Thread: Pike Fishing a remote lake for a fishing newbie

Default Pike Fishing a remote lake for a fishing newbie

Being dropped off this fall by 40 Mile Air on a lake for a Moose Hunt. I'm told there is pike in the lake.

Couple things about me:
    - Haven't fished in 15 years besides a few charters were I got handed a rod and told to reel in the fish
    - Don't have any fishing gear, not looking to spend more than $100-$150 on fishing gear
    - Would like to fish the lake
    - flying in on a 185 so weight is not an issue

Do I have a chance in hell at catching a fish? Should I even try it? If I should what should I buy? On these lakes do you catch 20 a day or should I be happy to catch 1?

First thing is drop off Moose hunt with 40 mile air covers a lot of places :-). I would visit : http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/ contact the area fishing bio dude or gal, double check the season limits and then adjust accordingly for fishing.

You can get away with a an ugly stick combo for 60 bucks to chase your fish. Purchase some standard pike stuff such as spoons, crank baits etc.... and try it. Without being able to reach the hot spots around the lake for that time of year might just be a casting to weeds.

Lakes tend to start turning in the fall just like the spring i.e. the Thermal-cline changes which puts fishing such as trout and pike back toward shore.

Good Luck!

Spinning rod and reel, 15 # test. Buy lots of wire leaders. Use floating rapalas, daredevils and weedless frogs. Look for weeds and lillypads in shallow water. If they are there they will bite, Pike aren't hard to catch.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks guys.

So what's a good day pike fishing, 1 fish or 50 fish? Will I disturb the moose?

BlueMoose, I saw enough of your comments on moose hunting that I'll be PM'ing you sooner or later! You have some great advice out there. Both of you thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by mbcijim View Post
    Thanks guys.

So what's a good day pike fishing, 1 fish or 50 fish? Will I disturb the moose?

BlueMoose, I saw enough of your comments on moose hunting that I'll be PM'ing you sooner or later! You have some great advice out there. Both of you thanks for the advice!
    A "good" day is > dozen. Depending on where you are, 30-50 a day is not uncommon at all.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Don't forget to pack the Johnson's Silver Minnow in gold/silver, and keep a fine file on you to sharpen the hooks right out of the package.
    2nd the weedless frogs (We use Cabela's Mad Tommy frogs; work pretty well).
    Jim
    Also Mister Twister makes a spinner that utilizes a black jig tail (black seemed to work well) to help make it weedless they worked decent but the plastic jig tails take a beating by the toothy critters.

Make sure you take plenty of weedless gear. I use rubber worms and slugo's rigged weedless. They are inexpensive and you can pack quite a few without adding alot of additionall weight . Spinnerbaits and buzz baits can cover alot of water fast and in the fall of the year the pike are extremely aggresive. I have actually seen then jump out of the water to take a lure while it is still in the air. If wieght is not an issue you might want to consider packing a float tube with you as well. If the weeds are think you might find it difficult fishing from the bank.

6-8 inch jointed rabbit leach fly. Black/white/black or black/orange/black. Get it wet, then you can cast it a decent distance. 12 pound test as a minimum.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

The orange colored krocodiles with the black slashes are a great producer on interior lakes as well as everything else previously mentioned. I second the float tube that will greatly improve your chances of getting on pike. No you will not disturb the moose and it will help pass the slow times of the day and give you something else to eat.

Topwater stuff is super fun... stickbaits, poppers, etc. I've also done well on soft plastic. Herring isn't too bad as well. Calling from lakes isn't a bad idea, your call will carry a long ways. I've called in a moose or two fishing in the fall...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.