Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: river boat or salt boat

Default river boat or salt boat

If you had to choose only one which would it be?

if you live near salt.. go salt if you dont..go river boat

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

what about Anchorage,Wassilla where you would have both salt and river?

Salt. First of all, my wife loves being on the ocean more than just about anything else. There are also great adventures to be had with kids on the salt including pulling shrimp pots, jigging up little flounder and greenling, and exploring the intertidal zones. I love rivers, but I can reasonably fish many rivers from shore. The same isn't true to a great degree with the ocean.

I live in FBX, I have a riverboat. I really want a saltwater boat instead... Know anyone looking for a wooly extra plus? )

Salt for us.
    Tennessee

I love both, Valdez in the spring and I swap out the prop for the jet and chase kings on the rivers around Fairbanks.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A good freind of my dad told me this when i was a young boy. An outdoor in alaska needs two boats river and ocean, two snowmachines, two airplane 180 and super cub. Then a woman with a lot of money so you have time to use them all.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

To me there is stream fishing which I do with my truck or C-180 plane (great G-Loomis flyrod, Illianama is usually great, Kustatan, super coho fishing, Kenai awsome for Reds) and then there is where I spend most of my time .... in the ocean, ocean bright salmon , ling cod, rockfish (just finished a great supper of rockfish, deep cold frozen tasting like I cought them yesterday) and of course halibut. With the 26 Osprey LC there is the possibility of filling the freezer in one trip. Great experiences on the salt for both family and friends, usually overnight and a great trip both ways ....
    Last edited by ocnfish; 01-30-2011 at 21:13. Reason: spelling as usual ....arrrrrg

You can do both with one boat - I have been running my river boat in the sound for a long time. I could never limit myself to just one area.

Here's help: Buy one for each type of fishing you do.

In reality, what Stid2677 does is a good idea. I had a boat like that once. It really didn't take that long to switch over to a pump, and I did it without a lifting jack plate-which would be a lot easier. I have a friend whose jack plate is hydrolic. So the job goes quickly.

But now I have a 20' boat for the lake, a 20' sled for the river, and a 26' for the salt.

You know what they says about the one with the most toys.

You can do both with one boat - I have been running my river boat in the sound for a long time. I could never limit myself to just one area.

do not think so .... this thing would go under in the water I have seen and easily survived, try 12' seas in gale force winds out side of the bays, if you are talking salt you need to do it right for it not to turn deadly ... have made several posts on safety ... not to be a downer but you do need to understand what you are getting into ... especially with a family :~)

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    He who dies with the most toys........still dies
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post

They have awesome estate sales!!!!
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post

do not think so .... this thing would go under in the water I have seen and easily survived, try 12' seas in gale force winds out side of the bays, if you are talking salt you need to do it right for it not to turn deadly ... have made several posts on safety ... not to be a downer but you do need to understand what you are getting into ... especially with a family :~)
    You replied to my post but I am not sure what you are saying - There is a time and place for everything - I would not go out in 12 foot seas in a river boat. I stated that both areas can be enjoyed with one boat - lots of people do it every year. I think I understand about as well as anyone what I am getting into and I do take my family.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    You replied to my post but I am not sure what you are saying - There is a time and place for everything - I would not go out in 12 foot seas in a river boat. I stated that both areas can be enjoyed with one boat - lots of people do it every year. I think I understand about as well as anyone what I am getting into and I do take my family.
    Second That.....!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

in the salt you can find yourself in conditions that you cannot handle with out the right equipment ... I have seen these conditions in passage cannel and 50 mph wind in whittier harbor. respect the planet and survive.
    Last edited by ocnfish; 01-30-2011 at 22:16. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    in the salt you can find yourself in conditions that you cannot handle with out the right equipment ... I have seen these conditions in passage cannel and 50 mph wind in whittier harbor. respect the planet and survive.
    I take my river boat out to PWS every year. I too have seen some nasty weather, I just don't go out in it. When the weather gets nasty I stay put until it clears if I get caught in it. Most importantly is I avoid bad weather and don't venture out when it is forecast to be bad. I also have an exposure suit for each soul on board, ditch bag, PLB, hand held VHF, sat phone ect... PWS will kill you for sure when it gets nasty. But what a wonderful day when it is calm and the sun is shining. Lots of places to hide from most winds and open water stretches can be avoided in many cases.

PS, I have been in seas 12 plus and don't want to be in that kind of seas in any recreational vessel.
    Founding Member

I think you need to decide on how much time you are going to spend in each area. How many people are you going to take. Most of the good river boats can do PrinceWilliam Sound when the weather is OK. You just have to choose your days. Keep and eye on Craislist for good deals.

My wooly is fine in the Valdez area, but I don't have a prop foot for it. The no V in the front makes the 2-3foot seas a bit of a rough ride. I'm still learning a lot. I've had it out to Jack's bay so far and then trolling for silvers. But on a nice day. I guess I could go farther. Just need to have the right timing/luck. STID2677, you mind if I buy you coffee or dinner some time and pick your brain a little please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast