Thread: fishing boat recommendation

Question fishing boat recommendation

I'm looking for a good all around boat to fish saltwater in the Homer area. Would like something in the 20-25 ft size with a hardtop cabin and a small cuddy that's versatile but can be trailored fairly easily. Any suggestions??

There are many aluminum boats that fit the bill, but 20-25' is a pretty broad range. Figure out your budget as the bigger boats cost more initially and suck alot more fuel. If you need the extra space and want a smoother ride in the chop the bigger boats have an advantage, but at a price.

Typically cabin cruisers start about 22', 20' and under tend to be open skiffs.

Default Go Harbercraft or Almar

What a huge question.... I'm sure there are many boats to choose from that will work fine in Homer. I'll just give ya my opinion as to the boats I have some experience with.

I like Harbercraft's Hull design. Harbercraft came out with a 20 ' Discovery Hardtop this year and I'm sure it'd work great in Homer.

You can check it out at

http://www.harbercraft.com/recreatio...shar-intro.htm

In a prior job I drove an Almar RAIV, which is an awesome boat! The RAIV is very sea worthy.... but kinda pricey.... The Sounder is also a solid sea worthy boat but not near as cool as the RAIV.

You can check them out at

http://www.almarboats.com/2004/content/raiv.php

What I suggest you do is visit the docks at Seward and Homer several different times and find something you like and ask a lot of questions. Boaters are usually very honest people and they will tell you what they love about there boats as well as what they do not.
    Any boat approaching 25 feet with a cabin is not going to be towed easily by a 1/2 ton pickup. Whatever your vehicle tow rating is figure it will only handle 2/3rds of the rating.
    Tennessee

go big. I love my hard top 26 hewes sea runner. Twin 115. Go to deweys and check out there line.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My neighbor has the 26' sea-runner with twin 150's, he really likes it, so do I.

Default boat

The 26` Hewescraft towes really well. My 26` Osprey challenges my F250 pick em up truck. I`d have no issue towing my Hewescraft to Homer but just flat out forget the Osprey. That stays close by in Whittier.

Depends on how many days on the water you'll spend, how many people on the boat, and your $$$$$. I favor smaller boats as I'm cheap and we're not in AK as much as I'd like to; to warrant the bigger $$$$$. Go outboard(s), as I/O's require maintenance and are expensive to fix, plus outdrives and the u-joints are stressed when running them in an "up" angle for extended periods of time.
    Jim

Thanks,
    Those Harbercraft 2425 with a weekender package look sweet. Probably be sticker shocked at the price,(ha) but I'll check it out at AK mining.
    emo

Thanks guys,
    Great suggestions. Like the looks of the Hewescraft also. Now the challenge will be to find something within the $$$ and convince the boss that " We really need this honey" -ha Later for now
    emo

Just buy it and bring it home with a dozen roses. She will forgive you
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK