Thread: yugo mauser 24/47...

Default yugo mauser 24/47...

i picked up a very clean, original 24/47 yugo mauser 98 rifle.
    this is a large ring, intermediate length action, chambered and barrelled to 7.62x54.
    what are good, viable candidates for re-chambering this to a more powerful 7.62 rifle?

I'm making mine into a .358 Win, but I checked the magazine length and I could fit my 9.3x62 reloads (Hornady 286 SP) into the magazine. OBTW, your rifle is more likely chambered in 8x57 mauser, not a 7.62x54 - which is the usual round for a Rooshian Moisin Nagant.

If the bore and rifling are nice and clean, your could rent a reamer and make it a 8mm-06, which is a 30-06 necked up to 8mm. A very nice round that takes advantage of better pressures and velocities and available heavy bullets.

Are you looking for speed or mass? 6.5x284 (speed):

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Mass: 358 Win throwing a 250 grain bullet

Lots of options.

you are correct......8mm 98. i got it in a multiple item trade. i thought both rifles were 7.62.
    a good amateur gunsmith friend has a .300 win mag reamer. i have a deal with him to make me a good shooter.....325wsm.

M48 Yugo Mauser is a wierd kinda little gem facts are
    1. Its a large ring mauser same as a K98
    2. Reciever length is shorter than a K98 same length as a K96 sweede small ring mauser
    3. Known as a intermediate length Mauser
    4. Most NEVER EVER SAW ISSUE
    5. CHEAP

I purchased a complete refurb rifle for around 125.00 about 5 yrs ago and built the Wife the sexiest little 257 roberts ackley improved Check lengths before you get to crazy with reamersand the such GOOD luck

hunt hard hunt safe

WILL

I would suggest you seek an alternate caliber for your M48. This mauser clone isn't designed for the WSM pressures. Mausers were designed to operate at a lower CUP pressures than are produced by the WSM line of cartridges. Check magazine lengths to allow for COL with your desired round.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I alway thoutht that 8x57 was a dandy round just in it's self, seems sad to modify a piece of history.

Rest in Peace Bilbo, you will be missed.....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I alway thoutht that 8x57 was a dandy round just in it's self, seems sad to modify a piece of history.
    I agree. And, there wouldn't be any feeding issues.

If rebarreling is necessary, you could go with the 7x57.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

+1 on this.
    The '98 is a great action those WSMs run the pressure quite high.
    I would tend to go toward something like a 338-06 or 35 Whelen on an old Mauser action.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I would suggest you seek an alternate caliber for your M48. This mauser clone isn't designed for the WSM pressures. Mausers were designed to operate at a lower CUP pressures than are produced by the WSM line of cartridges. Check magazine lengths to allow for COL with your desired round.