Thread: wood river fly in

Default wood river fly in

i am looking at the wood river for a drop camp. a distant friend hunted there last year and had a good hunt seeing lots of bulls. i have never done a drop camp hunt like this but lots of self guided elk hunts and back pack hunts. I have a friend who will be going with me. we have the gear but will need a charter flight and how do ya pick a area?
    is this a good area to start my search?
    any other areas you would recomend?
    is the wood float hunted heavily?

Which Wood river, which GMU ?

I would start with the friend. Find out what charter service he used. If he lives in the lower 48 - make a list of questions - how much for the r/t from home, dates hunted, did he use a raft - if so where did he rent it, was his trip guided, outfitted or did he supply all his own gear? Did he shoot his moose early or late during the hunt. Lots of questions to ask of him and if he's like most hunters, probably willing to talk - esp about his "successes".
    There are a t least a couple "Wood Rivers" that support a moose population, you need to find out which he hunted - at least find out what town he took the air taxi from.

Hi Slim23,
    I will have a super cub at our home base here in Fairbanks, for part of the season. I could fly you out to the wood river. If you are interested you can check out my web site at www.bushwackerair.com
    thanks
    Jeff Kruse

he is just a guy i met at a bowfishing tourney. he said it was unit 20. ( in spending the day looking over the alaska g&f site wich is not a easy site to get info off of) that looks like south of fairbanks?? it was a guided hunt that they flew into. no float trip.
    I have talked to a friend who is trying to get me a number for the guy.
    is there any other areas that you would recomend?
    I would really like to stay away from a 50" or 4 brow area as i will be bowhunting and a 40" moose will make me estatic while my friend will be rifle hunting.
    I went to alaska on a coastal black bear hunt this spring and had a great hunt and alaska has got into my blood

Quote Originally Posted by slim23 View Post
    he is just a guy i met at a bowfishing tourney. he said it was unit 20. ( in spending the day looking over the alaska g&f site wich is not a easy site to get info off of) that looks like south of fairbanks?? it was a guided hunt that they flew into. no float trip.
    I have talked to a friend who is trying to get me a number for the guy.
    is there any other areas that you would recomend?

I would really like to stay away from a 50" or 4 brow area as i will be bowhunting and a 40" moose will make me estatic while my friend will be rifle hunting.
    I went to alaska on a coastal black bear hunt this spring and had a great hunt and alaska has got into my blood
    The Wood river in 20A is a 50 inch 4 browtine area and gets a lot of pressure. Wrights Air Service in Fairbanks does drop camps into the Wood river drainage.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

talked to the friend who gave me the outfitters number. he will do a drop camp in same area for $5000 each. he provides tent and gear( everthing but sleeping bag) fly you in and out and any game and transport from wasilla and transport of game to wasilla or fairbanks. sounds high to me compared to chartering a plane and providing own gear?
    if the area is hunted by outfitters will others air charters drop you in a "guides" area? or is there a gentlemans agreement to stay away from there camps?

A transporter out of Delta will only drop a certain number of people in that stretch of the Alaska range each season. So yes some try to preserve the resources but there are always those that will stack folks up too.

Hello Mod Elan...

talked to the friend who gave me the outfitters number. he will do a drop camp in same area for $5000 each. he provides tent and gear( everthing but sleeping bag) fly you in and out and any game and transport from wasilla and transport of game to wasilla or fairbanks. sounds high to me compared to chartering a plane and providing own gear?
    if the area is hunted by outfitters will others air charters drop you in a "guides" area? or is there a gentlemans agreement to stay away from there camps?
    $5k per person for a drop hunt in GMU20A..... insane. INSANE !

Are the days of chartering a small plane by the hour gone ?

[QUOTE=whitepalm;882130]Just depends on who you call right? Been that way for awhile I think, "outfitter" = $$$. For that sort of money you could do a lot more AND not see a soul.[/QU

For that kind of money, man I could do some serious "dream" hunts in this state.

For less than 5k each you could go Kotz and have a much more remote hunt. Could even hunt Caribou too.

Founding Member

I surely wouldn't pay $5,000 for a drop hunt! That is insane!

I am interested in transporters in kotz? Sp. Also any other suggestions? Does a guy just need to get away from anchorage and fairbanks to start looking for areas im guessin?
    im open to suggestions. $5000 sounded high to me also. Most charters seem to run $2500 and some add $500-900 per moose fly out.

I am interested in transporters in kotz? Sp. Also any other suggestions? Does a guy just need to get away from anchorage and fairbanks to start looking for areas im guessin?
    im open to suggestions. $5000 sounded high to me also. Most charters seem to run $2500 and some add $500-900 per moose fly out.
    Northwestern Aviation in Kotz is a quality transporter. I was highly satisfied with their service. Better call quick, all the good ones book up fast.

The further you get from population centers the better your chances at game.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Northwestern Aviation in Kotz is a quality transporter. I was highly satisfied with their service. Better call quick, all the good ones book up fast.

The further you get from population centers the better your chances at game.

Steve
    Slim is a non res according to his info. He cannot hunt Unit 23 (kotz) for moose without a draw permit.

Not every area "far" from pop centers has good game numbers. There are also good areas close to pop centers, one just has to work to get there.
    Currently, unit 18 along the Yukon R. has very good moose numbers. Might cost a bit more to get there tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well i got a lot more research to do now. I am a lineman n we're in the heart of a ice storm workin. Just gettin on here through my phone while waiting on the next job. Thanks for all the info and help.
    Where is population estimates at on the game n fish site? Looked but i haven't found it yet