The thread about the "500 S&W Derringer" reminded me of the gun I want for personal defense (in the woods, at least).

The old double pistols from the late 1800s favored by professional hunter in Africa and India for last-ditch protection against large, dangerous game, known as "Howdah" pistols, seem to me to be ideal for holster-carried defense against large, dangerous American game.

Picture a picture a 30 to 40 oz double-barreled over/under pistol chambered for 500 S&W Magnum and overall length of 10-12" and with a decent grip, double-action only trigger with as smooth an action as possible and the striker alternating between upper and lower barrels automatically.

With the over/under configuration, it would be fairly flat in a holster, and how often do you get time for more than two shots in a defensive situation anyway?

Upper barrel would likely be the one to regulate to the sights. The lower barrel would be for closer-in shots, so regulating the second barrel would not be the expensive proposition it was on the old Double Rifles. The owner could reverse the priority if desired, though, simply by adjusting the sights.

So, what do you think? Hare-brained scheme or viable option?

I wonder what the price point would have to be to sell between 500 to 1000 units in the first year of production, and if that would cover the cost of production. Target market, of course would be hikers, hunters, fishers and workers anywhere bears roam. And, of course, the occasional novelty collector.

Lost Sheep