Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got Information on the New Halibut Regulations for 2011?

Default Has anyone got Information on the New Halibut Regulations for 2011?

I caught a brief blurb on the Friday nite Channel 2 news and I thought that I heard that the FEDS were going to cut cut back on Halibut sports fishing limit to one fish and add a maximun size limit of 37" size limit down here in South East Zone C-2. Does any one have any clarification?
    cdcinak

The IPHC wants to make it 1 fish under 37" South East but that will have to be decided by the National Fisheries. The North Council meets next week but do not know if they will do any thing with it.

So captain, that's not 'set' yet? From the e-mails I got from the charter associations it seemed a done deal (I think it sucks). SO there is a chance it may not happen? I guess I don't know the system for who makes what rules. There is a thread under the fisheries management section that makes is sound like a done deal as well. I hope it doesn't happen for all the charters sake, it would hurt a lot of folks.

The IPHC can only tell the US and Canada how much they can catch not who's catching. A couple of years back they tried to put a 1 fish limit and it got over turned. The next year the National Fisheries put a 1 fish limit in an it stuck. The National Fisheries is the one that put the Halibut Limited Entry permits out. The North Council makes a suggestion but it has to be approve by the National Fisheries. Too much goverment involved. The National Fisheries could approve we will just have to wait and see. Area 3A could go to 1 fish over 32 inches and 1 fish under 32 inches. I am like you all I can do is sit back and watch.

NPFMC and NMFS will rubber stamp IPHC recommendation,,,It's one big conspiracy against sport fishermen...IPHC are long-liners thats how they get their data,,,,,NPFMC,is a bunch of long-liners,,,,,,This is the reason why were at this point now, for years IPHC,,recommended higher catch limits for the commercial fleet,almost doubling them in a 10 year period,

Anyone with any brains that fished Halibut could see the decline,we testified at the NPFMC,did everything possible to stop the decline, but all we ever heard was the science supports these catch limits,,,,

What really needs to be done is stop commercial Halibut fishing for five years,Ban trawling permanently,,They are the reason the Halibut are in trouble,not the sport fishermen....If something drastic isn't done the Halibut will all but disappear......I have seen a decline of 50 or 60 % in the last five years....

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    The IPHC can only tell the US and Canada how much they can catch not who's catching. A couple of years back they tried to put a 1 fish limit and it got over turned. The next year the National Fisheries put a 1 fish limit in an it stuck. The National Fisheries is the one that put the Halibut Limited Entry permits out. The North Council makes a suggestion but it has to be approve by the National Fisheries. Too much goverment involved. The National Fisheries could approve we will just have to wait and see. Area 3A could go to 1 fish over 32 inches and 1 fish under 32 inches. I am like you all I can do is sit back and watch.

Here are the facts, IPHC has made this rule. NMFS has one comissioner sitting on the board of IPHC.... In order for it to be overturned, it will need to be done so by the secratary of the Department of Commerce or by a judge in a legal challange, just as it was last time the IPHC, an international treaty organization got involved with a domestic allocation issue.
    That job is supposed to be done the North Pacific Fishery Management Council. They have failed to properly manage all sectors of the halibut fishing from subsistance to factory trawlers.
    As popular as it is to complain about too much governement, i think that not to be the case. In fact it is more a case too little government and too many private busiensses ( read commercial fishermen) controlling the science behind the resource.
    Precisely where government should be doing; sorting out common property reseouces in a fair and equitable way. Not allowing for a tradegey of the commons ( google it - time is short for me)

I suspect, this will be overturned in court and you will be back to 1 fish any size in SE AK for this year. Within the next couple of years the good people at the NPFMC have another " catch sharing plan" which will be more distructive to sport fishermen and more legally defensable. They are talking about taking the paltray 12% we have historically harvested in south central Alaska and reducing it by 33% for no biological reason, just becasue they want to make sure sportfishermen do not go over the traditional harvest number.

Don't worry when the time comes to comment about that screwing, I personally make sure that every single Alaskan is notified about when and where to scream about it.

Stop Commercial Halibut Fishing?
    Good Luck with that. As much as I would like to blame Commercial Fishing for the decline in halibut, The blame rests on all of us. I see sports fishers from private boats, so proud to show off that 100lb plus halibut at the cleaning table. If you attend any Boat or Sportsman shows in Alaska or the lower 48, You will see Charter Companies with lots of posters and photos of Barn Door size Halibut that were taken on their boat. Its legal to keep these large females but its a crime. If we keep killing off the breeding stock they will be gone in short order.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

What is the logic in commercial fisherman having a 32"minimum length and sport fishermen having a 37" maximum length?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Stop Commercial Halibut Fishing?
    Good Luck with that. As much as I would like to blame Commercial Fishing for the decline in halibut, The blame rests on all of us. I see sports fishers from private boats, so proud to show off that 100lb plus halibut at the cleaning table. If you attend any Boat or Sportsman shows in Alaska or the lower 48, You will see Charter Companies with lots of posters and photos of Barn Door size Halibut that were taken on their boat. Its legal to keep these large females but its a crime. If we keep killing off the breeding stock they will be gone in short order.
    Actually The breeding is done by smaller halibut the most.Large female halibut Account for about 1-6 million eggs each while smaller halibut account for several times that.This information was in a fish alaska magazine a few years ago say why it is ok to keep the large halibut even though the smaller ones are tastier.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

But I do agree the blame is on us all...(even though I blame all of those charters with 40-50 halibut layed out on the docks in their brochures) I think sports and commercial should do it like North slope workers one year turns to see which one is the most damaging.Personally Commercial fisherman catch a hell of a lot more halibut than sports fisherman do.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Look there is no doubt that when a stock of fish needs managment, and at this point halibut need managment, everyone likes to point the finger of blame. But you can't fault anyusers if they are operating within the letter of the law. So far all users have met their legal mandate as established but the managing bodies. In my mined, ADF&G to some extent, more so the North Pacific Fishery Managemnt Council and then most of the blame lays with the International Pacific Halibut Comission and their insistance in the implementation of the FUSD managment scenerio that litterly game millions of pounds of halibut back to the commercial fleet at the expense of the resource. I think before we start doing crop rotation fishing or blaming one sector or the other.......We need to look at who is getting paid to manage this resouce to the highest and best use without damaging the health of the biomass. Those the people who should be held accountable to the reductions in 2C.

Akcapt nailed it..

I'd be all for a big cleaning house of all the decision makers who let this happen.

I agree. You can't blame people for following the rules. If keeping large halibut damage the resource, then there should be a rule limiting this activity.

It seems to me that a 1 fish limit with a size restriction holding the maximum fish size to 22 lbs will crush the halibut charter industry in Southeast.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I remember when we were having the big arguments over SE going to 1 halibut, any size.. A few of us warned that if we gave them that, they'd keep going.. Well, those predictions are coming true. Everybody knew the SE fleet couldn't stay at the imaginary limit of 600k lbs that that the industry insiders came up with. It actually happened much more quickly than I thought it would. Look for them to go after sport fishermen and subsistence fishermen in 2012. It's on the agenda. SC is getting a pass, because they don't want to anger the masses.

AKCPAT, Just wondering if you could elaborate on how ADF&G are to blame when the state dosn't manage halibut?

If sports fisherman only harvest 12% of the halibut take and commercial and subsistance users harvest 88%; then, the obvious users to curtail are the 88% groups. They could completely eliminate sport fishermen and still have a potential problem.

Why are commercial fishermen and subsistance users such "sacred cows"? 150 years ago the commercial harvest of buffalo proved to not be sustainable. 100 years ago the commercail harvest of deer and elk to feed the railroad expansion in my home state of Idaho nearly decimated that resource, until it was stopped.

I watched the Sarah Palin's Alaska episode where she went out on the commercial halibut boat out of Homer and they came back with a $75,000 catch. Is that kind of government licenced business sustainable and fair?

I know a charter operator who also qualifies to subsistance fish (I don't know how) who after his sport fishing season, goes out and catches his allotment of halibut before he heads back to Idaho to sit out the winter for six months.

How much of the perceived problem is science? Is the current harvest of halibut really not sustainable? If not, then curtailment and change are in order and it is not too early for sport fishermen to state their case to the people of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    AKCPAT, Just wondering if you could elaborate on how ADF&G are to blame when the state dosn't manage halibut?
    The State does not manage the halibut resource exactly... but they manage the guided sector, data collection of it AND most importantly the Governor appoints every member of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council and the Commissionor has a seat on the Council. So it is really every member of the Council's job to work with the state ( read commissionor of ADF&G) in that process. Usually if the State wants things to go a certain way, it goes that way at the Council. In the last five years or so sportfishermen have not had a freind at the Governors office or sitting at the table representing the State of Alaska. Before that with Knowles / and Campbell at the table, we did.....So that State does not manage the resource but they have a big enough hand in it to effect policy more than,,,, say any other group......

I agree if IPHC continued to manage the stocks as they have and all sportfishing for halibut was banned, it wouldn't be long before the rest of the sectors were in a horrible situation too. This is a good time to reevaluate who is sitting at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    If sports fisherman only harvest 12% of the halibut take and commercial and subsistance users harvest 88%; then, the obvious users to curtail are the 88% groups. They could completely eliminate sport fishermen and still have a potential problem.

Why are commercial fishermen and subsistance users such "sacred cows"? 150 years ago the commercial harvest of buffalo proved to not be sustainable. 100 years ago the commercail harvest of deer and elk to feed the railroad expansion in my home state of Idaho nearly decimated that resource, until it was stopped.

I watched the Sarah Palin's Alaska episode where she went out on the commercial halibut boat out of Homer and they came back with a $75,000 catch. Is that kind of government licenced business sustainable and fair?

I know a charter operator who also qualifies to subsistance fish (I don't know how) who after his sport fishing season, goes out and catches his allotment of halibut before he heads back to Idaho to sit out the winter for six months.

How much of the perceived problem is science? Is the current harvest of halibut really not sustainable? If not, then curtailment and change are in order and it is not too early for sport fishermen to state their case to the people of Alaska.
    I thought only alaska residents were allowed subsistence???

Halibut subsistence is the biggest scam going, with virtually no enforcement. Opened the door WIDE open for all kinds of black market activity, not to mention that a good amount of "subsistence" halibut goes home in fish boxes of visiting relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    Please elaborate on the $75,000 catch.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast