Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wolverine #4, fox #5, marten # 3

Default wolverine #4, fox #5, marten # 3

pretty good first day to the week...snared the wolverine, trapped the fox and marten in leg holds.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Man Jake, it seems like you've got that wolverine thing dialed in. Not a bad season at all, eh?

ya things are working right now brian, got some sweet bait out, and traps on the ground. not trying to clean the area out and get as many critters as we can, just a variety to give these clients a great experience and some new additions to their trophy room. i'm not about killing as many wolverines or fox as we can. only got about 3 dozen traps out at the most, i think right now we are actually less than 30 out....could be running 80-90 sets...but i like this country the way it is....like seeing loads of fox tracks...makes each day exciting.
    Master guide 212

Looks like your clients are having a Great Time, yourself also, geez what a job,

Thanks for the pics, Well Done, great seeing folks appreciating the real deal like that.
    Are your clients mostly from Outside ? or not?

What a thrill that must be to come up on a Wolverine !!!!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

ya seeing a wolverine caught for the first time is pretty exciting.
    clients have been from russia, spain and MI, they've all been blown away by alaska in the winter and snowmachining around...
    Master guide 212

Way cool Jake......Those guys must be having an awsome time & your making that wolverine catching look to easy, must be a few in that country, enjoy seeing the pics, keep it up!

gees,
    you are wolverine killer!
    you sure have it figured out.

Good job Jake. Anyone reading these post and contemplating a guided hunt get a hold of Jake. He gets things done.

4 Wolverines -dang! There must be a high density of them around there - I wonder how long that will last?

it'll last a long time. i've caught all of them in a one mile stretch of trail. so i haven't even tapped into the surounding 2000 square miles...now as long as everyone from the forums don't come out trapping...thing should be ok!
    Master guide 212

Pretty amazing to catch 4 in 1 mile of trail - within a month or so. Everything I've ever heard is they have a large home range and generally low densities. Be interesting to see how many wolverines you catch on that 1 mile line next year. Anyway, you've done well for sure, live it up!

i'd imagine a couple of them were drawn in feeding on the grizzly kill that was here for about two months or so. they were probably pulled in while traveling. i've seen three together on grizzly hunts before, and they cover ALOT of ground when they want to. great habitat here, food out the ying. I was suprised to pick them all up so close as well, we've seen other tracks around though to. i know one guy traps east of here about 30l miles, they took 8 off their line last year and they trap it every other year....
    would suprise me to not catch any in that same mile for five years, but move over 2 miles and catch another four...just the way things work sometimes. those four were caught in only 2 different sets.
    Master guide 212

Great job Jake! Way to get out and enjoy the winter and still keep clients happy and make a living!!

You are so busy catching animals, when do you have time to skin? Really though, do you have clients go through the skinning and fur handling process also? For me that would really add to the experience.
    Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
    ARR

do most all my skinning at night after dinner. the clients sit around and watch most the time and help when i need it. but most of the stuff they are just doing lifesize mounts of, which is nice.
    we picked up another red fox, marten and otter today.
    Master guide 212

Nice work once again. Looks like a lot of fun....errr I mean another tough daily grind in the office huh. Congrats.

if anyone has a probem with me posting pictures from my trappline because of personal interst, please just pm me or email me directly....more than happy to communicate with anyone who has concerns. thanks.
    Master guide 212

are people really complaining about your pictures on here Jake?...im loving the pictures personally...your kicking butt up there...looks like a nice neck catch on that wolverine...good job..i've seen wolverine that have been hip snared and it gets ugly...gorgeous color on it too
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Love this thread. I can't trap yet since I haven't made a year, but next winter I am going to get into it and a wolverine is #1 on my list. Any tips on a good type of bait they like?

bait isn't so much the ticket as having a wolverine just find your set. i lucked out and found a dead grizzly they had been feeding on for several months...then they were really easy to catch. no misses, no stolen bait, just good hook ups.
    biggest thing i can tell you is to respect other trappers, most get very unfriendly if you move into an area they have been working and start going to town...they are worse than sheep hunters when it comes to areas.
    The reason people got upset (some actually called a local biologist who also traps and complained about me postin' pics on forums!) with me postin' pic is because they are afraid people will actually go to an area they see someone else already trapping and start putting traps in...and sadly people do. The internet has stunted some peoples creativity...
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast