Thread: Kids' First Trapped Furbearer!

Default Kids' First Trapped Furbearer!

Well, about 2 weeks ago we were at the annual 4-H rally day event and the kids and I were talking with a fellow about Ermine. He told us how to make an ermine trap box and how easy they were for kids to use. So we went home and assembled two (one for each) and got them set out a couple days later once my son was able to find a grouse to shoot so we had the guts for bait. They were toopers going out at least every other day and checking the traps even if it ment going out with head lamps and minus degree weather. Finally we decided that this would be the day we would pull the traps with the season coming to an end tomorrow and to our great joy they finally became true trappers with the success of their first Ermine! The excitment that they both had made this Papas chest burst with pride. There's just something about being out hunting/fishing/trapping/ or whatever outdoor adventure that kids make so much more special...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Ermine.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	45120

Supporting Member

Congratulations to the two new "trappers" and good job to you for taking the kids out! Next step will be to sign them up in a trapping organization so they can receive a magazine and help support what we all love.

great job guys!!!

Congrats to your youngsters. I bet they were floored when they opened that box!
    If we had more guys like you, the world would be a better place. Thanks for sharing.

Great job and congrats to the kids!!!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Ohhhhh nooooo.............you've created monsters! It's only the beginning! Your life will change in ways you never expected. So will your bank account!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

That's one nice photo of your kids. Neat that you took the time and they showed the interest to get out and do that. Don't know if you've ever read the Alaska Trapper's Magazine, but the photo might be a nice addition. Contact the editor, Nicole Lockwood. I know she is always looking for new material, especially articles. The organization has a website and is on Facebook too.
    Thanks for sharing and I hope to see this photo and a short article one more time,
    ARR

I know them two Trappers. Good job there Buddy.

Can you give us some details or additional pictures of your trap set up for Ermine? Looks like you have a good technique/setup.

I made the box traps from the following youtube link. They work great and I had less than $10.00 in each set up. The kids are pumped to make several for next year since they'll have a chance to trap the full season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epykoVZ_ufU

Thanks again to all for the kind words!

Good job and good luck next season!