Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birchwood Shooting Range Board Meeting

Default Birchwood Shooting Range Board Meeting

I really enjoy Birchwood shooting range along with my wife and the people I meet out there. Ive been there twice now this year to do sight-ins and just fire off some brass. But now they raised their prices from $10 bucks to $20 bucks and it has made a lot of people upset that shoot there. Some people cant justify the membership fees if they don't shoot very often, and its really hard to bring the family out for a days shooting, because they are now charging $20 bucks a person, when it was $20 bucks a couple. I spoke with one of the managers about the price increase and he said it was due to higher oil prices, inflation, yada yada. I told him that a $2-3 dollar increase I could understand, but 10 bucks??!!! There is a board meeting Monday Jan 31st at 630pm at the range on the shotgun side. The manager said all are welcomed to attend to it. I am going to try to go and see why the increase is so high. A lot of the shooters are pretty upset about this, and if they want to shoot at affordable prices I think their 2 cents should be voiced. Anyone got some inside details why the prices are so high?
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Not really sure why cost to shoot for a day doubled instead of just raised a few bucks other than the reasons they have stated. Everything has gone up from fuel costs, electric, insurance, ect...ect... For myself, I just figured it was worth spending the money for the EPM membership for me and another for my 20 yr old son, ouch! We will get more than our moneys worth of shooting though as well as opportunities to meet other shooters. I figure it is money well spent for quality family time. Not taking sides on the increase, just figure it is what it is and we either pay up to shoot or find onother option.

I'm an EPM myself but had a co-worker tell me about the price increase last week. My stance on the price increase is this: Fuel costs have been going up for the last 4 or 5 years. I can see an increase of $2--$5 over that period and how it would be justified. (Then again, am I not the one burning fuel to get there? They run dozers there once a year and plow through the winter.) I would have a hard time swallowing a 100% increase in rates. I may find myself at that meeting on the 31st just to see what is said.

Get the facts.
    Before you attend the meeting, go to Guidestar.org, http://www2.guidestar.org/Home.aspx, and review their IRS form 990's. Years 2006 through 2008 are available online, but you will need to register with Guidestar (free) in order to view them. Guidestars terms of registration prohibit reposting.
    Organizations are also required to make their 3 most recent form 990's available to the public upon request at the nonprofit's principal office. This must be provided the day of the request.

All the numbers are there for you to review.... such payroll.

They haven't raised their price in 10 years. I personally won't be complaining. It's gotten much too busy on the weekends. I kinda hope the price increase will divert the yabbos elsewhere.

The explaination is available in the AK Hometown Forum at ar15.com. I don't want to cut and paste somebody else's words, but is is there for anybody to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    The explaination is available in the AK Hometown Forum at ar15.com. I don't want to cut and paste somebody else's words, but is is there for anybody to see.
    Thanks Tyrex. Just read the posting, got some good info in it. Still gonna try to make it to the meeting.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm an EPM member, and if I wasn't I wouldn't pay $20.00 to shoot there.

Everyone has increased costs, but IMO, anyone who knows what they're doin, wouldn't double the price all at once.

They may be moving towards a Member Only range, and keeping the general public OUT. Who knows?

There are other ranges, and others to be built, hopefully. That's probably where our efforts should go. More places to shoot.

There is the Upper Susitna Shooters Association, Range. They're further away, but I doubt they charge $20.00

http://susitnashooters.org/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There are other ranges, and others to be built, hopefully. That's probably where our efforts should go. More places to shoot. [QUOTE]

I agree with you there Smitty. I like Birchwood and think their EPM membership is a decent deal for a guy who shoots at least a dozen or more times per year. I am of the opinion that a State as LARGE as Alaska could benefit from having several more shooting ranges available to the public, especially so around the Anchorage area where supposedly 2/3 of the entire State population resides. I hate shooting at any range when it is crowded as I am too busy worrying about negligent shooters, especially so when my family is with me. A few more ranges would help reduce the crowds some and add some competition for paying customers for the few ranges we have.

I just moved back up from AZ, Flagstaff area, and had at least 4 different places to shoot there, all free on US Forrest Service land. Never have understood why there are not places open to shooting on Federal land up here as there are plenty of good back stops (mountains) to stop bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I just moved back up from AZ, Flagstaff area, and had at least 4 different places to shoot there, all free on US Forrest Service land. Never have understood why there are not places open to shooting on Federal land up here as there are plenty of good back stops (mountains) to stop bullets?
    I've never understood it either. Both the State, and Federal Gov'ts. want to control things to the extent that they often block access, and any place you can even pull off the road, is often blocked by huge rocks or they dig a deep ditch.

They especially don't like shooting.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've never understood it either. Both the State, and Federal Gov'ts. want to control things to the extent that they often block access, and any place you can even pull off the road, is often blocked by huge rocks or they dig a deep ditch.

They especially don't like shooting.

Smitty of the North
    I blocked my property off from public shooters as they are pigs and trash any good shooting spot if it is not supervised.

$20.00 bucks per day of shooting, most of the whiners will pay that, plus some, to watch some idiots shoot guns on a movie screen for 1.5 hours......

Anyway, with the price of and a days of shooting $20.00 a drop in the bucket of cost of shooting!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    I blocked my property off from public shooters as they are pigs and trash any good shooting spot if it is not supervised.

$20.00 bucks per day of shooting, most of the whiners will pay that, plus some, to watch some idiots shoot guns on a movie screen for 1.5 hours......

Anyway, with the price of and a days of shooting $20.00 a drop in the bucket of cost of shooting!!!!
    Who's talking about Private Land? You, I guess.

More Public Land could be open to the Public. There's certainly enuff of it, but not enough access, close enuff.

$20.00 a day is more than a drop in the bucket to me, and I'm convinced it will result in less use of the range, and more attempts to shoot elsewhere, including on Private Land such as yours.

I think your attitude doesn't serve you well.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I read the thread at AR15.com and it appears that the price jump isn't from $10 to $20. The guy that was running the rifle & pistol should have been charging $15 for years not $10. The on-the-books increase is $5. To the public the jump is $10. Also it seems that $10 of the fee is some sort of temporary membership fee for insurance reasons. If you go with your family, you only pay the $10 then $10 for each family member. If you and a buddy, not related, go then it's $10+$10 for each of you. This is just what I got from reading the AR15.com posts, so it may be totally screwed up. Call Birchwood.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

My point was that people treat public land worse......trash, shotshell, brass, tvs, glass whatever in every shooting spot availble to general public.

My attitude suits me perfect.....many shooters are pigs, and many are whiners that want everything firearms related subsidized, certainly less then its worth or free.....

I don't mind paying $20.00 for a safe clean place to shoot..holy crap couple of bricks of 22lr cost way more then that.......

Well look at all the trash at Jims creek and the brass/shells that lay all over the place. There was one place I went up near Wasilla, at an old Nike site?? Had some old bunkers and you can shoot there, but it was in terrible shape with trash, glass, brass, etc. Even on the Buffalo Mine Rd trails I have ridden I have seen sofas, beds, heck one time I even saw an old HP laptop shot up.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I read the thread at AR15.com and it appears that the price jump isn't from $10 to $20. The guy that was running the rifle & pistol should have been charging $15 for years not $10. The on-the-books increase is $5. To the public the jump is $10. Also it seems that $10 of the fee is some sort of temporary membership fee for insurance reasons. If you go with your family, you only pay the $10 then $10 for each family member. If you and a buddy, not related, go then it's $10+$10 for each of you. This is just what I got from reading the AR15.com posts, so it may be totally screwed up. Call Birchwood.
    It sounds like the Obama Administrationl.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

My point was that people treat public land worse......trash, shotshell, brass, tvs, glass whatever in every shooting spot availble to general public.

My attitude suits me perfect.....many shooters are pigs, and many are whiners that want everything firearms related subsidized, certainly less then its worth or free.....

I don't mind paying $20.00 for a safe clean place to shoot..holy crap couple of bricks of 22lr cost way more then that.......
    You're welcome to your attitude. I'm sure you have reason for it. I'm just suggesting that it's a short-sighted one.

I'm notta "Pig", and I don't trash land, and I don't know anyone, who does. I've seen places trashed, but I'm sure there are people who will clean it up voluntarily if given the chance, so they can still shoot there.

Trashing is agin the law, and the law wasn't enforced. The powers that be, would rather close things off, than enforce the law.

$20.00 is wayyyy too much, especially when there is Public Land available, where shooting could be allowed, and isn't.

What next? Are they gonna close ALL the Pull-outs along the highways because people leave TP, on top of the ground? PROBLEE, it's just a matter of time.

If we keep accepting stuff like this, there will be a blanket ban of shooting everywhere.

This attitude, or mindset, of protecting land from people at the expense of our being able to use it, is IMO, "Stupidity elevated to an Art". Look how far things have gone, with protecting Animals, if you want an example.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Hmm... no problem here as it's your land.

The public land that I used to shoot at all got closed due to unsafe shooting (back toward the road Doh!) and mega trash left behind. This is "Alaska" and the myth of what that means has caused folks to move up here that have no respect for anybody else or their land, public or private. These folks often come across at the very ones who trash their own property and won't clean it up.

Here is a pic from about 1983 of me shooting at the "spotless" informal range known as Firecracker Lake (closed a few years later by the State)

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
    Hmm... no problem here as it's your land.

The public land that I used to shoot at all got closed due to unsafe shooting (back toward the road Doh!) and mega trash left behind. This is "Alaska" and the myth of what that means has caused folks to move up here that have no respect for anybody else or their land, public or private. These folks often come across at the very ones who trash their own property and won't clean it up.

Here is a pic from about 1983 of me shooting at the "spotless" informal range known as Firecracker Lake (closed a few years later by the State)

Cheers,

David
    AHHH, them were the good old days.

Plenty of interesting targets to shoot at.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

You see targets. I see junk.

There is the Upper Susitna Shooters Association, Range. They're further away, but I doubt they charge $20.00
    They don't charge $20. They charge, I believe, $10 for non members. However, you get what you pay for.... a range that is not open very often during the week and not open at all in the winter. I hope to someday have enough time to volunteer to help out, but the reality is $20 isn't much to pay for what Birchwood offers.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast