted.

I've yet to know anyone with a good work ethic that has had a problem finding work and prospering. I've seen a goodly many folks that have a poor work ethic and still seem to get by just fine.

You'll definately need to come up with some $ to tide you over, but you shouldn't have trouble finding work with some skills and a good attitude.

Check the classifieds in www.adn.com

Thanks for all the replys, I'm still trying to get the wheels rolling and not giving up . How much money would be a good amount to cover me for a few months ? also I will not have a car ( for a while at least ) already sold that . Thanks again for the suggestions and keep them coming .

edit : I seen that someone already mentioned $5,000 grand as a foundation .
    Last edited by Rumbarr; 02-03-2011 at 22:03. Reason: reply to a previous post

right now Cal worthington Ford here in Anchorage is advertising just about everywhere for people to work in their service center and body and paint shop. I can't attest to any pay or benefits or work atmosphere but it would be a start.
    http://worthingtonford.dealerconnection.com/?lang=en

although they say stop in you can always give them a call.

Update : Thanks Bill S for the info =)

I just been informed I may be able to sell the house and make a small profit, In the next few weeks I will have a realitor come over and see what kind of magic we can work. If all goes well, I can make my move to Alaska with a little moola and not be stressed out . Hopefully I can time the move when the first warm winds blow and that way I can readjust with the winter as it approaches .

Hey Rumbarr,
    I lived in Pompano Beach in the early 50's. My parents owned a motel on A1A called the Sea Cove. Back then the main street through Pompano was paved with crushed oyster shell, I don't suppose it's changed much over the last 55 years (LOL).
    Steve
    Tomorrow's a mystery, yesterday's history, today is a gift, that's why it's called the present!
    Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Just a heads up, winter ends in early April, and late April to mid May is breakup, pretty much the ugliest time of the year. Then mid may everything will magically begin to turn green seemingly overnight.

I agree with the $5k, rents are pretty high in the state, you'll need some sort of a vehicle, and food is pretty spendy. A car is pretty much essential, and you'll want to compare different areas of the state.

The economy still seems to be plugging along fairly well, so I think your odds of finding work are as good as anywhere in the US, likely better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
    Hey Rumbarr,
    I lived in Pompano Beach in the early 50's. My parents owned a motel on A1A called the Sea Cove. Back then the main street through Pompano was paved with crushed oyster shell, I don't suppose it's changed much over the last 55 years (LOL).
    Steve
    No Sea Cove anymore but there is a Lighthouse Cove thats been there at least 30 years and the crushed oyster shell is long gone, now just asphault . I'm only about a 10 min walk from A1A and I haven't been in that area in years lol .

Default catching the bus in anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    also I will not have a car ( for a while at least ) already sold that .
    Forget the Valley (Palmer/Wasilla) and instead be in Anchorage until you're on your feet. Anchorage has an excellent bus system, but the Valley's bus system is not so much.