Thread: any tips for someone going to Bettles for the Summer season?

Default any tips for someone going to Bettles for the Summer season?

I Might be working up in Bettles this summer season for the first time and I'm looking for advice in preparing for being up there for 5 to 6 months. Also what should I expect for living up there in the summer. I have some ideas but would like to hear more.

thanks.

Matt B.

Bug Dope, lots and lots of bug dope. And a mosquito net. And maybe a shotgun to bring down the real big mosquito's.

you think a 12 ga will do?

Quote Originally Posted by chippewa3 View Post
    you think a 12 ga will do?
    Yes, I suggest #9 shot. Alaska law requires you salvage all editable meat.

Its going to be hot, maybe not midwest hot, but it will be close. It will be smoky from the forest fires depending on where they are and the wind direction. There will be a lot of day light so bring something to make it dark for your eyes unless you are already a heavy sleeper.
    Bring twice the number of books to read than what you think you will need.
    Bring a camera. Bring Binocs. Make sure for any electronics you have rechargable batteries rather than AA/AAA. Get a solar charger if you can afford one (REI has them with adapters). Make sure it all works before you pack it.
    Bring two head nets. Make sure they have dark/black mesh and not the clear/gray mesh. In the sunshine the clear/gray stuff blinds you just like a bug and dust covered windshield.
    Bring long sleeve shirts that work well in hot weather. Two layers keep the bigger bugs from making it through to your skin.
    Bring tank tops or regular t-shirts.
    Bring shorts. Its gets hot in July.
    Bring a good hot weather rain gear set up.
    Bring sun screen. Sun screen with bug dope is good.
    Bring a hat with a bill, or a full brim. It helps keep the net off your face and neck.
    Get to know one of the locals and borrow a canoe to drift down to old bettles. Don't forget your camera. Arrange for a boat ride back up river unless the canoe has a motor.
    If you live on meds bring extra. Goes for anything you need OTC on a regular basis.
    Bring some kind of treat or snack that you know you can ration for a few months. Helps make friends and eases the pain of being outside humanity (if you love humanity that is).

thanks everybody.

and thanks AK Ray, I'll try and get all that stuff before I go.

Matt B.