Thread: Fly-Outs for Silvers

Default Fly-Outs for Silvers

Hi Guys,
    My son and I are heading to Kenai Peninsula for some salmon/rainbow fishing during the last week of August 2011. We have drifted the Upper and Middle for rainbows before and had a blast. This time, we thought we would do a couple of flyouts from Soldotna area for silvers. Do you guys have any suggestions? We have never done flyouts before, so are really looking forward to it. In fact, any suggestions or comments on the trip would be welcomed.

ive heard of silver salmon creek. looks nice but too expensive for me.

My wife and I did a flyout silver trip to big river lakes (wolverine creek) a couple years ago with High Adventure Air. We had a really great trip, with some phenominal scenery. Really nice people too, oh yea plenty of fish!!!!

Have fun

We have flown out a few times with Natron Air in Soldotna. Silver Salmon Creek, Shelter creek. Great flying service. Tim is a great pilot. Fun trips. We were fortunate th

Tim with Natron Air in Soldotna is a great pilot. We have flown out with him a few times. Shelter creek, Silver Salmon creek. It is a great time. You can still run into people. There are a lot of flyout services. talk to Tim. Your timing should be perfect.. have a great trip

Thanks for your replies.
    I have heard about the Kustatan and the Chuitna rivers with High Adventure. Do you know anything about these rivers?

air.bmp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have heard about the Kustatan and the Chuitna rivers with High Adventure. Do you know anything about these rivers?
    I went to Big River Lake with High Adventure Air. They have been featured on North to Alaska with Larry Csonka fishing the kustatan as well. They do a great job. Ask for Jeremy to be your guide. He'll do whatever he can to get you on fish.

http://highadventureair.com/me.jpg

My wife & I did a trip with Alaska West Air last August. They fly out of Nikiski. We went to Wolverine Lake for some nice silvers. You can also target sockeye if you want. Not cheap, but also not as expensive as I have seen others advertising. We had planned to give them a call again this year for a trip, but decided to do a shrimp / fishing charter out of Whittier instead.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

living in Alaska, it's hard to think of flying out to get silvers...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I agree with Silver Salmon creek and Shelter creek. In late August, you'll find coho, chum and pink salmon. However, check the tides for the dates you'll be going. Both creeks are really affected by high tides. If it's a really high tide, there won't be much room to fish. Plus you'll be fighting the sea lions for the fish. Don't be surprised if the bears are more than a little "friendly". They're thick in that area in August. They'll be doing the same thing as you. Bring bear spray.

Good info, but raises questions. If the tides are so important, how can I book so far in advance? I'm not familiar with the tides, is it something I can look at now? Are all his trips without guides? Could this be a problem with rookies, or is it just a matter of fishing like we always do? Are the rivers close by, or do they pick one out and drop you there? We are definitely looking forward to some remote fishing without have dozens of other fisherman nearby.
    I appreciate all of your comments.
    Dolly

Tides are only relevant if you're fishing Kustatan. That's bank fishing.

This is one of our favorite fdriends.... all our clients are friends! And don't let him fool you, he is quite the fisherman.
    ALWAYS gets his limits!!!!! Guides love em'.

Susan, the Dolly is me, George Foster. See you in August. So we don't have to worry about tides, only on the Kustatan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
    Thanks for your replies.
    I think I'm getting river names screwed up. Is there a Chuitna River and a Chuit River? Which one flows into Bristol Bay, and which one is better? Thanks

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

The chuitna is the chuit its on the west sid of cook inlet buy baluga.
    It is a good place for kings and silvers I have guided over there for years. They closed it for kings last year. The fishing can be great but when it rains alot it dont take to much to get blown out. When its real hot and sunny the silver fishing is best early and late in the day.
    I have a tent camp on the kustatan now. Its above the slew I have jet boats to get up and down the river depending on the tide.
    Talon air dose all the flying . http://www.tcguideservice.com/fishcamp/ Fish alaska magazine has a story on it in this month issue.