Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Average hunting distance in SC AK?

  1. #1

    Default Average hunting distance in SC AK?

    What is the average range people take shots in this region?

  2. #2
    hap
    Guest

    Default

    I suspect the average is about as far away as a keyboard...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I suspect the average is about as far away as a keyboard...
    YUP, I try to keep all my SharpShooting within an Arm's Length...heh heh

    Seriously for myself, it is species dependant and what I strive for +/- :
    Moose 75 yards
    Black Bear 25 yards
    Grizzly Bear 75 yards
    Sheep 200 yards
    Goat 75 yards
    Caribou 200 yards
    Canines 200 yards
    Birds 15 yards
    Vermin Critters at any distance possible.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    That is a really tough question to answer because of the wide variaty of terrain. You can be walking through brush so thick you can barely see the end of your barrel and step out into an opening that is a mile across. All of the moose I have shot have been under 200 yds and most have been under 100yds. I'm guessing that the average shot at moose is probably between 50 and 125 yds. Probably most black bear are shot at very close range, 15/20 yds, as I beleive most are shot from bait stations.

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Akres' list of averages looks pretty good, though the black bear number would probably look more like 100 yards for those that hunt spot and stalk (common in the alpine and out of PWS and Homer).

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Akres' list of averages looks pretty good, though the black bear number would probably look more like 100 yards for those that hunt spot and stalk (common in the alpine and out of PWS and Homer).
    Good Call Brian!!! But lately most of mine have been with them doing the "stalk"ing along a river bank.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default

    Hey, thanks guys! Here in GA my average is 30-50 yards on white tail. I was curious on what to expect and what combo I should use.

  8. #8
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Not necessarily in SC AK, but related thread over the past 3 years has polled first shot distance for all comers.
    Interesting thread with 77 posts over 3 years: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...distance-again...
    OP says 1st 2 yrs average was 170 yds in that thread - but again, not limited to SC AK.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Not necessarily in SC AK, but related thread over the past 3 years has polled first shot distance for all comers.
    Interesting thread with 77 posts over 3 years: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...distance-again...
    OP says 1st 2 yrs average was 170 yds in that thread - but again, not limited to SC AK.
    Still great info, thanks!

  10. #10
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Last year I killed four deer all under 50 yards and one caribou at 250 yards.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •