Thread: Halibut rod build

Default Halibut rod build

100_1402.jpg100_1404.jpg

I just got done building a rod for halibut this summer. One down and 5 to go. Its fun building them thinking about using them.

Very nice! What blank did you use? How about the length and weight rating?

- Jay

Sweet itll drive you nuts waiting to get out and try them.. I built a halibut rod outta a gloomis back bouncing rod and let me tell you what fun and I catch way more fish then the rest of the boat does I fish primarily jigs and its way sensitive biggest to date is 70lbs and could handle 120 I believe doubles as a silver rod and eliminates a rod in the boat its 8'6" long...first and last are roller eyes..

It is a Gator 80lb blank. It is a 5'9'' blank so the total rod length is about 5'11''. Man you could pull a car out of the ditch with these things and before i wrapped it i bent and beat the *$*#*%# out of the blank as i wanted to make sure it was durable. It passed every test i could think of

Yeah makes you think twice about how you treat your rods when you build your own..

All,

I am looking for a recommendation for "salt water" rod building vendors/sites. I would like to wrap a few halibut and jigging sticks. Unfortunately my experience level is fairly low so a vendor that offers kits would be very helpful. I ordered a 6ft stand-up rod kit from acidrod.com, after waiting for 2-1/2 months I canceled the order. They told me every few weeks that it is all here, we will ship it tomorrow. I did some research at rodbuilding.org and came up empty handed. Looks like the fly rod builds are 95% of the site, not many AK type halibut rods.

thanks for the help,
    Dave

Check out Mudhole.com. If you go to the clearence blanks you will see some Gator close out blanks. Those are what i used. You can call them and they will help you get set up with the right grips and such. They are FANTASTIC to deal with. Great prices. Great customer service!!

kickerdrb,

I toyed with the idea of building up my own jig rod. Through some research, here are a few of the rod blanks I found that would be suitable for such a task. Prices for this range from $-$$$.

Batson Enterprises ($)

SeaMaster Pro Jig

Phenix ($$)

Synit Venom ($$$)

Jigging Master 300 or 350g ($$$)

Black Hole Cape Cod Jigging Blank ($$$)

JPR Custom ($$)

This are just some rods to consider, there are plenty of good rods available, many not on this list. Calstar and Seeker also have decent jigging blanks, so you should also check to see what they offer. They seem to be pretty popular, they just didn't have the specs I wanted in a jig rod.

I haven't looked into kits, so I can't help you there. I was just going to buy all the parts separately, I have a list of reel seats and guides that I was considering if you are interested, but take in mind I have ZERO experience building rods. Which is why I am going to be buying a built up jigging master instead of building my own.

Good luck!

kgpcr,

Those are some nice looking rods! What are the specs of the rod blanks, and what components did you use? Let us know how they work out for you, I eventually want to build up my own rods.

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Check out Mudhole.com. If you go to the clearence blanks you will see some Gator close out blanks. Those are what i used. You can call them and they will help you get set up with the right grips and such. They are FANTASTIC to deal with. Great prices. Great customer service!!
    I second Mudhole. Anglersworkshop is another good supplier, but not quite as heavy on the salt gear as Mudhole. I've ordered lots of stuff from both places and have always been plenty happy with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Thats another good place to buy from. the only 15.00 blanks they have left are 7ft blanks. If it would not be such a pain to get 7ft rods to ak i would buy a few. I did buy some of their 15.00 6ft blanks when they still had those for 15.00. Great people to work with as well. AK powder monkey gave good adivice here!

Thats another good place to buy from. the only 15.00 blanks they have left are 7ft blanks. If it would not be such a pain to get 7ft rods to ak i would buy a few. I did buy some of their 15.00 6ft blanks when they still had those for 15.00. Great people to work with as well. AK powder monkey gave good adivice here!
    The post office will ship 7' packages, or even longer, for a very reasonable price. I shipped a bunch of gear to POW last year and was surprised to find out that the post office was far less expensive than UPS. The annoying thing about shipping blanks is that the packaging weighs a lot more than the blank.

BIg_E

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    kickerdrb,

I toyed with the idea of building up my own jig rod. Through some research, here are a few of the rod blanks I found that would be suitable for such a task. Prices for this range from $-$$$.

Batson Enterprises ($)

SeaMaster Pro Jig

Phenix ($$)

Synit Venom ($$$)

Jigging Master 300 or 350g ($$$)

Black Hole Cape Cod Jigging Blank ($$$)

JPR Custom ($$)

This are just some rods to consider, there are plenty of good rods available, many not on this list. Calstar and Seeker also have decent jigging blanks, so you should also check to see what they offer. They seem to be pretty popular, they just didn't have the specs I wanted in a jig rod.

I haven't looked into kits, so I can't help you there. I was just going to buy all the parts separately, I have a list of reel seats and guides that I was considering if you are interested, but take in mind I have ZERO experience building rods. Which is why I am going to be buying a built up jigging master instead of building my own.

Good luck!
    Thanks for posting these links. They have some amazing rods for sale.

Big_E

Batson makes GREAT blanks for the money. I also built 2 10wt rods for fishing reds on the Kenai. They were built on Batson blanks. Great people to work with as well. Vaaler is right about shipping to AK. parcel post is not too bad. I live in MN and did not want to bring them on a plane so i shipped 6 rods to anchorage for 28.00. Those were completed rods.

Batson makes GREAT blanks for the money. I also built 2 10wt rods for fishing reds on the Kenai. They were built on Batson blanks. Great people to work with as well. Vaaler is right about shipping to AK. parcel post is not too bad. I live in MN and did not want to bring them on a plane so i shipped 6 rods to anchorage for 28.00. Those were completed rods.
    Those Batson blanks seem like a great value. Have you built a jig rod up with a Batson blank? I would love to hear some first hand info and their jigging blanks.

I have not built a salt jigging rod from Batson but every Batson I have built on i liked

All,

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Regards,
    Dave