Thread: anybody know anything about Brooks Range Aviation?

Default anybody know anything about Brooks Range Aviation?

hello, I was thinking of working up there for the summer to get some experience working for a float/wheel operator in Alaska. The Owner of the place has contacted me and sounded interested in hiring me as a dockhand/ground crew person (I don't have enough float time or alaska time to be a pilot yet). I realize it is pretty remote up in Bettles but I wanted to hear some feed back on the people and company up there. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chippewa3 View Post
    hello, I was thinking of working up there for the summer to get some experience working for a float/wheel operator in Alaska. The Owner of the place has contacted me and sounded interested in hiring me as a dockhand/ground crew person (I don't have enough float time or alaska time to be a pilot yet). I realize it is pretty remote up in Bettles but I wanted to hear some feed back on the people and company up there. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
    It's an historic site, to begin with. Great people, and exposure to all sorts of government and private enterprise clients and customers. The owner seems to be a good guy, and the work would certainly be interesting. My recommendation is to give it a try. I'm sure you'll want to return next year . . . . .

I see a lot of Jay and Judy during the summer. They are great folks and treat their people really well. You'll like working for them.
    Louis Knapp

thanks everybody for taking the time to address this post.

maybe I'll see ya up there this summer. it'll be a good learning experience on how a 135 operation works up there.

I'll try and post as much as I can up there too.

Matt B.

what's the name of the outfit. I may swing by this summer.

RR

Brooks Range Aviation. is the name.

I've flown with Brooks Range Aviation and was impressed. One thing I liked is that they actually answer the phone and get back to you. They will also listen to what you say and try to work with you.

Great people, Judy and Jay.
    Saved our hunt this year.
    Highly regarded by more experienced friends.

I'm not familiar with the area or any of the operators in Bettles, but here's a video of flying in the area.

Nice video. thanks

Heard nothing but good things and have talked with them myself about upcoming floats on the Alatna and Kobuk.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I did a flyout with BRA two seasons ago. Jay and Judy were very professional and good to work with. They responded quickly to emails and phone calls and made sure to take care of their clients. They had two pilots up from Minnesota working for them that year who both said they were enjoying their time with BRA and working in AK.

Bettles isn't the most remote place in Alaska but definately isn't a hub and some good thought should be put into whether the location is right for you. The village consisted of Brooks Range Aviation, Bettles Lodge/Air, the National Park Service station and a couple dozen summer locals. Definatley nothing to do in the village except work and enjoy the outdoors. I was suprised by the amount of traveler that actually go through Bettles. Apparently there is a big rock climbing area and some eco tours that are serviced through Bettles. Then of course the rafters and hunters.

Plan on becoming a jack of all trades. When we were there the pilots were digging a waterline over to one of the cabins when they weren't out flying. I think they enjoyed it though, it kept them busy.

The Brooks Range is an awesome place I could see myself spending a summer in Bettles, especially if it meant I would get to do some flying over the range.